Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw Gordon Lightfoot Last Thursday

The water in lake Superior is clear as glass and a very beautiful place.
    It's also bone-chilling cold, even in the summer. Once in July we were visiting friends on the north shore and we had a black lab that loved to swim. He hit that endless sea running and didn't look back. Damn thing must have gone at least 150 yards out and all I could see was a little black spot on the waves. He eventually turned back and came ashore. I waded in a little because I was wearing shorts. Damn, I could feel my testicles receding before the water even reached my knees. It was felt like it was only a few degrees above freezing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's also bone-chilling cold, even in the summer. Once in July we were visiting friends on the north shore and we had a black lab that loved to swim. He hit that endless sea running and didn't look back. Damn thing must have gone at least 150 yards out and all I could see was a little black spot on the waves. He eventually turned back and came ashore. I waded in a little because I was wearing shorts. Damn, I could feel my testicles receding before the water even reached my knees. It was felt like it was only a few degrees above freezing.
    Yes, Superior never gets very warm. The last two winters it has completely frozen over in the winter which is pretty amazing when you consider the size of it and how deep it is. Lake Michigan (near where I live) gets swimmable in the summer time, but Superior is a whole different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    10 degrees & getting colder!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point is a must visit if any of you are in the U.P. and a Lightfoot fan. The water in lake Superior is clear as glass and a very beautiful place.
    It's gorgeous! I've never seen such deep blue waters. I grew up half an hour from Lake Michigan, I've waded in the Atlantic, and I currently live just a few minutes from Puget Sound ... and I've never seen a body of water as pure and beautiful as Lake Superior. I sure hope I can get back there one day.