Thread: Art in America – “Hentschel Sessions 2013”

Art in America – “Hentschel Sessions 2013”

For those that are interested in our band, we have implemented plan B and loaded up the 6 tracks produced by David Hentschel for sale on Amazon , iTunes, Google Play, and other various sites (streaming on Spotify). Unable to raise the funds through a label signing, or through crowdfunding, we have put it up for sale ourselves, via Tunecore. I had hoped for a better outcome, but I'll be damned if I'm going to just have these 6 tracks sitting on my computer. I have opted to disseminate them.

Album is called “Hentschel Sessions – 2013”.

aia album cover at 700.jpg

Here are two Youtube slideshow vids of the first 2 tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-83fIKA9ev4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TISqKu9jwm0

(Please excuse the lame slideshow, I 'll improve on these when I'm more familiar with the program)

Also included on the album are 6 bonus tracks. BTW, bass on the 6 Hentschel tracks is played by Tony Levin.

Cheers,
    Chris Flynn (aka Chris Ruetenik)

I am listening now and I have to say in all honesty it sounds really good. I really like this kind of stuff. It's refreshing to hear something that doesn't sound like it's trying be Genesis with Steve Hackett(not that there's anything wrong with that but let's face it that gets old after a while). Your stuff sounds very interesting and unique without scaring away too many people. Good luck to you and you now have one more fan.

Also, I did enjoy the song from the eighties called "art in america" that was apparently a minor hit back in the day(if this is the same band) but this sounds nothing like that.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Nice!

Chris,

GREAT job on "I am I"!!! Totally captures the original sound from the debut (with obvious reason...)
    This definitely is the sort of tune that gets played at Sirius/XM. Very nice. I will be ordering the release.
    <CORRECTION - JUST ORDERED>

I know I mentioned previously, but please - please - please do a studio version of Waves...!
    There is so much power/melody/passion in that song that it deserves proper treatment.

Keep the faith!
    AC
    Last edited by irongoalie; 06-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks A.C. I'll think about working up that song "Waves" in the studio. Hentschel passed on that one by the way. He just felt that song was very "1980s". I do have some problems with it as well , in that the entire middle section builds up to a climax, and then just runs through the entire sequence again, with no variation. We had more than one argument concerning that. The verses and original concept of the song were mine. I showed up to rehearsal one day and Garry and Jim had written a different chorus for the song. We were a band and we wanted a certain amount flexibility in those days ( mid 1990s) which culminated in a great deal of collaboration. We didn't want a song being etched in stone. I suppose I could be far too critical on that song. You aren't alone in telling me that's it's a keeper.

Art in America is in a bit of stuck mode. We were unable to interest anyone in these sessions. I never contacted Inside Out, I'd certainly love to get their input.

If we can raise the cash , then we will finish a proper album, so far it's just the 6 songs. I've released them and included some bonus tracks through Tunecore. After we recorded these 6, I sent David Hentschel 64 songs, out of which he picked an additional 16 to record.

Meanwhile, I've had 2 surgeries this year, one being a full blown detached retina. I'm mending. I continue to write and I'll keep posting up my songs and self releasing Art in America albums if we can't interest any boutique smaller labels.

Cheers!

Chris Flynn

Chris, I am listening to Hentschel Sessions right now, nice. This is highly recomended! PS Remember your Devos Hall show in Grand Rapids and the instore at Believe In Music?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuzzlewit View Post
    Thanks A.C. I'll think about working up that song "Waves" in the studio. Hentschel passed on that one by the way. He just felt that song was very "1980s". I do have some problems with it as well , in that the entire middle section builds up to a climax, and then just runs through the entire sequence again, with no variation. We had more than one argument concerning that. The verses and original concept of the song were mine. I showed up to rehearsal one day and Garry and Jim had written a different chorus for the song. We were a band and we wanted a certain amount flexibility in those days ( mid 1990s) which culminated in a great deal of collaboration. We didn't want a song being etched in stone. I suppose I could be far too critical on that song. You aren't alone in telling me that's it's a keeper.

Art in America is in a bit of stuck mode. We were unable to interest anyone in these sessions. I never contacted Inside Out, I'd certainly love to get their input.

If we can raise the cash , then we will finish a proper album, so far it's just the 6 songs. I've released them and included some bonus tracks through Tunecore. After we recorded these 6, I sent David Hentschel 64 songs, out of which he picked an additional 16 to record.

Meanwhile, I've had 2 surgeries this year, one being a full blown detached retina. I'm mending. I continue to write and I'll keep posting up my songs and self releasing Art in America albums if we can't interest any boutique smaller labels.

Cheers!

Chris Flynn
    Hi Chris,

I am liking the latest releases, but I keep coming back to Waves...!

After my last listen, why couldn't you just end, and wind the song down around the 6:10 mark? The beginning part of the piece reminds me a little of Midnight Sun by Asia, then transforms into a little Genesis, but with the AIA trademark sound - all which are a good thing...

Any plans for new releases, and maybe collaborate with other like-minded musicians, such as Steve Morse again, or Neal, or grab Jordan Rudess, Eddie Jobson?
    Might make for some interesting music?

AC

Their original album is great, a lot of fun. I cannot find The Hentshel sessions anywhere. Looking on Amazon, they have it listed for 9.99 but it's also listed as only being 5 minutes long. I'd like to get it, but I'd prefer a silver cd if possible. If not, are the tracks available for download anywhere else? The Amazon listing does not have the correct artwork either.

Great band. Another great Eddy Offord production. Steve Morse on arrangements. And later, Tony Levin on bass! What more could you ask for?

More worryingly, it appears that Chris has not posted here in almost 5 years. I am more concerned for his health at this point, and the fact that he seemed optimistic about releasing their Hentschel recordings, and perhaps others, but nothing really materialized.
    It appears that Chris didn't go down the self-release road that he mentioned in a post above. I am not sure if his health issues became prohibitive, or if, God forbid, he just went the "fuck it" route.
    Chris, If you are still out there, please let us know you are ok, for starters. That will ease my mind, as a fan and admirer from the day I heard you on the radio, during an extremely 'dead' time in music (and I hope you take this as a compliment--my first hearing on the air I thought Phil Keaggy had gone secular!!).

Anyhow...please, Chris, let us know the state of your health and any recordings you have in your paws. Lots of us would love to hear them, and some people smarter than me might be able to advise you on how to get them heard. In any case, you CAN'T let them sit dormant. Get them out. We can help!!!!!!

Man, I hope you are still out there....
    Geoff

http://www.artinamericamusic.com/our-music.html shows the sesions, but Amazon indeed has only one track.

John Boegehold
    Not sure he's on PE much anymore, but he's alive and well on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ArtinAmerica.music/

Not at home right now but this was as I recall a full cd that was released.

Okay, their Facebook page is good, and includes links to Soundcloud. I bought a live album from them from Google Play, which is short but quite good (and under $7.) It's interesting hearing them play this stuff live. The Hentschel Sessions is on Google Play and also on iTunes. Great stuff.