Thread: Want to rip cassettes and LP's to hardrive? What do I need?????

Want to rip cassettes and LP's to hardrive? What do I need?????

I have seen the USB turntables, but do not have a clue as to what to buy!! And how do I rip Cassette's to computer and convert to WAV or MP3 or FLAC. I know that it can be done, but not sure of how and what I need and what is good to do it!!! Thanks for any help and input

Dave

You do not "rip" analog recordings (vinyl or cassette) to a digital file. You must record them in real time.
    You can "rip" compact discs because they are already digital recordings. If you are looking for a simple solution for vinyl, I recommend this:http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B002S1CJ2Q.
    For converting cassette, you really need a decent cassette deck and a small professional mixer like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-402-VLZ...Mackie+VLZ-402
    Do NOT buy a cassette converter unit that installs into your computer. Those are absolute CRAP.
    The best way to record is to WAV files, then convert to the file type of your choice using a conversion program. I record using Audacity. I use Easy CD-DA Extractor to convert those files.
    I also recommend that you place your music files on a external hard drive, not your PCs internal drive.

How many records and tapes?

I.e. would it be less expensive (and a lot easier) to simply buy digital versions from iTunes/Amazon/etc..?

If you do the math, I'd be surprised if the investment in hardware is worth it - even disregarding personal effort etc.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    How many records and tapes?

I.e. would it be less expensive (and a lot easier) to simply buy digital versions from iTunes/Amazon/etc..?

If you do the math, I'd be surprised if the investment in hardware is worth it - even disregarding personal effort etc.
    Three words for you: out of print.

Three more: not available digitally

Four more: never released on CD.

iTunes doesn’t own the world. Yet.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Liebste, ich will lange bei dir liegen / Die Augen der Liebsten”-Electra/Ein Tag wie eine Brücke
    Last edited by Progbear; 12-24-2012 at 03:19 PM.

I have had good results with a USB turntable, but it is fiddly and time consuming, and honestly it is easier to buy a download than invest as Duncan points out. If its oop look for an online source, it's hardly crime of the century.

I have wondered about the USB cassette units as I have a bunch of compilations from old magazines (mostly NME) that I would like to convert, but have always been suspicious that results will be poor, and am not minded to spend on a higher tech solution.

Take an old pc and set it up next to your amp. Go to radio shack and buy a jack that converts a two jack audio cord to the standard stereo one jack plug. Plug the new one jack plug into you pc audio card. Use Audio software like goldwave to capture audio from the input jack. Play around with sound controls to get input sound balance. Record, real-time the record. Save audio file. Use Wav splitter software (cd wave), to split record side into songs. Convert song .wav files to .mp3 and add titles and tags (godfather or iTunes). Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    You do not "rip" analog recordings (vinyl or cassette) to a digital file. You must record them in real time.
    You can "rip" compact discs because they are already digital recordings. If you are looking for a simple solution for vinyl, I recommend this:http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B002S1CJ2Q.
    For converting cassette, you really need a decent cassette deck and a small professional mixer like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-402-VLZ...Mackie+VLZ-402
    Do NOT buy a cassette converter unit that installs into your computer. Those are absolute CRAP.
    The best way to record is to WAV files, then convert to the file type of your choice using a conversion program. I record using Audacity. I use Easy CD-DA Extractor to convert those files.
    I also recommend that you place your music files on a external hard drive, not your PCs internal drive.
    Jubal why do I need to get a mixer for the cassettes, I have no clue as to how to do this maybe you can explain and help me with this process please

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Three words for you: out of print.

Three more: not available digitally

Four more: never released on CD.
    3 Words for you:

Okay, okay, okay!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    Jubal why do I need to get a mixer for the cassettes, I have no clue as to how to do this maybe you can explain and help me with this process please
    Going direct from your cassette deck to the mic input on your PC will not provide sufficient signal strength to get a good recording. If you run the output of your cassette deck to a decent mixer, you can increase the signal enough to get a good recording on your PC. You'll need to run the rca output from your cassette deck to the stereo inputs on one of the channels on your mixer. Then you run the main output from your mixer using a RCA to 1/8" "mini" jack to your mic input on your PC. You record on your PC using the Audacity program, which is available for free online. The simplest way to organize is to record one track at a time and name it. Make sure you remember where you store it. The logical place is the "My Music" section of your hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Going direct from your cassette deck to the mic input on your PC will not provide sufficient signal strength to get a good recording. If you run the output of your cassette deck to a decent mixer, you can increase the signal enough to get a good recording on your PC. You'll need to run the rca output from your cassette deck to the stereo inputs on one of the channels on your mixer. Then you run the main output from your mixer using a RCA to 1/8" "mini" jack to your mic input on your PC. You record on your PC using the Audacity program, which is available for free online. The simplest way to organize is to record one track at a time and name it. Make sure you remember where you store it. The logical place is the "My Music" section of your hard drive.
    The above info will work great. However, if you can spare $500.00, then the TEAC driven LP/Cassette to CD/Digital converter from Hammacher Schlemmer is the way to go! A friend owns this, and the results are unbelievable! HIGH quality transfers from both lp's and cassettes. Noise reduction is outstanding, no muffled or buried sounds, and somehow both the tape and lp transfers sound better than the originals. It's as if the machine just sucks up the sound and then pastes a much improved version of the original digitally. I've been doing transfers similar to Jubal's. But when I have the money to spare, I too will by this converter/recorder because it is THAT good, and well worth the money. And it's very easy to use and do the transfers. I could not recommend it more highly.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/lpcass
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Dam wish I had an extra 500 laying around because if I did I would snag me one of those rigs, thanks for the info, may just have to start saving for one....

It's totally worth the investment! My wife got me that unit from Hammacher Schlemmer last Christmas, and I use it every day, either for the radio, CDs, or LPs. Sounds great and plays great. I haven't used the CD recorder too often, but the results I've gotten with it are excellent.

I have just rune(still do) the rca 2 to 1 jack($5.00 dollars at radio shack) from my amp/receiver to line-in on the computer and record. There is plenty of a signal too!. Once in a blue moon I normalize the signal to 75 decibels for decent signal boost and lots of breathing room. I do not normalize the whole track at once but, rather do each track separately. I am very pleased with the results!

I use Cool Edit Pro for the software side, it does everything you need to do...I burn with Media Player at the slowest speed possible and do not do anything else while recording or burning!
    Classic Nektar lives on @ http://www.thenektarproject.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticWalden View Post
    Take an old pc and set it up next to your amp. Go to radio shack and buy a jack that converts a two jack audio cord to the standard stereo one jack plug. Plug the new one jack plug into you pc audio card. Use Audio software like goldwave to capture audio from the input jack. Play around with sound controls to get input sound balance. Record, real-time the record. Save audio file. Use Wav splitter software (cd wave), to split record side into songs. Convert song .wav files to .mp3 and add titles and tags (godfather or iTunes). Enjoy
    Best way! I personally use Cool Edit Pro for audio recording/editing/converting...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My solution is probably not that practical, but it works for me. I record the stuff with my harddiskrecorder, connected to my stereo-setup. Then I burn the stuff on a CDRW, to transfer it to my PC, so I can do some editing.