Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RUSH R40 Tour

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    from RTB...... The Big Wheel is a great track. i don't think they ever performed it live.

otherwise, looks like the same old songs live.
    I don't get it. People have clamored for Jacob's Ladder for years (not played since 1980), as well as Camera Eye (which got played on one tour since 1983. It looks like they're getting their wishes but it's still not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I don't get it. People have clamored for Jacob's Ladder for years (not played since 1980), as well as Camera Eye (which got played on one tour since 1983. It looks like they're getting their wishes but it's still not enough.
    I get what you're saying, though for me personally "Jacob's Ladder" is the only one I'll miss seeing. And there's a fair amount in the list that has me thinking "Really?" If this is indeed the Last Rush Tour Ever it just seems disproportionately weighted toward the post-Moving Pictures era, with a surprisingly large amount of songs from the last 15 years. That's why I was wondering if there might not be two legs planned -- one where they get more mileage out of the CMFA stuff and a later one where they spread things out a bit more.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I think folk may be feeling slightly let down by earlier band comments that they were digging deeper into their catalogue this time around, along with Peart's decision to go for a slimmed down kit circa the old days.

It's great to see Jacob and a bit of Hemispheres in the potential list, but I was kinda hoping for a bit more - MP and PW have been well catered for in the last few tours, and the Signals to HYF era got a fair shout on the CA tour. The Presto - T4E era were my wilderness years where I lost interest for a while, so no great desire to see the setlist loaded with those tracks.

But....the proof will be in the pudding from Friday as the setlists begin to firm up on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I get what you're saying, though for me personally "Jacob's Ladder" is the only one I'll miss seeing. And there's a fair amount in the list that has me thinking "Really?" If this is indeed the Last Rush Tour Ever it just seems disproportionately weighted toward the post-Moving Pictures era, with a surprisingly large amount of songs from the last 15 years. That's why I was wondering if there might not be two legs planned -- one where they get more mileage out of the CMFA stuff and a later one where they spread things out a bit more.
    I think the reason there is so much post-MP stuff is because Geddy can't handle the vox like he used to.

I think the reason there is so much post-MP stuff is because Geddy can't handle the vox like he used to.
    Well, there is that...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    I agree, Rush fans can be quite the finicky bunch.

I think people are knee jerking a bit with this set list. I for one am pretty happy with it and can buy into the theory that they may be swapping some songs out on a nightly basis. Especially the CA selections. Kind hard to believe they would open with 4 straight songs from CA, though it wouldn't bother me too much since those are probably my 4 favorite songs from the album.

I also agree with the theory that some of the songs may not have video productions so there are no credits for them. Another theory could be that Alex and Geddy do an acoustic set of two or three songs that there would be no video for.

All in all, I am looking forward to another great performance.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    I get what you're saying, though for me personally "Jacob's Ladder" is the only one I'll miss seeing. And there's a fair amount in the list that has me thinking "Really?" If this is indeed the Last Rush Tour Ever it just seems disproportionately weighted toward the post-Moving Pictures era, with a surprisingly large amount of songs from the last 15 years.
    No offense, but I don't understand what set list you looked at. There are 22 songs listed on the "potential" set list. Of those 6 are from the last 15 years and 11 are from the post MP era. MP was the band's 8th studio album, they released 11 more after that. 11 of the songs are from MP and prior. In fact those 11 songs are from 5 albums 2112-MP which most Rush fans seem to cite as their best era. To me it seems they are trying to cater to a large swath of their fan base. Including the ones who say they did nothing good after MP. Another fact is there are no songs from T4E, Presto or HYF, which I've heard a lot of fans say are Rush's weakest.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

This is the answer.

"Rush isn't playing anything from before Permanent Waves!"

"Rush had to tune down for the stuff before Permanent Waves!"

It's a no-win situation.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think the set list is dictated by what Geddy can reach on a regular basis night after night. Hence, not too much of the 70s stuff.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Geddy can hit notes on Cyngus X-1, but not AFtK or Cinderella Man? I'm guessing that the Cygnus part is just his bass lines/instrumental, like they've done in the past.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Necromancer or bust!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The possible spoiler list came from the tour program that some VIP ticket holders are starting to recieve.

The songs listed are the ones that have visual animations or films in the show. The list was compiled from the credits. They've already said that they will be possibly alternating up to 6-7 songs per night so I doubt that all listed will be present in the same show.

There will be other songs that have no visual film components as well.

I doubt that all 4 CMFA songs will all be in one show. My bet is that they do two per night and rotate them. Just a guess. We will see in 2 days when the tour kicks off in Tulsa.
    Folks may have glossed over this post. The list is only of songs that require animation. There are most likely other songs in the set. If 4 Clockwork Angels songs are listed, it doesn't mean they're doing all 4 every night - perhaps only 2/night and alternating songs.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Can't be possible that Rush are playing an anniversary set with no true surprises, can it? Unless there's more than a few minutes of Cygnus. But if the list is right, then the big moments on this tour (2112, Camera Eye) are repeats, and that's not a very Rush thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Can't be possible that Rush are playing an anniversary set with no true surprises, can it? Unless there's more than a few minutes of Cygnus. But if the list is right, then the big moments on this tour (2112, Camera Eye) are repeats, and that's not a very Rush thing to do.
    Jacob has called and wants his ladder back.

Jacob has called and wants his ladder back.
    Well, good to see that one again, but I think we were all hoping for something truly surprising-- for me I guess that means something that either wasn't played live before or not captured on a live album, if not a biggie like Hemispheres or Lamneth.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    So I guess you hate Clockwork Angels?
    You know, it's like every Rush album after the golden period ('77-'87)--ok to meh on first listen, generally forgettable with the passage of time.

Unlike "La Villa", "Natural Science" '"the Camera Eye" et al. Which remain with you for a lifetime.

I mean, Genesis and Yes were in their prime for a few year period. Rush had their wheelhouse, too.

And then wound up swinging and missing with every release.
    ''

I'm just happy to see only 2 songs from the 90s on there. (though it sounds like there may be more?)

Well, good to see that one again, but I think we were all hoping for something truly surprising-- for me I guess that means something that either wasn't played live before or not captured on a live album, if not a biggie like Hemispheres or Lamneth.
    If you really thought Lamneth had a chance of being played then you must not follow the band much. That hasn't been played live since the CoS tour (and even then rarely) and the band has been on record saying they wish they could disown that album as a whole.

If you really thought Lamneth had a chance of being played then you must not follow the band much. That hasn't been played live since the CoS tour (and even then rarely) and the band has been on record saying they wish they could disown that album as a whole.
    True, but they're also aware that it pretty much tops the list of "most wanted" live tracks, at least since Camera Eye got played.

If you polled every fan, I would bet something like "Hemispheres" would top the list, if they had to pick only one piece. So, play what you want, then close with it and go home.

That might entice me to see them one more time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If you polled every fan, I would bet something like "Hemispheres" would top the list, if they had to pick only one piece. So, play what you want, then close with it and go home.
    If it does turn out they're playing the whole piece than I'm absolutely overjoyed, but it seems from the list that it's more of a long intro to 2112.

If it does turn out they're playing the whole piece than I'm absolutely overjoyed, but it seems from the list that it's more of a long intro to 2112.
    I'd bet money it's just the intro. They had it in the set list back in the 90s so it's probably not faded entirely from memory.

I'd bet money it's just the intro. They had it in the set list back in the 90s so it's probably not faded entirely from memory.
    Yeah, they played it (Hemispheres Prelude) when I saw them on the Counterparts tour in Toronto:

Dreamline
    The Spirit of Radio
    The Analog Kid
    Cold Fire
    Time Stand Still
    Nobody's Hero
    Roll the Bones
    Animate
    Stick It Out
    Double Agent
    Limelight
    Bravado
    Mystic Rhythms
    Closer to the Heart
    Show Don't Tell
    Leave That Thing Alone
    Drum Solo
    The Trees
    Xanadu
    Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude
    Tom Sawyer
    Force Ten
    YYZ (w/ "Cygnus X-1" tease)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've seen every Rush tour since the Signals tour, and they 100% kick all kinds of ass every single time.

It'd be insane for me not to see them on this tour; especially because it may be their last. I don't give a f*ck what they play. If Rush is in town, I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    I don't give a f*ck what they play. If Rush is in town, I am there.
    Dude!