Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEARfest reflections

I Went to NEARfest in 2003 and it was a magical experience. Got to meet some very cool people that I'm still friends with today, buy Roger Dean an orange juice and rap with him for quite a bit about the architectural projects he was doing at the time...heard some amazing music and bought around 1,000 CDs I never would have found anywhere. I don't remember sleeping much.

As mentioned, here were at least some of the bands...just an incredible lineup. Hats off to Rob and Chad and Kev for working their asses off to make these events happen.

Camel, Magma, The Flower Kings, Änglagård, Kraan, Tunnels, Glass Hammer, Alamaailman Vasarat, High Wheel, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    (The Laser's Edge/Cuneiform Records Preshow: Miriodor, Woodenhead, and IZZ)
    Last edited by Leibowitz; 04-26-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Banned
    One persistent memory I have, is viewing the art of Renaissance vocalist Annie Haslam in the hallway and then hearing conversation about a new Renaissance release "Tuscany". I asked if they had it, and the answer was not there but at a vendor table. Annie was there and I asked if Renaissance would ever re-unite, and the answer was an emphatic No. I guess there was an element of truth in that since Tout was a key person.

If I could time travel, round trip, to one point in time, it would be a very hard choice among Zappa in 1974, Tull in 73, Cardiacs in the late 80s, or NEARfest 2003. Good Gawd what a lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    If I could time travel, round trip, to one point in time, it would be a very hard choice among Zappa in 1974, Tull in 73, Cardiacs in the late 80s, or NEARfest 2003. Good Gawd what a lineup.
    I want a time machine that can be used as many times as I'd like. I'd check out all the NF's that I missed. But that would be just the beginning.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The big reflection:
    Looking over that list I am happy to say that with the exception of 2012 when I did not arrive until late Saturday afternoon, I saw at least some of every single set. I always went into it with an open mind and at the very least checked out every band. There are very few that I did not stay through the whole sets, and often there were bands who I did not think I would dig who ended up being my favorites of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The big reflection:

NEARfest 2002

Steve Hackett, Nektar, echolyn, Caravan, Isildurs Bane, Enchant, Miriodor, Gerard, La Torre dell'Alchimista, and Spaced Out
    (The Laser's Edge/Cuneiform Records Preshow: McGill/Manring/Stevens, Doctor Nerve, and Dysrhythmia)
    This was my year, front row center. Miriodor and Gerard stole the show over Hackett for me in particular. My guest was in 70s prog nirvana seeing Nektar once again and Hackett for the first time since his Lamb show in NYC. Fantastic weekend.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Looking over that list I am happy to say that with the exception of 2012 when I did not arrive until late Saturday afternoon, I saw at least some of every single set. I always went into it with an open mind and at the very least checked out every band. There are very few that I did not stay through the whole sets, and often there were bands who I did not think I would dig who ended up being my favorites of the weekend.
    I would think that NF introduced most everyone who attended to at least one band that they knew nothing about before hand that became a favorite. Maybe some would list their discoveries.

Never could make one because if work. Looked forward to when I retired and could make one....never happened. .Will regret not coming up with a scheme to make one .0

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    This was my year, front row center. Miriodor and Gerard stole the show over Hackett for me in particular. My guest was in 70s prog nirvana seeing Nektar once again and Hackett for the first time since his Lamb show in NYC. Fantastic weekend.
    My guest also loved the Nektar performance. I really enjoyed and purchased Ilsirdurs Bane.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Never could make one because if work. Looked forward to when I retired and could make one....never happened. .Will regret not coming up with a scheme to make one .0
    Go to ROSfest, they have changed their line-ups in the direction of Nearfest.

I've been to the last 5 and will be at Rosfest this weekend. Nearest was always the last weekend if school do it wouldn't look good for the principal to miss the Gr 8 grad on Monday. Rosfest was middle of the year. I had to do some crazy things to get time off for those.

chalkpie
    Loved this festival! Saw out first one in 2002, actually got to play in 2005, and saw a bunch but missed the last one. SGM, Magma 2003, Present, Anglagard, Keneally, UZ, Bob Drake etc the list goes on. The hang was always as fun as the music IMO.

Thanks so much to the NF crew and all involved.

Miriodir, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, and Hydria Spacefolk are the bands who I knew nothing about and blew me away. There were some others, but those three standout for me.

Loved NEARfest, good times with good friends.

My favorite performances were SGM, Magma, Camel, Univers Zero, Kenso, Present, PFM, Banco, The Muffins and Anglagard

We were also lucky to play at the apocalapse 2012.

Thx guys!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Nearfest was such a profound experience for we the two times I went, that on my next CD I am listing them as a musical influence in the liner notes.

Coming from the West Coast it wasn't always easy or affordable to go, but I did manage to make it a few times:

Great memories of hanging out with a number of folks on this site (long before I ever even looked at PE). Drinking beer until the wee hours, spinning tunes all the while.

I equally miss the LA area Progfests that happened in the '90s. Those were just as fun for me and a little closer to home.

I only managed it once, in 2002, because, you know, the return of the original Nektar. And Steve Hackett.

The big surprises for me were Caravan, Miriodor, and Spaced Out, all great bands.

The others didn't do as much for me, but echolyn was the only one that "inspired" me to head for the bathroom, so nine out of ten is a damn good ratio.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I only managed it once, in 2002, because, you know, the return of the original Nektar. And Steve Hackett.

The big surprises for me were Caravan, Miriodor, and Spaced Out, all great bands.

The others didn't do as much for me, but echolyn was the only one that "inspired" me to head for the bathroom, so nine out of ten is a damn good ratio.
    That's probably because they played their epic "Mei" in it's entirety. I'm sure you have rediscovered them since then and found out what a great band they really are in spite of your initial impression.

Seeing Echolyn play "The Great Men", even though I think Brett doesn't like it, was awesome. (Boy, do I ever have a selfish streak!) Seeing the NF crowd discover IZZ was great. Having the second Steve Hackett set surpass the amazing first one with a dream setlist and a syncopated kick drum part ramping up "Every Day" to even greater heights was, well, spine tingling. And all the great musicians I got to meet and share my coffee with over the years (Paul Sears and Dave Kerman were guys I looked forward to seeing every year).

Actually, no, I haven't yet "discovered" echolyn. There's so much great music that I can't discover it all...especially on a strictly limited music budget.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I saw echolyn at NF in 2008 and they didn't grab me at all. I wish I could relive that experience now that I've had a chance to hear more of their recorded output.
    <sig out of order>

I went to all of the first maybe 7 or 8 fests. Some truly remarkable and memorable performances, quite a few bucket bands off the list, and many wonderful new discoveries.

I am super glad it existed, and have nothing but kudos for the folks who kept it rolling for so many years
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I wish I could have gone to more of them than the two I played at - would've been fantastic to experience it all with a completely carefree mind and no obligations other than to have a good time (Well I ATTEMPT to bring that mindset to my performances too but sometimes other realities intrude...).

Can't say enough good things about the gentlemen who made it all happen - much gratitude forever, guys.

I saw 7 of them: 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 12 (had tix for '04 but sold them out of guilt citing that my Wife just lost her job, skipped 10 because the line-up did nothing for me except Three Friends & The Enid)

Of all of them, several stand-out memories:

03: Magma, Anglagard, Camel, Ala. Vassserat
    PFM Headlining: With no shame, I cried openly several times during their set
    Magma a 2nd time
    Anglagard a 2nd time
    FM
    Niacin
    Hatfield & The North
    Kenso
    K. Emerson
    Wobbler !!!!
    IQ
    Discipline

Great times, good friends...(But a VERY long drive from Atlanta) I miss it no doubt.

...and I had a lot of fun putting together the crossword puzzle that appeared in the 2012 program....my little contribution to NF.