Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spocks Beard-The Oblivion Particle & UK tour!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I thought that it was different from their others. Is it true that somebody else sings on "Bennett Built a Time Machine" - I see that somebody else in the thread said that that's the case??? Doesn't sound like Leonard.
    Yes, indeed. It's their drummer, Jimmy Keegan. I think his vocals are great on this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Yes, indeed. It's their drummer, Jimmy Keegan. I think his vocals are great on this tune.
    Thank you for that.
    I think they have done these types of Beatles/Beach Boys/Moon Safari songs before this, I think on most albums there are those "sunshine" pop-like tracks, but here the vocals make a difference. It sounds great. Almost like intellectual quality.
    Presto Ballet have done these types of songs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aBiAKYCYGU

My only gripe is the jamming portion of Disappear. Would have worked better if they had done like Rush with The Garden but that's nitpicking. It's still nice but I'd rather have a slow burn at the end than needless, IMO, jamming.

Bennett is a clever little ditty. Been eating at my ears these last few days. Love the video, well done.

Kudos to Boeghold, whether the story stands up or not(haven't really delved into the lyrics yet). He's not even in the band yet he got his vision produced, at least I'd hope. I'd say it worked out well musically. No forced epics. The songs end when they should with the ideas not burnt out.

A very nice album. It works well for my ears and is probably the best since Neal left.

Good job with the odd time sigs. I notice them because I count shit out while listening. Many may just bob their heads and not even know it's in 7 or 5.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    My only gripe is the jamming portion of Disappear. Would have worked better if they had done like Rush with The Garden but that's nitpicking. It's still nice but I'd rather have a slow burn at the end than needless, IMO, jamming.

Bennett is a clever little ditty. Been eating at my ears these last few days. Love the video, well done.

Kudos to Boeghold, whether the story stands up or not(haven't really delved into the lyrics yet). He's not even in the band yet he got his vision produced, at least I'd hope. I'd say it worked out well musically. No forced epics. The songs end when they should with the ideas not burnt out.

A very nice album. It works well for my ears and is probably the best since Neal left.

Good job with the odd time sigs. I notice them because I count shit out while listening. Many may just bob their heads and not even know it's in 7 or 5.
    It depends on what you mean with needless jamming. Is there such a thing as needless in art? How can it be qualified/defined? I think the bands do what they do and we can either like it or not.
    On a side note, I still don't understand what "dated", "aged" or "cheesy" means in the context of music or films.
    On the other hand, I think I understand what you mean with forced epics. I guess sometimes when doing a 20 minute track they (insert any prog band here) run of of ideas and repeat something too many times or make some sections longer than they could be. And they just go on and on...and the problem is that there are a couple of interesting minutes of greatness mixed with 15 minutes of averageness.

I have Only listen to It two times yet, and so far apart from bennet nothing has really grabbed me yet. I shall listen more and perhaps its a grower

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Several listens in...very impressive release.

SB played last Saturday and it was phenomenal! They played several songs from the new album and they sounded very good. Ted had a long night since he played with "Enchant". At the end to me his voice sounded just a little strained but he was in very good form anyway. I didn't like the idea of having the same singer the whole night on both bands but that's my appreciation. Anyway it was an excellent show and Sock's Beard was fabulous.

so, a question for you guys. When you got the new Spock's Beard, did it identify itself on your computer? The reason I ask is, I don't have internet at home, so when I go to a place with a Wi-Fi, I take all my new CDs and ID them in the computer. But I put the Spock's Beard CD in the computer, and it wouldn't ID. The song titles didn't come up, and the album art didn't show up. What's up with this? Any ideas?

It took a couple of days before it showed up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    so, a question for you guys. When you got the new Spock's Beard, did it identify itself on your computer? The reason I ask is, I don't have internet at home, so when I go to a place with a Wi-Fi, I take all my new CDs and ID them in the computer. But I put the Spock's Beard CD in the computer, and it wouldn't ID. The song titles didn't come up, and the album art didn't show up. What's up with this? Any ideas?

I just put the disc in my computer today and iTunes did find the song titles. They're pretty sloppily done though and there are errors in the text ("Bennet build a Time Machine", inconsistent capitalization. etc.). Artwork could not be found.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I didn't have any problems when I ripped it into my computer. All the data, artwork, and song titles were there right away. I just had to add/write the songwriters myself as it didn't have it.

Here's my review of The Oblivion Particle over at The Fire Note.
    The Prog Corner

So what is the difference between the Mediabook edition and the Digipak edition besides the cover? Are the booklets the same? are the CDs the same?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Here's my review of The Oblivion Particle over at The Fire Note.
    Yeah, after a few listens, I'm with you on "Bennett" being the standout of the bunch. "Minion" is growing on me more, too.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I keep taking it out of the car, thinking the next day I'll not want to hear it. That doesn't happen and I bring it back for the days journey.

I do think this is miles beyond anything they have done post Neal. Everyone shines on this. Totally love Ryo's use of everything as it all seems to work.

Dig the line "Some things are grevioius but that's not a word".

Another edit. Minion, in my twisted mind comes off as Thoughts Pt. 3. Fits in the mold of those songs but maybe I'm tripping. Sure, the subject matter and the guy who wrote the song are not quite the same, at all, but IMO Minion may be the closest they have come to re-creating the Neal era, even if they weren't trying.

In style, I do mean, not as in what's better or not which is always subjective.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 09-08-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this one seems like a big step down from the last one. I'll give it a couple more spins just in case something else may grab me, but so far there are only a couple tracks I enjoy and some stuff just seems to sit there and doesn't go anywhere. Feels like they are out of ideas.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this one seems like a big step down from the last one. I'll give it a couple more spins just in case something else may grab me, but so far there are only a couple tracks I enjoy and some stuff just seems to sit there and doesn't go anywhere. Feels like they are out of ideas.
    I'm with you there although we seem to be a minority judging by the raving reviews the album is getting everywhere.
    So far, two things bother me with this album.
    First, most of the instrumental sections seem to be flashy and technical for the sake of it (IMO), which is not something I usually blame SB for.
    Second, Ryo has obviously expanded his sound palette, but I find many of his new keyboard sounds too extravagant for my taste (if not cheesy at times... still IMO of course).
    It's still early days and I will give the album time to grow on me, but it's unlikely that it will ever be among my favorites, while I thought X and Brief Nocturnes were a great return to form after a number of patchy albums.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

After just one listen through, there was some stuff I really liked, and some stuff that I didn't. Particularly, Get Out While You Can didn't do much for me. But I really enjoyed Tides Of Time, Minion, and Bennett Built A Time Machine.

It's not as immediate as Brief Nocturnes... was, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I like the new album but I agree it is a bit of a step down. I wouldn't say a big step down, just a bit. The standout tracks to these ears are "Tides of Time", "Bennett Built a Time Machine", and "A Better Way to Fly". "Minion" is ok but I find it to be the weakest track on the album and the other tracks start great and there are some great sections on them but, then, they tend to meander towards the end. That all being said, I still find myself playing it a lot. I really like the sound and the production is top notch.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I bought Brief Nocturnes and gave it several tries but found it every bit the muso exercise that a lot of modern prog is, particularly the last few SB albums. Squealing whammy bar riffs and cheesy Casiochord keyboard patches was overplayed decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I bought Brief Nocturnes and gave it several tries but found it every bit the muso exercise that a lot of modern prog is, particularly the last few SB albums. Squealing whammy bar riffs and cheesy Casiochord keyboard patches was overplayed decades ago.
    I'm curious to know what album/songs you were listening to, as I didn't hear any of that on Brief Nocturnes.

I was lukewarm on this initially, but it's grown on me significantly and may be my favorite since V. The album is very consistent and contains some incredible songs. My favorites so far are The Center Line, Minion, To Be Free Again, while Get Out While You Can is quickly gaining. What a fantastic song! I liked BNaDS a lot, but this one is better IMO.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'm curious to know what album/songs you were listening to, as I didn't hear any of that on Brief Nocturnes.
    don't remember the song, but I noticed it in a sampling of the latest album. Sometimes Morse and Ryo get a tad carried away breaking into full '80s rock mode, something that they've done since Octane really. I may eventually give the new one a shot. I think my expectations were a tad high upon hearing Ted Leonard was stepping in for Nick but really, I only ever liked one Enchant album anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Originally Posted by 3LockBox
    _______

I don't hear that on Brief Nocturnes either, but I hear it a lot on the last one.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I'm glad I'm not the only Spock's Beard fan on here who is a bit disappointed and underwhelmed by the new album. The production is excellent, their playing is as good as ever, but I don't think the actual songs themselves are all that good this time. I've listened to it three times now, and keep hoping for an epiphany, but so far I reckon it's their weakest collection of compositions - even more so than the self-titled ninth album (which previously I'd put at the bottom of their entire output - I still really like about half of its songs though).

For what it's worth, I really like the other three NDV-era albums, and especially Octane and X - almost as much as the best stuff they did with Neal Morse. Neither of the albums with Ted Leonard singing have matched up to any of those for me (but I'm not claiming he's the reason for that).

However, this is just my honest opinon, and I'm not here to try to tell anyone they're wrong it they like The Oblivion Particle better than I do. I'm perfectly happy that other fans really love the new album, and I'd rather they keep making new music than jack it in.