Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spocks Beard-The Oblivion Particle & UK tour!

Kind of funny. I envisioned test tubes boiling, guys with white lab coats and those thick black rubber gloves up to their elbows, wearing goggles and looking inside a small box with a strange light coming from it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

The thread title made me think that the Beard is touring with a band called "The Oblivion Particle" and UK! Need to back off on the Cabernet at dinner!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Any word on the release date?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

In 2003 we had "The Bottom Line," soon we'll have "The Center Line." Wait twelve years and Spock's Beard will write a song called "The Top Line."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Well, well, well....for once a band publicises a UK tour, and it turns out to be an actual tour of the UK instead of a single London date.

Nice one guys!

See you in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Any word on the release date?
    21st August 2015 according to their facebook page

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    21st August 2015 according to their facebook page
    Great, thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Just got a notice from amazon that my copy of The Oblivion Particle should arrive tomorrow. Should make for a proggy weekend!

Ordered mine from Laser's Edge. I can't wait. I need some upbeat music!

This arrived today, just in time for the weekend. Checking it out now!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow, Brainforest wrote over half of the songs. Is he becoming the Neal Morse of the group now?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Wow, Brainforest wrote over half of the songs. Is he becoming the Neal Morse of the group now?
    Pardon my ignorance please, but who is Brainforest?
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance please, but who is Brainforest?
    John Boegehold, who's been with the group for a long time now, even though he's not an official "member." He occasionally posts on PE.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    John Boegehold, who's been with the group for a long time now, even though he's not an official "member." He occasionally posts on PE.
    Oh! I didn't realize he was a member here. Thanks.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I noticed they had this at my local music store a couple days ago and picked it up. Not bad. Not sure how I'd compare it to the last one yet (which I liked better than all the other post-Neal albums).
    <sig out of order>

IMO, another band that gives "PROG!" its bad name...where's the playing FOR the song? Oh right, they're not, they just use these empty vessels for soloing/filling in every ounce with space...every once and a while there's a cool riff but they're few and far between.

i always give their releases a shot thinking there might be some savings graces, and there ARE, here and there, but largely, no.

Different is how I sum up this album,but still with some classic SB moments.Ted Leonard is the star on this album.Great vocals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    IMO, another band that gives "PROG!" its bad name...where's the playing FOR the song? Oh right, they're not, they just use these empty vessels for soloing/filling in every ounce with space...every once and a while there's a cool riff but they're few and far between.

i always give their releases a shot thinking there might be some savings graces, and there ARE, here and there, but largely, no.
    Interesting...in some cases I didn't think the music was filled out enough and got a little boring. It didn't sound "prog" to me (yeah, that's a lame thing to say). It was fine, but was just more of a "somewhat interesting rock band" in places. Keep in mind this is after 1.5 spins....
    <sig out of order>

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I've only had one listen, but I think this is as strong as X and brief Nocurnes, both of which I enjoyed more than I expected to, since I hadn't liked much since Neal left. But Good songwriting, thoughtful lyrics, stellar musicians, great sounding album, on first listen.

So far, the standout track to me is "Bennett Built a Time Machine." Jimmy Keegan has the perfect voice for that kind of song. I'm still processing the rest of it, which is a bit of a shame, as "X" and "Brief Nocturnes" jumped out at me from the start. "The Center Line" is nice, as are "Disappear" and "A Better Way to Fly." The music does really go in some different directions than before.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    This album is featured in the DPRP's latest Round Table Review. I wonder if they like it or not....three 9's and two 10's.

Wow, bought this today at an HMV store. Have been listening to it on drive back home and I like it alot more than the previous CD.

Here's a review of The Oblivion Particle from The Progressive Aspect:-

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...vion-particle/

It's a great album overall. If you like Spock's in general - and especially their previous album - you'll like it. If you don't, I don't imagine this will gain any new converts. The first 4 tracks are fantastic. The rest of the album has strong material mixed with some average Spock's material, so I don't love it quite as much as their previous album (Brief Nocturnes), but it's not far off from that. Should be great live in concert, too!

Certainly one of my favorite prog bands out there, and they are off the charts live.

I thought that it was different from their others. Is it true that somebody else sings on "Bennett Built a Time Machine" - I see that somebody else in the thread said that that's the case??? Doesn't sound like Leonard. The song has some Moon Safari vibe.

It still has some dry vibes which are characteristic for SB and which I don't like much but I like that it's got something a bit new and different. I guess the dry sound is intentional, maybe it comes mainly from guitars and production.

I like the bombast and there are some great keyboard parts, especially on the first song. I think after the two minute mark there was one part under the vocals which goes on about a minute.

Overall I like this one better than the previous one - a bit different which is great and a bit more interersting.