Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ANEKDOTEN: "Until All The Ghosts Are Gone" April 10

chalkpie
    I'd stay there overnight. Throw a few 6-7 Norwegian blondes in there and I might stay a couple o' nights.

chalkpie
    You going to SW Jedster? Magma? I'm in for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Yeah, first thing I noticed. This is going to be cool. I just feel it!
    It is a different chair though
    Yup, I immediately thoght of Vemod when seeing this artwork...

but not an auto-buy for me

After trhe ôor Gravity and the slightly better Time of Day, I'm not holding my breath too much

Unless we get plenty of cello in this new album, the good old days seem to be gone
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I wonder if a Japanese edition will have some extra material.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    One of my most anticipated releases!
    Here's the cover.
    Great, Vertigo-like!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I thought they gave up. Liked the first 3 but lost interest after that. I will have to check this one out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You going to SW Jedster? Magma? I'm in for both.
    I have a ticket for Magma. I'm skipping SW. Although I'm sure it will be great, I've almost never really enjoyed a show at that venue - the band just always seems miles away. Also, it's just harder to make it to concerts these days so I have to be selective, which doesn't always have to do with quality. And I no longer work in the city.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I love Vemod and Nucleus (one of the best prog albums of the 90's, in my book). After that....I don't know, I really want to like their stuff, and at times it's good (like the instrumental break at 3:20 of this posted song), but mostly it just doesn't have the same bite, or interest level, for me. Those two first albums just were just so dynamic and melodic, and after adding more of an 'alternative' feel, it seemed to lose something. I am glad that they are still making music, and am very excited to be seeing them live for the first time at Terra Incognita. Perhaps seeing them in person, will sell me more, on their newer material.

neil

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have a ticket for Magma. I'm skipping SW. Although I'm sure it will be great, I've almost never really enjoyed a show at that venue - the band just always seems miles away. Also, it's just harder to make it to concerts these days so I have to be selective, which doesn't always have to do with quality. And I no longer work in the city.
    Best Buy? Far away?

I thought you just started a job recently in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I thought they gave up. Liked the first 3 but lost interest after that. I will have to check this one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I love Vemod and Nucleus (one of the best prog albums of the 90's, in my book). After that....I don't know, I really want to like their stuff, and at times it's good (like the instrumental break at 3:20 of this posted song), but mostly it just doesn't have the same bite, or interest level, for me. Those two first albums just were just so dynamic and melodic, and after adding more of an 'alternative' feel, it seemed to lose something. I am glad that they are still making music, and am very excited to be seeing them live for the first time at Terra Incognita. Perhaps seeing them in person, will sell me more, on their newer material.

neil
    I basically agree with you guys. Love Vemod and Nucleus, really like about half of From Within. After that, nothing. To me they just lost their "bite."

I listenend to the sample track above, and it's perfetly pleasant, but it sounds like the same song they been doing soince Gravity. And again, noting really challenging like on the first two albums. I'm happy they're still doing it, and if they enjoy what they're doing that's great with me. But they just moved in a direction that doen't hold my interest. If more samples come out I'll check them out, but Anekdoten has been off autobuy for me for a long time.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Count me in as someone that really enjoys lots of the material on From Within, Gravity, and especially Time Of Day. Not reaching the peak of Vemod and Gravity but still really nice music. The sample posted earlier sounds very promising to me! There certainly is a melancholy that permeates their music but this also makes it more emotionally compelling. I really like the violin (or is that a cello) near the end of the posted tune. The music does sound like an extension of their later work but, as I said, that's okay with me. There are two bands I have waited a long time to see - Anekdoten and After Crying. I'm glad I'll see Anekdoten in Quebec City.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Best Buy? Far away?

I thought you just started a job recently in the city?
    Yeah, I always seem to end up far back at Best Buy.

The job in the city was a short- lived consulting position - now I'm working in Tarrytown.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    There will be a japanese release as well. Don't know yet if it contains some bonus tracks like A Time of Day.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I basically agree with you guys. Love Vemod and Nucleus, really like about half of From Within. After that, nothing. To me they just lost their "bite."

I listenend to the sample track above, and it's perfetly pleasant, but it sounds like the same song they been doing soince Gravity. And again, noting really challenging like on the first two albums.

Bill
    I'more in awe with the first two (and the third to an extent), but this first sample is certainly a move back towards their early days: lengthy intro, great middle section, and melancholic outro... Of course it could be just that one track;... but so far so good.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If you had to chose one....Vermod or Nucleus?
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    If you had to chose one....Vermod or Nucleus?
    While Vemod was a disappointment to just about anyone I knew within the Scandinavian "prog circuit" back in the day - mostly due to the triumphs that the Colours label had provided with Thule, Landberk and Änglagård - Nucleus was pure magic. Rather than more of the downright immature KC-wannabeings of the debut, they aimed for something core contemporary in charge, sound and concept, and they hit hard as hell.

I'm still not much of a fan of Vemod, I have to say. Some cool themes and solid playing, but the arrangements are partly half-baked, the singing quite poor and the cello comes across as, well, sparkless and unlively. And that cheap symbolism of the cover - although fairly tongue-in-cheek with the mock-goth building now being an upper middle-class wooden villa and the greenfaced "witch" replaced by a sleeplessly domestic housewife - really didn't convey its purported message all too well either. I actually find Time of Day their second best album after Nucleus.

I'm very glad to see them back.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yet another must-have for me! And the year is still young..

I have a good quality cassette recording somewhere of Anekdoten at Progscape (I think this was just before Nucleus came out ?) - I wish I had it in MP3 or FLAC. Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While Vemod was a disappointment to just about anyone I knew within the Scandinavian "prog circuit" back in the day - mostly due to the triumphs that the Colours label had provided with Thule, Landberk and Änglagård - Nucleus was pure magic. Rather than more of the downright immature KC-wannabeings of the debut, they aimed for something core contemporary in charge, sound and concept, and they hit hard as hell.

I'm still not much of a fan of Vemod, I have to say. Some cool themes and solid playing, but the arrangements are partly half-baked, the singing quite poor and the cello comes across as, well, sparkless and unlively. And that cheap symbolism of the cover - although fairly tongue-in-cheek with the mock-goth building now being an upper middle-class wooden villa and the greenfaced "witch" replaced by a sleeplessly domestic housewife - really didn't convey its purported message all too well either. I actually find Time of Day their second best album after Nucleus.

How dare you call Geddy Lee a witch!

Alright; a hag, then.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I'm still not much of a fan of Vemod, I actually find Time of Day their second best album after Nucleus.

Time of Day was a return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You know, I have this, but never really dove into it. A problem I'm sure many of us here have owning so much music lol. I'll have to put this on the top of the stack, Greg. What I remember is an overload of mellotron.

Not a lot of love for Gravity I'm seeing. I've always liked that one. Nucleus deserves all the love it gets though. Great album.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    Agreed.

Though I must say I enjoyed the track above more than anything from their later albums. Not as good as the stuff on their debut or Nucleus though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd say that it was slightly better than Gravity, but a return to form is a gross overstatement, IMHO

there are sketches/glimpse of their early brilliance, though, but it doesn't last

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Agreed.

Though I must say I enjoyed the track above more than anything from their later albums. Not as good as the stuff on their debut or Nucleus though.
    yes, but tht's only one track

Wait and hear more.