Thread: Why are there so many semi-legal live CDs lately?

Why are there so many semi-legal live CDs lately?

OK. So this isn't exclusively Prog. But why are there so many live CDs on semi-legal labels? Stuff like The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Fairport Convention, Moby Grape, etc. On labels like Keyhole, All Access, etc. Is it something to do with copyrights expiring?

Bob

Could be.

Could be a lack of good new music.

I think the copyrights could be expiring sooner in certain countries.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I think the copyrights could be expiring sooner in certain countries.
    I can't tell you why they are appearing at this time, but it has nothing to do with copyrights expiring. They're not legal on any level I can see.

Why are they coming through 'normal' channels at this time? I don't know.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I can't tell you why they are appearing at this time, but it has nothing to do with copyrights expiring. They're not legal on any level I can see.

Why are they coming through 'normal' channels at this time? I don't know.
    Well, it does have something to do with copyright. I believe that European copyright legislation shortened the time that a recording was protected if it was used for radio broadcast, so you will find that many of the bootlegs now offered for legal sale have some broadcast background. I'm sure someone will have chapter & verse on the legal change.

Someone found out it can be done more easily and cheaply than before?

I think this also happened in the early '90s when silver bootleg CDs exploded. Europe is the source of most of these, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Someone found out it can be done more easily and cheaply than before?

I think this also happened in the early '90s when silver bootleg CDs exploded. Europe is the source of most of these, yes?
    In the 90s there where hundreds of live boots sold everywhere in Europe. There where some countries where the Copyrights where
    less strict than in others (Italy and a lot of east european ones). I rememer that the only restriction was that the recordings had to be
    made outside of the EU.

I think it's just a very cheap way to sell "Names" without much effort.

I assume these are indeed on European labels. But Amazon sells them whereas they don't sell bootlegs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    In the 90s there where hundreds of live boots sold everywhere in Europe. There where some countries where the Copyrights where
    less strict than in others (Italy and a lot of east european ones). I rememer that the only restriction was that the recordings had to be
    made outside of the EU.

Yes, I remember seeing them on flea market stalls in the UK, but not in shops. They occasionally turned up at record fairs. Labels like 'Swinging Pig' (I have a coloured Jethro Tull bootleg that sounds really good!). They were very much 'under the counter' sort of thing (I believe there were court cases to stop them being sold, which is probably why shops didn't sell them.) When I went to Spain they were on sale in a major department store chain. I remember seeing hundreds of bootlegs in racks. A few years later they'd all gone. I think the EU legislated against them. A lot of the labels seemed to be Italian.

It's a combination of expiring copyright laws and, in some cases, ownership disputes. For example, the venue owner might be claiming some rights, or the original broadcaster who made the recording might. In the case of Hendrix Albert Hall '69 performance (one of his greatest), the filmmakers claim ownership and the Hendrix family have been unable to settle their differences. Hence, no official release, but many semi-legit ones.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    "Without much effort" being, indeed, the operative phrase here....

But seriously, with radio broadcasts a lot has to do with the original contract. Keith Jarrett, who lost a battle a couple years back, with a semi-legit label that released a late '80s Swedish radio broadcast, ultimately lost his "cease and desist" order because, upon reviewing the original contract, the judge found the wording to be too vague to prohibit the radio station from selling the label then right to release.

Having since tightened up his contract verbiage, it's a case where it may seem illegal but is, in fact, perfectly legit..

I'm sure here not all are like this, but I'll bet my last buck this is at least a part of the problem...and explanation...
    Last edited by jkelman; 03-15-2015 at 11:14 AM.