Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAJ Review: Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti (Deluxe Edition)

AAJ Review: Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti (Deluxe Edition)

My review of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti (Deluxe Edition), today at All About Jazz.

After nearly five years that saw the group release five albums--from 1969's earth- shattering eponymous debut to 1973's less consistent Houses of the Holy (all on Atlantic Records)--and incessant touring that saw the group break numerous attendance records and reach the top of the charts worldwide, Led Zeppelin finally took a much-needed break in 1974. Still, while singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist/keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham took some downtime to spend with family and friends, the Zeppelin juggernaut was far from idle.

The group formed its own label, Swan Song, and signed three artists--ex- Stone the Crows vocalist Maggie Bell, psychedelic/proto-progressive underdogs The Pretty Things and, most notably, Bad Company, the group that initially featured former Free singer Paul Rodgers and, managed by Zeppelin's infamous Peter Grant, became the label's first top-charting group with its eponymous 1974 debut.

But Swan Song was also intended, of course, to release Zeppelin's subsequent recordings, and if taking a two-year break between Houses of the Holy and its first Swan Song set, 1975's Physical Graffiti, did anything, it was to give the group a chance to regroup, refresh and reconsider.

Continue reading here...

Thanks for that. I really enjoyed it!

Good review, but this album has never connected with me like it seems to with everyone else. There are some really strong tracks ("Ten Years Gone" is one my favorite tunes from the band), but there seems to be a lot of dross, too. So what am I missing?

Edit. And for what it's worth, I did pick up this new edition. Guess I should start thinking about getting rid of the old box now that we're through the meat of the remasters.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Like with all double albums, with the possible exception of Stephen Stills Manassas. Graffiti has filler on it that weakens it as a totality.

I would say seriously, however, that the first disc is the greatest single record in history. At a push, I would swap houses for ten years gone. but seriously, is there a better single piece of vinyl out there? Those 6 tracks are fucking sublime.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

The new remaster is really fine. The Rover sounds notably better, than on any of earliar releases, both vinyl and CD. In Trampled Under Foot JPJ's piano solo sounds much clearer, than ever, now the piano is not dampen by guitar's roar, and more other improvements here and there..Easily LZ's top album, the performances on PG, as Page stated, could not be better. The companion disc is a bit of a disappointment though, the only worthy track is Everybody Makes It Through The Light, the early version of In The Light. The album version is thrice better, but early version is interesting of itself. Other tracks, with eliminated guitar, or vocals, or detached orchestral bits, are just a padding - good for one spin, nothing essential. I'd much prefer Live At The Earl's Court instead.

Their best record by far. But why rebuy? King Crimson, Yes Oldfirld have given several good reasons to -Blu ray, surround sound 5.1.

This? Not so much .

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Like with all double albums, with the possible exception of Stephen Stills Manassas. Graffiti has filler on it that weakens it as a totality.

I would say seriously, however, that the first disc is the greatest single record in history. At a push, I would swap houses for ten years gone. but seriously, is there a better single piece of vinyl out there? Those 6 tracks are fucking sublime.
    The 3rd side is one of my favourite things they ever did. It's the diversity of it I love- prog on 'In The Light', folk guitar on 'Bron-Y-Aur', 50s/early 60s-style pop on 'Down By The Seaside', a quintessential rock ballad in 'Ten Years Gone'.

The 4th does have some wobbles- 'Boogie With Stu' is a knockabout filler, and frustratingly the whole album would have fit on one 80 minute CD without this. Obviously that wasn't a consideration then! But it's still a 5-star masterpiece to me.

I would say the reason to rebuy is that the sound is significantly better than the old 90s box. Yeah, they should have gone with an Earl's Court compilation instead of the bonus disc. There's been plenty of rumors of Page working on those shows. He did say that Coda is going to have the best unreleased tracks though I have no idea what those might turn out to be.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^There are things like the instrumental 'Swan Song', which I gather is an early run-through of The Firm track 'Midnight Moonlight'. But I can't believe there's any kind of treasure trove, considering 'Coda' was hardly that in the first place- the only really worthwhile tracks for me are the 1979 outtakes. I would certainly expect non-album tracks like 'Hey Hey What Can I Do' and 'Baby Come On Home' on there to bulk it out...indeed both should have been on it originally, it was quite a short album.

Houses of the Holy less consistent than the debut? Well I guess that's a matter of opinion.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Great review, made me want to re-listen to this monolith last night.

One minor quibble: You write that the album has been “packaged, for the first time on CD, to reflect the original vinyl edition […]”. In fact, miniature replica sleeves were released in 2008 as part of a box set. Some anal retentive bean counter will surely complain about his inaccuracy in due time…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post

I don't hear any filler. Just because a song doesn't sound like "In my Time of Dying" doesn't mean it's filler. Zep always did a few simpler songs to keep their albums from sounding too heady.

Any of the songs on "Presence" could have been on Physical Graffiti. But that was the end of the band. In through the Out Door was the album that signaled the end, and Bonzo made sure that happened.

ZOSO, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence. 5 vinyl records that captured a great rock band in it's prime.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Great review, made me want to re-listen to this monolith last night.

You write that the album has been “packaged, for the first time on CD, to reflect the original vinyl edition […]”. In fact, miniature replica sleeves were released in 2008 as part of a box set.
    Not just as part of a boxed set ... I bought all those "vinyl replica" versions individually: they're quite cute, but I think they're the so-called "Jimmy Page" remasters, so maybe not the best for sound quality.

At that time I got into Led Zep (which was after the release of the DVD) I thought I was pretty much the last person in the world to do so, so I'm surprised that a review is needed for Physical Graffiti these days. I suppose every generation brings people who need to be told the story again.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Their best record by far. But why rebuy?
    I agree, best by far. Too bad the review didn't talk about Ten Years Gone, surely one of the highlights of the album. The bonus disc doesn't seem particularly appealing so I won't be buying this either.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Good review, but this album has never connected with me like it seems to with everyone else. There are some really strong tracks [...], but there seems to be a lot of dross, too.
    Yes. And this is where their tendency to "drag on" riffs truly gets to be a dilemma; although it was already apparent in "Black Dog", it serves as a bad sign when they make the same step with yet another opening tune here. In addition, some of Plant's lyrics leave a whole lot to be desired and are often at contrast with the mood of the music (i.e. "In the Light"). But the double album as such contains some of their finest tracks as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I agree, best by far. Too bad the review didn't talk about Ten Years Gone, surely one of the highlights of the album. The bonus disc doesn't seem particularly appealing so I won't be buying this either.
    Just to clarify as to why not talking about "Ten Years Gone"? Well, while I have latitude to write as long as I want I do take readers into consideration and was feeling like I was stretching the limits of how far most readers would stay with me, and so I made some intentional cuts when finishing the piece up.

As ever, however, thanks to everyone for taking the time to read - and, in some cases, comment; even if we don't agree, there's always no shortage of satisfaction for me to see the review act as a starting point for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes. And this is where their tendency to "drag on" riffs truly gets to be a dilemma; although it was already apparent in "Black Dog", it serves as a bad sign when they make the same step with yet another opening tune here. In addition, some of Plant's lyrics leave a whole lot to be desired and are often at contrast with the mood of the music (i.e. "In the Light"). But the double album as such contains some of their finest tracks as well.
    I've never had an issue with the "dragging on of riffs", but I would agree that Plant's lyrics are frequently cringe worthy.

The Rover is always the track I come back to with this album. Rather overlooked with all the hoo ha over Kashmir, Trampled Undefoot et al but for me, as epic (in a concentrated, forceful way) and heavy as they ever got. Putting Plant to one side a moment I'm not sure the three others ever sounded more locked-in and unstoppable.

But, for the record, what is remotely psychedelic about their early records? I suppose people would mention all that wailing etc in the middle of Dazed and Confused or How Many More Times but that just does not feel psychedelic to me, it just feels like indulgence, but I smell no whiff of patchouli.....

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Good review, but this album has never connected with me like it seems to with everyone else. There are some really strong tracks ("Ten Years Gone" is one my favorite tunes from the band), but there seems to be a lot of dross, too. So what am I missing?

Edit. And for what it's worth, I did pick up this new edition. Guess I should start thinking about getting rid of the old box now that we're through the meat of the remasters.
    I'm with you. Physical Graffiti never did it for me! My least favorite Zeppelin album and I don't really know why.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Their best record by far. But why rebuy? King Crimson, Yes Oldfirld have given several good reasons to -Blu ray, surround sound 5.1.

This? Not so much .
    Because this is a series of rmansters,done right. Remastered separately for each media to maximize the sound of each media, these versions kick the '94 Page remasters' butts. Remaster reissues are often of minimal importance - sometimes diminishing rather than improving - but not these; Zeppelin has never sounded better, and that's reason enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Not just as part of a boxed set ... I bought all those "vinyl replica" versions individually: they're quite cute, but I think they're the so-called "Jimmy Page" remasters, so maybe not the best for sound quality.

At that time I got into Led Zep (which was after the release of the DVD) I thought I was pretty much the last person in the world to do so, so I'm surprised that a review is needed for Physical Graffiti these days. I suppose every generation brings people who need to be told the story again.
    Yup. Not everyone knows as much as you do

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    But, for the record, what is remotely psychedelic about their early records? I suppose people would mention all that wailing etc in the middle of Dazed and Confused or How Many More Times but that just does not feel psychedelic to me, it just feels like indulgence, but I smell no whiff of patchouli.....
    The two tracks you mention, plus the middle section of Whole Lotta Love...and certain aspects to "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" were, back in the day, definitely mind-expanding....

...you don't have to smell patchouli for a records to be psychedelic...you can also detect some serios psychedelic drugs, and ice no doubt they had a part in these tracks...either virtually or literally...

not just filler.... they added previous unreleased material left off of their previous albums.
    PG would have been great sticking to the original 8 tracks recorded for it.
    eventually all those unused songs would have been released somehow.

imo..... the worse ever LZ song- Boogie With Stu.

Which were the eight original tracks?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Which were the eight original tracks?
    Custard
    In My Time
    Trampled
    Kashmir
    In the Light
    Ten Years Gone
    Wanton
    Sick Again
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."