Thread: New Mike Rutherford Interview

New Mike Rutherford Interview

http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/rutherford2015.html

Mike's a great, easygoing guy. I even asked about Acting Very Strange. Enjoy.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Must confess to not having a great deal of interest in M&tM anymore. Comment about the G board tapes is curious though, as I was under the impression they had all been 'digtized' years ago. Would still like to see some of that released, even if it now only just me

So jealous they are on tour but not on the west coast!! They are a great great band live!

Seeing them tonight, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Seeing them tonight, looking forward to it.
    How about Genesis with Gabriel? Any chance of a reunion?

I wonder how ticket sales are going. When I checked the Borgata's website a few days ago it looked like half the tickets were still available in a 1000 seat venue.

When I was at the Farm many moons ago, a great number of tapes had been digitized, but I think that there are always more to do...

I'd apply for that job!

Mike

On a somewhat related note, just watched (for the first time) a concert in Poland of Genesis' 'Calling All Stations' tour, and was really impressed with a few things about it-one of those things relates to this thread, which is in 'The Dividing Line', Mike and the other guitarist trade solos, Mike actually plays pretty impressively, with some cool effects. He seems to do some cool things live (at least on that tour) that he never does on album, so even though I'm not really a M&TM fan, I bet they put on a good show.

Got to love the fact he doesn't even know some of his catalogue isn't available! 'Smallcreep's Day' is also out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wonder how ticket sales are going. When I checked the Borgata's website a few days ago it looked like half the tickets were still available in a 1000 seat venue.
    They played an arena here a few years ago. Since that they've been in a theatre, although they've returned a few times so I guess there's a solid audience at that level. And note the bold 'GENESIS' on their tour poster, for those complaining about Steve Hackett 'milking it'!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    even though I'm not really a M&TM fan, I bet they put on a good show.
    I saw them live in 2014 and 2013 in Germany, and both shows were great - of course it's not "proggy" in any way, but great pop music played by a tight band. Mike's solos were awesome (but there were not that many).

Henning

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Got to love the fact he doesn't even know some of his catalogue isn't available! 'Smallcreep's Day' is also out of print.
    Still hoping Esoteric or someone remasters that. I never play the copy I have because it has such bad sound quality.

Still hoping Esoteric or someone remasters that. I never play the copy I have because it has such bad sound quality.
    Not sure a re-mastering would do the trick, more a re-mix.

On a somewhat related note, just watched (for the first time) a concert in Poland of Genesis' 'Calling All Stations' tour, and was really impressed with a few things about it-one of those things relates to this thread, which is in 'The Dividing Line', Mike and the other guitarist trade solos, Mike actually plays pretty impressively, with some cool effects. He seems to do some cool things live (at least on that tour) that he never does on album, so even though I'm not really a M&TM fan, I bet they put on a good show.
    Is this an official DVD? I've never heard of any official live stuff from the CAS tour.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is this an official DVD? I've never heard of any official live stuff from the CAS tour.
    No, I don't even know of any unofficial stuff, except this youtube video of the show in Katowice Poland. Very good footage though, it would make a great 'official' dvd. Its only about an hour and 40 minutes or something so I imagine it isn't the entire show. The encore for example is not included. Ray Wilson did a great job with songs like 'The Lamb', and totally nailed 'Mama'-sounding even better than Phil (but I prefer his warmer voice, I'm sure many will disagree with me)

There's a letter sent in by a fan in the latest Prog Magazine after he recently saw Mike & The Mechanics. He told Mike he was a big fan of the early stuff to which Mike replied-"I don't listen to that shit anymore"!!!