Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 80s Metal Thread- The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Mercyful Fate
    One of my favourites, especially the first two albums, Melissa and Don't Break The Oath. Much more advanced composition than a lot of their peers, and fantastic guitar work. King Diamond's first several albums are also excellent. Unfortunately King's voice puts a lot of people off, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The World Wide Wrestling Federation had nothing on Joey DiMaio...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

It's all coming back to me now...

Japanese metal!!!!

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Another "metal" title for Vic... (check out all the stage-diving kids!)

[QUOTE=Gruno;378720]There should be no razzing or ridicule. By definition of this thread, ALL forms of 80s metal is welcomed here.

You'll need to pry some 80's metal discs from my cold dead fingers, I love em', but (squibbily flabbilydo)...Pleeeze let there be razzing and ridicule!

As I stated earlier, it's up to the individual to decide what is good, bad, and ugly.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Ah, I forgot Accept. Yeah, I still play them now and then. It's been what, thirty years and that opening riffage for "Screaming for a Love Bite" has never really left my head.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I believe "Shitting Metal" was the 4th song on side 1...
    Sounds painful......

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

You dirty rotten, low down, double dealing, larcenous, atrocity filled bastard! I'm the one who posts the Loudness videos around here! But I guess since I forgot to post one earlier in this thread's history, I guess it's fair game!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The World Wide Wrestling Federation had nothing on Joey DiMaio...

There was a video on Youtube with him mogeling about a concert they were doing in Bulgaria. The whole thing is hilarious, he's telling metal fans to come from all the surrounding countries, he eventually turns to the poster behind him and says "There will be women who like that there!". The whole thing was ridiculous.

To this day, I'm not sure if they're aware they effectively make Spinal Tap redundant (though I did read once that Manowar allegedly began as a parody group, because all the guys in the original band where in punk bands and they formed Manowar to make fun of metal).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    There was a Stryper album I heard in the mid 80s called To Hell With The Devil, I think. Might've been another one. They looked like girls, but man could they play. Killer guitars, harmony solos and all.
    The thing about Stryper was the lyrics were terrible. When VH-1 Classic first started, they were regularly playing the video for Soldiers Under Command. The song itself is pretty cool, but the words read like something that Spinal Tap might have done during their "contemporary Christian" phase. And Calling On You sounds like what Debbie Boone might have done if she had gone metal (seriously, it's a hard rock version of You Light Up My Life). I mean, I can't fault the guys for wanting to reflect their faith in their music, but those lyrics a bit OTT.

BTW, Michael Sweet apparently has that exact same voice. He guested on The Simpson last autumn, doing Apu's singing voice (apparently, Apu has the ability to sing like an 80's hard rock vocalist, because of all the years he spent involuntarily listening to the music in the Kwik-E-Mart).

Whether this is good or bad, I suppose depends on your tastes, but I happen to like Krokus:

I always liked the intro to this Ratt song:

And a little Dokken for you

My preferred Motorhead lineup:

...and one from my other favorite Motorhead lineup:

and a couple from the almighty Helloween:

Speaking of Germany, how could we not mention Scorpions (apart from I imagine most of you guys don't dig their 80's era stuff). This video is kinda silly, but I think it's the way on purpose. I always dug this song:

Here's a few minutes from the World Wide Live concert movie, which I remember taping off MTV with a Betamax! (and then I wrote a review of sorts for English class). I always loved the shot of Herman Rarebell turning towards the camera during the rideout choruses of Blackout and mouthing the song title:

Funny, I dont' actually remember Loving You Sunday Morning as being in World Wide Live. At first I thought maybe MTV might have cut the song for the broadcast, but that little bit the girl before the song starts, that bit I actually do remember. I guess that's what I get for not having all the albums back then.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing about Stryper was the lyrics were terrible. When VH-1 Classic first started, they were regularly playing the video for Soldiers Under Command. The song itself is pretty cool, but the words read like something that Spinal Tap might have done during their "contemporary Christian" phase. And Calling On You sounds like what Debbie Boone might have done if she had gone metal (seriously, it's a hard rock version of You Light Up My Life). I mean, I can't fault the guys for wanting to reflect their faith in their music, but those lyrics a bit OTT.

BTW, Michael Sweet apparently has that exact same voice. He guested on The Simpson last autumn, doing Apu's singing voice (apparently, Apu has the ability to sing like an 80's hard rock vocalist, because of all the years he spent involuntarily listening to the music in the Kwik-E-Mart).
    Was it Michael Sweet, or Oz Fox (Stryper guitarist. I didn't even have to look it up....) that played with Boston a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Was it Michael Sweet, or Oz Fox (Stryper guitarist. I didn't even have to look it up....) that played with Boston a few years back?
    It was Michael. He was one of the vocalists they brought in on that first tour after Brad Delp went home.

Liked the album 'Metal of Honor' back in the mid 80's. Kind of surprised this band didn't go anywhere...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

those of us growing up in the NY area will probably remember this mainstay on U68...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

some of my favorite 80's Maiden..

Unevensong - Camel

cont'd..

Unevensong - Camel

God I'm still cracking up about.....

Let Them Eat Metal. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    those of us growing up in the NY area will probably remember this mainstay on U68...

Oh, this was very unfortunate indeed. After three killer albums, they bowed to record company pressure to be more "commercial" and produced two regretful albums with sheen that lacked the "fist-clenching, neck-breaking, head-busting sound." And they put on eye-liner too. Really killed the momentum of their career and although they returned to their true sound with "Life's a Bitch", their fan base had already fled.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There was a video on Youtube with him mogeling about a concert they were doing in Bulgaria. The whole thing is hilarious, he's telling metal fans to come from all the surrounding countries, he eventually turns to the poster behind him and says "There will be women who like that there!". The whole thing was ridiculous.
    That video was much more recent so I didn't post it; figured I'd limit what I submitted to this thread to stuff that was actually released/occurred in the 80's. Many of these bands have still continued to this day in various forms but seeing 58-year-olds doing metal is not representative of what it was like to experience it during the 80's.