Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Necromonkey - Show me where it hertz, again and again.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Yes! We use the real ones as much as we can but for extra sounds and livework its amazing.
    I watched that demo with Tom Brislin, and that thing sounds amazing. I mean how many dudes could honestly tell the difference? I'm guessing people like yourself who have used the real deal for years might but average prog slobs such as myself? I know I couldn't. Is the decay/ambiance slightly different on the real vs digital one?

PS - Let me know about ordering your CD's - Tusen tack.

I saw Necromonkey and their Trons sounded like the real deal to me .... Just without all the tape wonkiness and bad tonality.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If it's not out of tune it's not a tron.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post

CR-78 and the M4000D digital Mellotron using Wilcos feedback guitar tapes.

Take care and Ill be updating with more session videos as we go along.

// Mattias (all sorts and inbetweens)

There's nothing at all wrong with those digital 'trons, in fact when the band played last year at Progday I thought they sounded fantastic (both the band and digital Mellotrons). I could only imagine trying to deal with the real thing under those outdoor conditions.
    Dumb question - I am curious when you mention the clip has the tron using "Wilcos feedback gutar tapes", does this mean it was sourced from the band Wilco?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I watched that demo with Tom Brislin, and that thing sounds amazing. I mean how many dudes could honestly tell the difference? I'm guessing people like yourself who have used the real deal for years might but average prog slobs such as myself? I know I couldn't. Is the decay/ambiance slightly different on the real vs digital one?

PS - Let me know about ordering your CD's - Tusen tack.
    I think one of the criticisms against the digital Mellotron is that it sounds TOO good. Markus who made it did it from the earliest often 1st generation tapes which means that it is closest to the "original" idea of the sound...but the Mellotrons that we are used to hearing often are a bit beat up with worn tapes. So there is a difference.

But there is also the idea of treating the digital mellotron by using guitaramps etc to make it sound more like that early King Crimson sound. When we use the M4000D (both live and recording) with Necromonkey we always pull it out thru an amp with a fair amount of spring reverb to give it more character.

...and we will do the preorder thing as soon as its sent off to the printers.

// Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    There's nothing at all wrong with those digital 'trons, in fact when the band played last year at Progday I thought they sounded fantastic (both the band and digital Mellotrons). I could only imagine trying to deal with the real thing under those outdoor conditions.
    Dumb question - I am curious when you mention the clip has the tron using "Wilcos feedback gutar tapes", does this mean it was sourced from the band Wilco?
    Yes.

Wilco have made some original sounds for the Mellotron. Like the feedback guitar, crotales and a Marxophone...I think.

A couple of years back I recorded original sounds for the Mellotron as well but I havent taken the leap to making frames of them yet.

// Mattias

chalkpie
    "A Glimpse.." arrived a few days ago and has found its way into my CD player and ears. Really enjoying this album as well. My favorite track thus far is the long track (track 4? its in the car). I am really digging the textures, sound, timbres on this thing.

"A Glimpse.." arrived a few days ago and has found its way into my CD player and ears. Really enjoying this album as well. My favorite track thus far is the long track (track 4? its in the car). I am really digging the textures, sound, timbres on this thing.
    Title track!

1. "There Seem to be Knifestains in Your Blood"
    2. The Sheltering Waters
    3. The Counterfeit Pedestrian
    4. A Glimpse of Possible Endings
    5. The Worst is Behind Us

Jon Neudorf
    Here is my review of "Glimpse", a great disc!

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=16325

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Here is my review of "Glimpse", a great disc!

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=16325

Regards,
    Jon
    Its a great review and Im especially happy that you brought up the layering and the grower aspect. We spend a lot of time piecing the tracks together so that the flow but have a lot of undercurrents... there are also a lot of easter eggs hidden on the albums that will become apparent over the next couple of albums...

Im also very happy to say that im halfway thru the last track to mix on the new album so it looks like we will be able to send it off on Monday. This last track is The Storm which we have played a lot live but the official version will be on album six. This version has the Stylophone playing the main theme and then a Modular synth/Philip Glass type ending.

// Mattias

Jon Neudorf
    Sounds great Mattias.

Regards,
    Jon

chalkpie
    Still loving this stuff. I've been spinning Necroplex more than Glimpse, but I have Glimpse queued for the car today.

I was the opposite for a while there Frankie...I couldn't tear Glimpse out of my player long enough to give Necroplex a fair shot. But then I grabbed the wrong disc for a road trip back in the winter and gave Necroplex some solid attention. Great, great disc.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

chalkpie
    ^ I can see a 'board player how you would totally dig this stuff. It's definitely not my usual cuppa, but very glad I discovered it

"Asshole Vote" mighty still be favorite tune out of the whole lot. I can't get enough of the chord sequence when the tune melts down and the asshole (me? you? us? him? her? they?), well, perhaps votes? WTF does that mean anyway Mattias? Is it "Vote, you asshole!" -or- "That was sure an asshole vote, John....you fuckin' blew it lad!" -or - am I way off altogether?

BTW, I totally get the drum machine creating sonic space in the soundstage comment you made.

It's definitely not my usual cuppa, but very glad I discovered it
    I feel that way about a lot of stuff I've been listening to. Often that's the most exciting of musical discoveries.

Mattias Olsson of Necromonkey will be joining us tonight on Deep Cuts at 6 pm EST to talk about his new album, "Show Me Where it Hertz"!

www.houseofprog.com
    www.progrockdeepcuts.com

Suspended
    I never heard of Necromonkey but there must be something big happening for them to generate three threads.

Necromonkey are in my Top 5 bands working today.

Pre-ordered my copy!

Hi friends,

For those of you who missed it, you can stream our interview with Mattias Olsson​ (which includes the world premiere of the new album, Show me Where it Hertz) and the ProgDay Special (hour 2) here!

https://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdee...-deep-cuts-90/

www.progrockdeepcuts.com

Hey hey...

and as promised....even though its a bit later than I would have hoped for...

The promo clip!

https://youtu.be/n9rJHjj8tNM

Take care...and I hope you'll enjoy it.

Best regards,

Mattias

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey Mattias, when you or David have time, please enter the CD info into FreeDB! I want to rip my CD so I can listen on my iPod, etc., but it was YOU who came up with those long-ass titles!

EDIT: Ok, I see GraceNote has it - will try to rip with WinAmp.

Looking forward to Orion tonight, traffic be damned
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Looking forward to Orion tonight, traffic be damned
    Saw crack, conquered same.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!