Thread: John McCabe RIP

John McCabe RIP

Incredibly strange. I just played my old vinyl of McCabe playing Satie from 1973 this very afternoon for the first time in several years, only to learn now that McCabe - performing pianist and esteemed composer in his own right - passed away yesterday.

He made some great sound.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So long Mr. McCabe... We hardly knew ya!
    Still alive and well...

Yes, I guess he wasn't exactly a household name with folks here.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Well as long as you knew who he was... i'm sure there are others as well. I am one of the more "less informed" members here, I have found. Learning every day. Be well.
    Still alive and well...

He was even BETTER than Wakeman! Is it... Is it at all possible?!?

I've had a few of his discs over the years (Ballet for Edward II, one or two symphonies), but they haven't left a strong impression. Never have run across his Satie recordings, but Z-Overstocks (seller on Amazon) has the Regis disc for a penny - I figure that's a worthy investment (they had 10 copies this morning if anyone else is interested).

It looks like he shows up on one of my Hammer Horror soundtrack compilations - unless there's more than one McCabe musician.

Looks like his last public performance (on piano) was in 2010.

Peter

^ I'll heartily recommend those Satie recordings of his. Very deep and warm sonics, exquisite performance. Obviously, these occurred during the early 70s so there's that tight focus on broad timbre and a snippet of reverb to the instrument (try George Crumb recordings from the same era), but I prefer McCabe's renditions to several more recent versions I've heard.