Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who has seen "Musical Box" band ?

Saw them at NEARFest, and once a few years later doing The Lamb at Berklee Performance Center. They were excellent at what they do both times I saw them, but I have little desire to see them again. It's great once, or to see each show once, but I don't need to see the same thing over and over. Obviously that appeals to some, which is fine, but just not for me. Still glad I saw the shows I saw. I really don't feel I missed much having not seen Genesis in the 70s, and that's worth something right there.

Bill

You should absolutely go see them. I was fortunate to see the Gabriel era Genesis twice in NYC and these guys do a fantastic job of recreating the experience of seeing those shows. I've seen the TMB about 6 or 7 times performing the Foxtrot,SEBTP and Lamb tours. All of them were great but the Lamb show with Martin Levac on drums was especially phenomenal.

I am not much into tribute bands, but these guys are an exception. Seen them twice and they were great both times.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I saw one of their Lamb shows a year or two ago. Had a great time - they really did a good job.

But it didn't compare to Hackett at all.
    ... and not trying to be. Hackett is ... well Hackett. Simply a superb musician playing music he loved and inspired with a new flair. TMB is re-creating a age many of us did not get to see and doing it in spectacular fashion... if you are of fan on Genesis on ANY level you should rush to see this show.

Saw them playing The Lamb a few years back in Nottingham and they were simply superb - great evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

But it didn't compare to Hackett at all.
    Seriously

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

chalkpie
    Why would anybody compare this to seeing Hackett solo?

Incredible band. Saw them last night in Harrisburg, Pa and seeing them tonight in Newton, NJ. Last night they were spot on. It just doesn't get any better than this. This evening will be my 45th TMB show.

I first saw them at a small theater in Montreal around '97(?) . They were a 7 piece band then with a real mellotron. I've never been fond of tribute bands and went skeptical and was completely blown away. They transcended the term "tribute band".

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I first saw them at a small theater in Montreal around '97(?) . They were a 7 piece band then with a real mellotron. I've never been fond of tribute bands and went skeptical and was completely blown away. They transcended the term "tribute band".
    They were a 7 piece until the end of '96. Saw them in Raleigh,NC in April 97, they were a 5 piece.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I've seen them twice. Go. You will not regret it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw then first around 1993. Just walking down Catherine street in Montreal (major street in the city) and came across the show. I was blown away. Seen them countless times since. I made a donation to the band for the debut of The Lamb in Montreal. The band's manager picked up my wife and I at our hotel and gave us a backstage tour before the show and centre seats with the band's family and friends. It was a blast.

I've seen them 4 times: Foxtrot, SEbtP, Lamb, and TotT. It was perfect every time!

Have seen them many times and will be in Milwaukee next month to do so again. Go.

I have 9 TMB shows under my belt.

If you are a Genesis fan they are a must see.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I have 9 TMB shows under my belt.

If you are a Genesis fan they are a must see.

DtB
    Absolutely.

Though they havent been to the UK in a while which is a shame. I'd be there in a heartbeat for a Foxtrot or Selling England show....

I am a big fan of the the lamb and I couldn't see the Genesis lamb tour, because I didn't had enough pocket money back then and it's one of my regrets that I didn't saw the original show. So I was quite curious when I saw the Musical Box lamb tour for the first time. After let's say 10 minutes I completely forgot that it was a cover band. Really one of the best shows I saw. But a small minus : I found it a bit embarrassing that the singer tells all the Gabriel jokes identically. It's a bit like walking into a museum.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Saw TMB every time they mafe a new tour that they'd not done...
    max 6 or 7 times >> that's enough...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I have only seen them once , in Chicago at The Vic
    Same here, but I saw them doing SEBtP, about 8 years ago. Loved it!

Saw them in Asheville last May. SEBTP. Excellent show. My brother saw them two nights later in Atlanta. Same show. Would have gone down to see it with him had it not been for limited funds. They are in no way a cover band. Cover bands are no where near as spot on as these guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Why would anybody compare this to seeing Hackett solo?
    for some who have seen tmb do their thing at their best ex. when martin levaq was drumming, the hackett show was not as mind blowing as it might have been otherwise. apart from hackett himself, tmb are the better cover band. i thought hacketts drummer was kinda lame. so on one hand you see a band who does all the original lighting, slides, and stunning tour replications. on the other you have an original, with a bunch of nerdy prog musicians, playing a bunch of songs from both pg era and after. i personally found it underwelming compared to the tmb presentation. jmo

and i do recomend the original poster go see tmb. ive seen all their shows, the foxtrot tour is myfavourite and they are doing some of those this time from what i hear

I saw them a few times a long time ago. They are very good but after a while it gets a bit old.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Seen twice. Lamb and Selling England tours. Would I go again? Maybe. I'm increasingly burned out on tribute bands, but it is nice to see the original stage show.

Seeing the TMB Lamb show @ Tribeca w/Levac and Myers in 2003 or 2004 (help me out here - who were the replacements) was great, with diminishing returns on the subsequent Lamb tours - I would die a happy man if I had the opportunity to see each tour presentation at least once...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-