Page 330 of 330 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330
Results 8,226 to 8,243 of 8243

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Anyone watching Ripley?

I am 3 episodes in and I think its absolutely fantastic.
    A very slow paced show but in this case this is an absolute advantage. It is shot completely in black and white and is a feast for the eye. Every shot is a superb photographic composition. Because of the slow pace these images have the time to sink in and impress. Acting is superb.

After 3 episodes I still do not have any clue where the plot is going and what motivated the main character. All I know is that there is 'something creepy' going on there. Cant wait to find out.
    This is excellent. The black-and-white is gorgeous and places you firmly in the early 60s. Since I watch almost everything with subtitles anymore, I'll probably re-watch this to just enjoy the visuals.

Baby Reindeer – Netflix: This limited series tells a true story of a young wanna be comedian who is stalked by a mentally ill woman. The story also focuses on other aspects of his life including abuse by a well-known producer and his relationship with a trans women. A friend of ours told me about this one, or I never would have heard of it. It gets great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and for the most part lives up to the hype. It is very well acted and written. This show won’t be for everyone, but we really enjoyed it.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Deadloch – Season 1 – Amazon Prime: This came out last year and I saw nothing but rave reviews so decided to check it out. The show takes place in the small town of Deadloch somewhere in Tasmania. It is part murder mystery and part comedy. The actors are all Australian / Tasmanian so the accents can sometimes a bit hard understand. The plot weaves around a serial killer in this small town that is being investigated by a local detective and another detective who is assigned to the case from Darwin Australia. The town and police force are filled with small town characters most of whom are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. The town is also populated by a lot of lesbians who have migrated to this town, which somewhat plays into the overall plot. After the first few episodes I was not sure what to make of this show. The mystery part was good, but some of the characters, especially the outside detective Eddie Redcliffe, were so over the top that I did not find anything particularly funny. As the show went on though it won me over and I ended up enjoying it for the most part. It was certainly different. Apparently a 2nd season is in the works.

3.5 out of 5 stars for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Baby Reindeer
    We binged the first 4 episodes tonight and will finish the last 3 tomorrow. Excellent, gripping show with outstanding writing and acting. Edge of your seat thriller/drama with huge doses of dark comedy intertwined. Wonderful!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Deadloch – Season 1 – Amazon Prime: This came out last year and I saw nothing but rave reviews so decided to check it out. The show takes place in the small town of Deadloch somewhere in Tasmania. It is part murder mystery and part comedy. The actors are all Australian / Tasmanian so the accents can sometimes a bit hard understand. The plot weaves around a serial killer in this small town that is being investigated by a local detective and another detective who is assigned to the case from Darwin Australia. The town and police force are filled with small town characters most of whom are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. The town is also populated by a lot of lesbians who have migrated to this town, which somewhat plays into the overall plot. After the first few episodes I was not sure what to make of this show. The mystery part was good, but some of the characters, especially the outside detective Eddie Redcliffe, were so over the top that I did not find anything particularly funny. As the show went on though it won me over and I ended up enjoying it for the most part. It was certainly different. Apparently a 2nd season is in the works.

We loved Deadloch - it took awhile to find its groove, mostly because of that detective from Darwin. Funnier than hell.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    We binged the first 4 episodes tonight and will finish the last 3 tomorrow. Excellent, gripping show with outstanding writing and acting. Edge of your seat thriller/drama with huge doses of dark comedy intertwined. Wonderful!
    It is based on a true story too with the main actor playing himself which is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We loved Deadloch - it took awhile to find its groove, mostly because of that detective from Darwin. Funnier than hell.
    I found her character rather annoying at first, but once I kind of got used to her she won me over. The humor got better as it went along for me.

The Boys. Apparently I never bothered with S3 so I started it the other day. Now I remember why I didn't continue with it: Homelander. I fucking hate when an antagonist – especially one as bad as him – doesn't get his/her comeuppance. And based on what has been insinuated for S4, set to premiere in a couple months, Homelander will be partnering with Victoria/Nadia, the woman who can make people explode. Furthermore, based on what creator Eric Kripke said, S4 won't be the last.

It seems to me that the show could be seen as an allegory but I get enough of that shit in real life.

I do not enjoy this show. I'm out.

Deadloch...
    Apparently I enjoyed it more than you. Glad to see there will be a second season.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The Boys. Apparently I never bothered with S3 so I started it the other day. Now I remember why I didn't continue with it: Homelander. I fucking hate when an antagonist – especially one as bad as him – doesn't get his/her comeuppance. And based on what has been insinuated for S4, set to premiere in a couple months, Homelander will be partnering with Victoria/Nadia, the woman who can make people explode. Furthermore, based on what creator Eric Kripke said, S4 won't be the last.

It seems to me that the show could be seen as an allegory but I get enough of that shit in real life.

I do not enjoy this show. I'm out.

Apparently I enjoyed it more than you. Glad to see there will be a second season.
    I would probably give the 2nd half of Deadloch a solid 4, but it took me a while to warm to some of the characters and humor in the first half which was only a 3 for me, so I split the difference.

I am still all in on The Boys and looking forward to the upcoming season.

Hal and Steve - you're both a coupla right cunts
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Finished the first season of Fallout. Overall a satisfying experience. They tied it all together nicely at the end. Left me wanting more. Go Season 2!

Thanks, ya twat.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quiet On The Set – The Dark Side Of Kids TV – Max: This 5-part documentary was interesting, but sometimes felt like a bit of a hit piece on Dan Schnider. It would have been interesting if he had participated and told his side of the story. The 3rd episode featuring Drake Bell’s story was riveting, although they kind of glossed over his own inappropriate behavior in episode 4. Some of the stories are certainly disturbing, but I was actually expecting more revelations than the documentary provided. Worth a watch, but not quite as good as I was expecting. Anyone else see this?

3.5 out of 5 stars

Baby Reindeer – Netflix: This limited series--yeah, watched the first two or three episodes of this last night. Pretty easy to binge. Interesting and well written.

I don’t know if anyone here still watches Saturday Night Live, but they did hit it out of the park with this sketch last week. Heidi Gardner could not stop laughing. There is also a Youtube video of rehearsal footage where the cast could not stop cracking up.

^^ Host Ryan Gosling cracked up through the entire show. Which became contagious among cast members in various sketches. Understandable, given Gosling isn't really a comedic actor.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Host Ryan Gosling cracked up through the entire show. Which became contagious among cast members in various sketches. Understandable, given Gosling isn't really a comedic actor.
    He has had a hard time keeping a straight face every time he has hosted.