Page 64 of 330 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 8243

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Has anyone watched The Man In The High Castle? I don't recall any discussion. I'm watching S1 Ep 1 and it's a bit over the top. It got good reviews, but I'm not sure it's worth sticking with. Any opinions?
    I watched about 5 episodes but sort of lost interest. Going to try to finish it at some point though.
    <sig out of order>

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yep, Fargo is in my top five of all time. I think the thing that strikes me, is the constant feeling of dread as you actually give a crap about the protagonists, all the while knowing the absolute evil they are facing. Fantastic stuff. LOVED 1 & 2 (whats not to love about a season that heavily features a 66 Corvair - my high school ride). Season 3 was great, but a bit of a letdown for me, and at that, only due to the final 3-4 minutes.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Has anyone watched The Man In The High Castle? I don't recall any discussion. I'm watching S1 Ep 1 and it's a bit over the top. It got good reviews, but I'm not sure it's worth sticking with. Any opinions?
    The book disappointed me so I have no interest in the TV series.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Same here. I thought the book was........pretty terrible actually. I kept waiting for something to happen, and......nothing ever happens. Seem like a great premise that was kind of wasted to me. Never explored the TV series because of it.

Exactly!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Anyone seen David Letterman's new talk show on Netflix? Watched the first episode with Obama today and really enjoyed it.

^ He looks like a Civil War re-enactor now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The TV series is pretty divergent from the book actually. Might be worth checking out.

How was it over the top? It has been a while since I saw the pilot episode, so maybe I'm forgetting something.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    How was it over the top? It has been a while since I saw the pilot episode, so maybe I'm forgetting something.
    I realize that the whole premise of the show is presenting an alternate history, and I certainly think that the Axis powers winning the war is plausible to posit. However, the idea that the outcome of an Axis victory would result in an occupation, complete with a Axis allied government strikes me as ridiculous. The country is too big, the people were well armed, etc. The idea that Germany and Japan would have agreed to partition the US seems unlikely also.

I realize that the whole premise of the show is presenting an alternate history, and I certainly think that the Axis powers winning the war is plausible to posit. However, the idea that the outcome of an Axis victory would result in an occupation, complete with a Axis allied government strikes me as ridiculous. The country is too big, the people were well armed, etc. The idea that Germany and Japan would have agreed to partition the US seems unlikely also.
    Fair enough. It's a pretty big "buy" I suppose, and the whole premise requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. Don't know that I find it ridiculous though. If the Nazis had dropped the A-bomb on Washington back in WWII, I imagine many average Joe citizens would pretty quickly rationalize that the best way to preserve any semblance of their former way of life would be to submit to the invading army.

With regard to the country being big, the Axis powers only control the coastal regions. There's a "neutral zone" in the midwest that is essentially unpoliced by either government, which is where a lot of people fled to who didn't want to lay down their arms and join the occupying force. Later episodes also make it a bit more complex. I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Fair enough. It's a pretty big "buy" I suppose, and the whole premise requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. Don't know that I find it ridiculous though. If the Nazis had dropped the A-bomb on Washington back in WWII, I imagine many average Joe citizens would pretty quickly rationalize that the best way to preserve any semblance of their former way of life would be to submit to the invading army.
    How big of an army could they have reasonable put together to do an invasion and occupation? They were already stretched woefully thin.

With regard to the country being big, the Axis powers only control the coastal regions. There's a "neutral zone" in the midwest that is essentially unpoliced by either government, which is where a lot of people fled to who didn't want to lay down their arms and join the occupying force. Later episodes also make it a bit more complex. I wouldn't write it off just yet.
    The map I saw in the first ep shows the Neutral Zone as a narrow strip compared to area controlled by the Axis, which actually extends well inland from the coasts.

I'll give it at least 3 episodes before I dump it, but my belief suspension machine is running in the red.

The Man in the High Castle is GREAT! There’s a new series based on Philip K. Dick’s stories called “Electric Dreams” starting on Netfix (or Amazon?!) any day now! Can’t wait for that!

How big of an army could they have reasonable put together to do an invasion and occupation? They were already stretched woefully thin.
    I believe the point is that Germany had achieved the technology for nuclear weapons before the Allies, and with having taken out the seat of the US government with an atom bomb, the spirit of the American people was pretty much broken after that. Under the looming threat from an army with weapons like that, surrender might seem the more viable option. And life under the Reich might not seem like such a bad thing to some individuals, if their background meets certain "requirements".

But really, it's just an entirely fabricated alternate history that's not dependent on how WWII actually went in our reality. You take a "What if Hitler had won?" question and run with it to see how it could have played out. Think of it like a parallel universe.

The map I saw in the first ep shows the Neutral Zone as a narrow strip compared to area controlled by the Axis, which actually extends well inland from the coasts.

I'll give it at least 3 episodes before I dump it, but my belief suspension machine is running in the red.
    The neutral zone is still fairly big. I just meant that the Axis powers don't occupy 100% of the country.

^ He looks like a Civil War re-enactor now.
    At one point during the interview Obama says something to effect that Letterman looks "Biblical" and should be holding a staff. It was a funny moment.

I believe the point is that Germany had achieved the technology for nuclear weapons before the Allies, and with having taken out the seat of the US government with an atom bomb, the spirit of the American people was pretty much broken after that. Under the looming threat from an army with weapons like that, surrender might seem the more viable option. And life under the Reich might not seem like such a bad thing to some individuals, if their background meets certain "requirements".

But really, it's just an entirely fabricated alternate history that's not dependent on how WWII actually went in our reality. You take a "What if Hitler had won?" question and run with it to see how it could have played out. Think of it like a parallel universe.
    Oh, I understand all that. Dropping a bomb is easy. Occupying and governing is much harder. Think of our experience in Iraq and multiply it by a few thousand.

Perhaps I'm not as good at suspending disbelief as others.

Oh, I understand all that. Dropping a bomb is easy. Occupying and governing is much harder. Think of our experience in Iraq and multiply it by a few thousand.
    I don't disagree with you on that. The whole idea is farfetched. Having lived with the idea for several years already because of the book, it probably wasn't that much of a stretch for me to buy into the TV show (which I think is an improvement over the original source material -- PKD had some truly great ideas throughout his career, but sometimes his execution was highly dissatisfying). I like seeing the 1960s kinda turned on their head.

One thing the show does well, IMO, is complex characters. That there are good people in the Axis powers (like the Japanese Trade Minister), and bad people within the resistance, makes it feel more realistic.

Watched the first three episodes of The Sinner tonight. Pretty good, I'll stick with it... there's only eight anyway, so I'll have it done in no time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

One thing the show does well, IMO, is complex characters. That there are good people in the Axis powers (like the Japanese Trade Minister), and bad people within the resistance, makes it feel more realistic.
    Well that's intriguing. I'll bear it in mind as I audition a few more episodes. Thx.

Not a series, but has anyone seen the recent HBO documentary David Bowie The Last 5 Years? Great stuff.

Well that's intriguing. I'll bear it in mind as I audition a few more episodes. Thx.
    Cool man, no problem. I hope you like it, but if not, I can certainly understand. Life's too short to spend watching TV we don't enjoy.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not a series, but has anyone seen the recent HBO documentary David Bowie The Last 5 Years? Great stuff.
    Watched it last night, very good documentary. I also watched the XTC documentary This Is Pop on SHO this week, highly recommended.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I watched the first episode of Godless last night. For the most part well done. Pretty dark stuff!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched it last night, very good documentary. I also watched the XTC documentary This Is Pop on SHO this week, highly recommended.
    Ah man, I really want to see both of these. Bowie and XTC are two of my absolute favorites, but it seems (from my perspective) that XTC especially did not get the widespread attention they deserved.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Gunpowder today, the Jon Snow (Kit Harrington) retelling of the plan to overthrow the protestant King James I by blowing up parliament (seems quite reasonable in these days), most famously known as the gunpowder plot in the UK and for Guy Fawkes night. Harrington plays Robert Catesby the actual main protagonist, Harrington is actual a descendant of Catesby on his mothers side. Two particularly gory executions with a catholic woman being crushed to death under a metal plate & a young catholic man being hung drawn & quartered. Pretty good show if a bit dark and slow.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.