Page 36 of 330 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have seen the Trailer Park Boys live show twice. The first time it was just Bubbles, Ricky and Julian which was good, but when they came to town last year they also had Lehey and Randy with them which added a whole new dimension. John Dunsworth (Lehy) is a classically trained actor, and on stage the guy was hilarious as he proceeded to get more and more “drunk” as the show went on of course. He is the best at this shtick there ever was, and some of his interactions with the audience had me in tears I was laughing so hard. In fact both he and Randy spent a good chunk of the show out in the audience just riffing with people. Randy was also hilarious (never wore a shirt the whole show) and of course Bubbles closed the show singing “Closer To The Heart” from Rush and then the whole crowd sang along to “Liquor And Whores”. Highbrow entertainment it ain’t, but damn what a blast that was.

Saw them live with the same main 5 guys, and to be honest, my expectations were low. Wife and I bought the kids and us tix for Christmas. As it turns out I laughed my fuckin ass off, the show was so well done, incorporating videos and stuff so all the spoofs didn't have to be "live". But you're right, leahy was brilliant. So was Ricky. At one point Leahy was chasing Ricky and they took it in to the audience. They made their way pretty close to us...they were so in character, it was mind blowing. Nobody does a drunk like Leahy, he's THE KING.

Small gossippy side note. A good friend of mine was a small part-time promoter here in town. One time he booked Randy and Leahy for a local club. To save money, they agreed just to stay at his place for the night. Buddy told me the bong was going till the wee hours, and that the both of them were great partiers, they had a great time and went almost to sunrise lol.

Glad you lads got on the Santa Clarita bandwagon. It's such a great juxtaposition of screwball comedy & "eeeeewwww"!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Saw them live with the same main 5 guys, and to be honest, my expectations were low. Wife and I bought the kids and us tix for Christmas. As it turns out I laughed my fuckin ass off, the show was so well done, incorporating videos and stuff so all the spoofs didn't have to be "live". But you're right, leahy was brilliant. So was Ricky. At one point Leahy was chasing Ricky and they took it in to the audience. They made their way pretty close to us...they were so in character, it was mind blowing. Nobody does a drunk like Leahy, he's THE KING.

Small gossippy side note. A good friend of mine was a small part-time promoter here in town. One time he booked Randy and Leahy for a local club. To save money, they agreed just to stay at his place for the night. Buddy told me the bong was going till the wee hours, and that the both of them were great partiers, they had a great time and went almost to sunrise lol.
    I knew Randy and Lehy do shows by themselves, but have not seen them. They were actually booked here last fall (at a MUCH smaller venue than the full TPB show), but something happened and it got cancelled. Would have like to have caught that.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm still enjoying The Walking Dead flaws n all.
    Is it just me – am I confused – or has this season's second half been much better than the first? I haven't noticed any real flaws at all. Maybe I'm getting senile.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Is it just me – am I confused – or has this season's second half been much better than the first? I haven't noticed any real flaws at all. Maybe I'm getting senile.
    I have thought the 2nd half has been pretty strong for the most part.

Neflix's Five Came Back, which debuted on Friday, is a 3 part documentary about the 5 Hollywood directors (Capra, Wyler, Huston, Ford & Geo. Stevens), who left Hollywood behind during WWII to make films for the armed forces and saw action up close & personal (Stevens & Ford were wounded).

If you are a WWII buff (I'm not but still was moved & impressed), this is required viewing. Amazing never before seen footage (incl the real thing that makes Private Ryan's re-creation of Normandy look tame by comparison). The insights into all the politics involved behind the scenes is something else.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

On Paulie's recommendation, I just started to watch Netflix series The Fall

Very dark! 2 episodes in and I'm lovin' it so far!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Finale of Big Little Lies is on tonight. Really looking forward to it, and really sorry to see it over already (for now anyway). Just excellent!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    On Paulie's recommendation, I just started to watch Netflix series The Fall

Very dark! 2 episodes in and I'm lovin' it so far!
    It's very good, we're just stating season 3 and the darkness just continues.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Neflix's Five Came Back, which debuted on Friday, is a 3 part documentary about the 5 Hollywood directors (Capra, Wyler, Huston, Ford & Geo. Stevens), who left Hollywood behind during WWII to make films for the armed forces and saw action up close & personal (Stevens & Ford were wounded).

If you are a WWII buff (I'm not but still was moved & impressed), this is required viewing. Amazing never before seen footage (incl the real thing that makes Private Ryan's re-creation of Normandy look tame by comparison). The insights into all the politics involved behind the scenes is something else.
    I plan on watching this.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's very good, we're just stating season 3 and the darkness just continues.
    good to hear!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    HBO just continues to blow my fkn mind. Big Little Lies was nothing short of a masterpiece. The finale still lingers in my brain.

9.5 out of 10 scandalous first graders.

Can't wait for the long overdue return of Curb Your Enthusiasm, the final season of The Leftovers (which, from the teasers, looks to be a complete mind-fuck), and of course, Game of Thrones. More high caliber stuff in the works as well, judging from the new series teaser they played before the BLL finale.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    HBO just continues to blow my fkn mind. Big Little Lies was nothing short of a masterpiece. The finale still lingers in my brain.

Can't wait for the long overdue return of Curb Your Enthusiasm, the final season of The Leftovers (which, from the teasers, looks to be a complete mind-fuck), and of course, Game of Thrones. More high caliber stuff in the works as well, judging from the new series teaser they played before the BLL finale.
    Agreed with everything here, and I'll add in Fargo and Better Call Saul (not HBO, I know). Good viewing ahead!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yes, really looking forward to these as well (was just keeping it HBO'centric).

The Leftovers has me by the balls yet I still have absolutely no idea what is going on!

Right?!

I thought season 1 of The Leftovers was stronger overall, but I'm still interested to see where they're going with it. I sure hope they restore that excellent title sequence from season 1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I sure hope they restore that excellent title sequence from season 1 too.
    I agree!!

Yeah THE FALL Very excellent, we binge watched that so fast I barely remember it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

yeah, Big Little Lies is awesome...just disappointed in the short season. Hope it's not too long before they back on. lol

I'm pretty sure this was a limited series as it was based on a book. Not unlike The Night Of, which was also fantastic!
    Last edited by Paulie; 04-06-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Anyone catch the series finale of Grimm last Friday? They pretty much nailed it and gave us fans a decent closure.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone catch the series finale of Grimm last Friday? They pretty much nailed it and gave us fans a decent closure.
    Yeah, they pretty much hit all the notes. They even did something that I thought was an unworkable cliche and made it work (no spoilers here).

There are some plot threads left hanging: for example, what happened to the Royals? etc.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Yeah, the whole issue of the Royals was left hanging and Black Claw was just dismissed in a hand wave. I know what you mean about the cliche and it did work. My wife started tearing up during the coda, especially with the line "the triplets are coming too!".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

I just finished this and really enjoyed it. I am kind of surprised at the low rating it seems to be getting from Netflix viewers (2 Stars last time I looked), as I thought it was really well down and covered a subject that I have never seen examined before. My guess is people were expecting something else? Not sure.

BTW I also noticed that Netflix have added several of the films depicted in the documentary to their new releases list. I watched the Frank Capra “Prelude To War, Why We Fight” film today, and it is very interesting if you have seen the documentary. Several other ones from the documentary are also showing on Netflix now.