Page 13 of 332 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Thanks - I'll put watching this show on my priority list just under sticking a white-hot wire up my urethra.
    Only if I can watch.

Anyone see Childhood's End tonight? I wish I had read the book before seeing it but oh well.

There was a scene at the beginning that tells me this ain't going to turn out well for us stupid humans. After the first hour I'm intrigued as to how that happens.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get this book. That first episode, I gotta say, I didn't see that coming.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Watched the last two episodes of Fargo today. Kind of a letdown.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Anyone see Childhood's End tonight? I wish I had read the book before seeing it but oh well.

There was a scene at the beginning that tells me this ain't going to turn out well for us stupid humans. After the first hour I'm intrigued as to how that happens.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get this book. That first episode, I gotta say, I didn't see that coming.
    Damn.....I totally forgot to DVR this. I loved the book as a kid, although it has been so long since I read it I don't remember a lot of details.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Damn.....I totally forgot to DVR this. I loved the book as a kid, although it has been so long since I read it I don't remember a lot of details.
    Halfway through part two and I still haven't got much of a clue but it's pretty damned good. I had forgotten this was a Arthur C. Clarke book until they said that at the beginning and that gives it some validity as actual, good sci-fi. Not frikking Sharknado or something of that ilk, for sure.

I I had gotten back earlier I could have told you episode one was on before #2 tonight but alas, I got no timing.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Watched the last two episodes of Fargo today. Kind of a letdown.
    By reading about it quite a bit afterwards, I found out that apparently the last episode had a lot of tie-ins to season 1 that I didn't notice while watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    By reading about it quite a bit afterwards, I found out that apparently the last episode had a lot of tie-ins to season 1 that I didn't notice while watching.
    I never saw season 1.

Here's the scene in season one where Lou talks about what happens in season two:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Without ruining any plot lines, an incident with Hanzee at the end of Season 2 (1979) reveals a connection to 3 characters that were bad guys in Season 1 (2006).

Two British progressive rock bands coincidentally released songs based on the book in 1972. The first was Pink Floyd, with their song "Childhood's End" on the album Obscured by Clouds. Later in that same year, Genesis adapted part of the story into lyrics for their single "Watcher Of The Skies". A third progressive rock band, Van Der Graaf Generator, included the song "Childlike Faith in Childhood's End" on their 1976 album "Still Life".
    So, there's that.

What a supremely messed up story.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    - Benjamin Franklin. Somewhat sums it up but there is a lot more and I really can't wait to read the book.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    With Fargo's second season done, I started watching upon my oldest son's recommendation "The Leftovers". I've only watched two episodes but I'm hooked. he tellsme the quality dipped mid-season 1 but assures me picks back up in S2.

And on his recommendation, I am currently working my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer! I love Joss Whedon so i'm really enjoying the series and am mid-way through S3.

He also wants me to check out "The Expanse" on SyFy but have yet to do so. He said he gave up after a half-hour but thought I might enjoy it.

Looking forward to returns of Orphan Black, Mr. Robot and Agent Carter. Agents of Shield has been great this season.

Also enjoying Ash vs. Evil Dead and From Dawn to Dusk.

Has "The Expanse" started? I'd be curious about that show because I read the first 3 books in that series. It's decent enough but I did not continue on with it...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yves, the first four episodes are posted online but I'm not sure if that works outside the US. If not, I'm sure the first two episodes can be found in the dark places of the Internet.

I read the books too and watched the first episode. They made some changes of course but nothing glaring, like was done in Game of Thrones. All in all it looks like the series is in good hands.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't have SyFy so maybe someone like Netflix will pick this up. I'd be curious. I remember thinking how much the books could easily be adapted to film when I was reading them...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    With Fargo's second season done, I started watching upon my oldest son's recommendation "The Leftovers". I've only watched two episodes but I'm hooked. he tellsme the quality dipped mid-season 1 but assures me picks back up in S2.

The Leftovers actually has its own thread elsewhere in this forum. Personally I really love the show and think it has taken some interesting turns, although both my father and my wife were frustrated with it this year especially at the end of the season. So far it is still in Limbo as to whether it will be renewed next year.

Blood and Glory: The Civil War In Color

Anyone see this? I was looking for something else on the History channel and saw this. Didn't really expect much but I just turned it on and WHOA! That first picture gets colorized and damn it looks awesome. So much better than those awful colorized movies, which was about what I expected.

They also replayed Ridley Scott's Gettysburg yesterday and that is totally awesome also. Since we have no moving pictures from this war it took until the CGI years to really re-create what this war really looked and felt like. The old movie Gettysburg is good but not nearly as in your face with the action.

I find the Civil War endlessly fascinating. You guys might not so I wouldn't be surprised if no one saw these. Heck, I just got lucky that I was looking at the guide at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Leftovers actually has its own thread elsewhere in this forum. Personally I really love the show and think it has taken some interesting turns, although both my father and my wife were frustrated with it this year especially at the end of the season. So far it is still in Limbo as to whether it will be renewed next year.
    It has been renewed for a third and final season. It was a bit frustrating this time around but I think season one was superb.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Person of Interest has been pushed off until March, or so I've read.
    I guess it occupies a precious hour that they'd rather use for "reality" show crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It has been renewed for a third and final season. It was a bit frustrating this time around but I think season one was superb.
    I did not know that. Cool, the last time I checked it was still undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Blood and Glory: The Civil War In Color

Anyone see this? I was looking for something else on the History channel and saw this. Didn't really expect much but I just turned it on and WHOA! That first picture gets colorized and damn it looks awesome. So much better than those awful colorized movies, which was about what I expected.

They also replayed Ridley Scott's Gettysburg yesterday and that is totally awesome also. Since we have no moving pictures from this war it took until the CGI years to really re-create what this war really looked and felt like. The old movie Gettysburg is good but not nearly as in your face with the action.

I find the Civil War endlessly fascinating. You guys might not so I wouldn't be surprised if no one saw these. Heck, I just got lucky that I was looking at the guide at the right time.
    I will have to check into this. Ridley's film is excellent. One of the cool things about going to ROSfest is spending time in the town of Gettysburg. So much history there.

Anyone watch The Nick this year? The season (maybe series) finale was this past week and was outstanding as usual.

Just picked up season 1 of Fargo at Barnes & Noble. Sticker price was $29.99 and my neighbor has a membership so 10% off and I downloaded a coupon for 25% off. So the final price was $10.73 with tax. I don't know but I wasn't going to complain.

Person of Interest has been pushed off until March, or so I've read.
    I guess it occupies a precious hour that they'd rather use for "reality" show crap.
    I thought it had been cancelled. After checking, I see season five will only be thirteen episodes. I'll probably watch but with only a passing interest.

The second half of season one thru all of season two were excellent. Season three was pretty good until Carter got killed and then the show started its slow descent into mediocrity. The whole Samaritan subplot and Reese & Shaw using fake identities grew tiresome pretty quickly and once Shaw got kidnapped, well... without Shaw to drool at I started losing interest. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The second half of season one thru all of season two were excellent. Season three was pretty good until Carter got killed and then the show started its slow descent into mediocrity. The whole Samaritan subplot and Reese & Shaw using fake identities grew tiresome pretty quickly and once Shaw got kidnapped, well... without Shaw to drool at I started losing interest. lol
    I liked it all the way through. The Shaw actress isn't preggo anymore, so I guess she's ready to escape.
    Maybe you can see some Root-Shaw action.

I liked it all the way through. The Shaw actress isn't preggo anymore, so I guess she's ready to escape.
    Maybe you can see some Root-Shaw action.
    I'd totally forgotten about the Root-Shaw kiss. Could make for some compelling TV.

Kinda bummed to hear Sarah Shahi was pregnant. I was delusionally hoping she was saving herself for me.

And now I'm even more bummed to learn she's married and has three kids.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe