Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
The weather reporting hyperbole is off the charts these days. Every time there's a storm, it's an enormous headline with words like "historic", "life-threatening" and "catastrophic". And let's not forget their favourite term, which they use in every single report, and makes me cringe: "hunker down". They just love to use that one.

It's a winter storm. It's going to be a lot of snow, and cold winds. I grew up in Toronto winters - I look outside to see whether I need boots and a scarf or not, and that's pretty much it. For god's sake, tone down these ridiculous headlines....
It really does depend where you live. When I lived in NYC I ignored all this. I was always able to walk to a store, even in the biggest storm. Also, I went to Syracuse U, where we got a ton of snow, and I never watched weather reports. Where I live now, one downed branch can take down power for the whole street, so it's a different story. There are salt spreaders coming by regularly, but you never know if a tree or branch is going to come down.