Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Genesis songs post-Hackett

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Good thread idea. I would imagine many people on here would not participate in this thinking everything they did sucked after Steve(or even Peter)left:
    The interesting thing is that I would put about another 10 songs in an "Eh, it's ok" list and pretty well blow off the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This one surprised me. Great tune, but I didn't expect it to land in so many top 10 lists!
    Yeah, I like Keep It Dark. The ones that surprised me were the more pop ones like 'Misunderstanding' and 'Turn It On Again', the latter of which has a ton of votes. Different strokes and all

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah, I like Keep It Dark. The ones that surprised me were the more pop ones like 'Misunderstanding' and 'Turn It On Again', the latter of which has a ton of votes. Different strokes and all
    Oh definitely! I enjoy seeing the variety and it's nice to be surprised. Great too to see stuff like "Driving The Last Spike" (love that track), "Many Too Many" and "It's Gonna Get Better". I love the band's whole career, with only a small handful of dislikes (Thankfully, Bill, you didn't choose "Me And Virgil" ) so it's nice to see some tracks that I would have liked to have picked if I wasn't limited (I hated leaving off "The Lady Lies").

Mine's still the only vote for "Submarine"... such a beautiful track that is unmistakeably Genesis IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Oh definitely! I enjoy seeing the variety and it's nice to be surprised. Great too to see stuff like "Driving The Last Spike" (love that track), "Many Too Many" and "It's Gonna Get Better". I love the band's whole career, with only a small handful of dislikes (Thankfully, Bill, you didn't choose "Me And Virgil" ) so it's nice to see some tracks that I would have liked to have picked if I wasn't limited (I hated leaving off "The Lady Lies").

Mine's still the only vote for "Submarine"... such a beautiful track that is unmistakeably Genesis IMO.
    Since you mentioned it……… I think I am the only one who has “Driving The Last Spike” on my list. In fact I rank it right up there with my all-time favorite tracks from any era of Genesis. It never seems to get much love though which I have always thought rather puzzling, but maybe it just clicks with my personal tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Since you mentioned it……… I think I am the only one who has “Driving The Last Spike” on my list. In fact I rank it right up there with my all-time favorite tracks from any era of Genesis. It never seems to get much love though which I have always thought rather puzzling, but maybe it just clicks with my personal tastes.
    I think you are too. It's one that I wish I could have slotted in somewhere... I've always loved it, especially those emotional vocals from Phil: "I'll never forget that night, as they waved goodbye to their fathers..." - it's a later-period 'prog epic' of sorts (they still made at least one per album in the 80s/90s), and I enjoyed seeing it live too.

I remember though, the horrible hatchet-job edit version that appeared on a CD-single in '91 or '92, where the song just began with that guitar riff that leads into "...we worked, how we worked like the devil for our pay..", as though the rest of the song didn't exist.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, there are a few greats I couldn't choose either. I really like 'Submarine' too. 'Driving' is great too, one of the few I like on 'We Can't Dance'.

Guess Illegal Alien didn't get any votes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I don't hate that song, I kind of like it. I wouldn't put it in a top 10 list though. I like it more than, say, Land Of Confusion.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I quite like Illegal Alien - one of the better of their songs in that style I think.

Most of the songs on "Shapes" fall into my "quite like it" category, though only two of them made my top 10. "Just a Job to Do" is the only one I don't care for.

I think I like "just a job to do" better than "Mama." I think other than Home by the sea and second home by the sea this album has the most poppy and less proggy songs of any Genesis album(imo).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Suspended
    I like Mama, except I wish Phil Collins did not cough his guts out, or whatever it is he does, in the middle of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I like Mama, except I wish Phil Collins did not cough his guts out, or whatever it is he does, in the middle of the song.
    That was him doing Grandmaster Flash.

No, really.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I quite like Illegal Alien - one of the better of their songs in that style I think.

Most of the songs on "Shapes" fall into my "quite like it" category, though only two of them made my top 10. "Just a Job to Do" is the only one I don't care for.
    I pretty much like the whole "Shapes" album. It may not be prog (well some of it is), but I think it is mostly good stuff.

Just take four from ATTWT (but not FYFM) , three from Duke (but not Misunderstanding and Turn If off Again), add Abacab (the song) and Home By The Sea and That's All (the song, not the conclusion... or else that would be only 9)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks to this thread, I listened to the two "Home By the Seas" for the first time in years. The first one's not bad, the second is pretty good!

Understand, when I bought ABACAB and the s/t album, I thought they were going through a phase that they'd grow tired of and come back to their senses. Then when I got "Invisible Touch," I finally came to terms with the fact that the Genesis I knew and loved was gone. I probably listened to "s/t aka Shapes" twice and IT once. I didn't try to let that stuff grow on me because I was really disappointed. But I guess a portion of it isn't quite as bad as I remembered, though it'll never compare to their '70s stuff. Yeah, yeah... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I listened to the two "Home By the Seas" for the first time in years. The first one's not bad, the second is pretty good!

Understand, when I bought ABACAB and the s/t album, I thought they were going through a phase that they'd grow tired of and come back to their senses. Then when I got "Invisible Touch," I finally came to terms with the fact that the Genesis I knew and loved was gone. I probably listened to "s/t aka Shapes" twice and IT once. .

mmmhhh!!!... took me a while to accept and even like Mama, Home by the Sea was an instannt like for me, the second was OK, but that's All really hit the spot for me >> you should relisten to it, because it's inoffensive pop, unlike atrocious crap like Illegal Akien.... So I take it that I like half of Shapes and it happens to be the A-side... So I kind of only really listened to one side of the album (don't own the album for over two decades, though)

From IT, I only liked Land Of Confision.... hated the rest >> got rid of it fairly quickly too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like Job To Do too. The only real skipper song on Shapes for me is That's All. It's not horrible, just meh and overplayed. Mama I loved on first hearing and still do. It's their best slow build song to me.

Anything not off And Then There Were Three or Duke can be automatically eliminated from consideration.
    The Prog Corner

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Anything not off And Then There Were Three or Duke can be automatically eliminated from consideration.
    I agree but there are some clunkers on the above albums - (e.g., No Reply At All). I was surprised how much I liked Fading Lights though.

As to the s/t (shapes) album, there's nothing I hate and nothing I love. Its all kind of ... in between. Very .... I don't know, safe? I don't care much for 'Mama', probably my least favorite song on the album-I do like the middle section-and the song has a bit of atmosphere, but to me Phil kind of ruins it when the vocals come in. But then he sounds really good in the middle section. 'That's All' I find kind of bland. I rather like 'Taking It All Too Hard'-now that has some atmosphere for a pop song, and I like it much better than 'In Too Deep' or any of the ballads on 'We Can't Dance'. Of course I like 'Its Gonna Get Better', especially toward the end, and 'Silver Rainbow', and 'Second Home...' Overall I think I prefer Abacab, at least for 'Me And Sarah Jane' alone, which I think is utterly brilliant, and not like any other song I've ever heard. Those chords kill me. (in a good way)

Wow, lots of nice responses! Not surprised at the love for "Duke's Travels/End", but I see a lot of their poppy tunes are liked here as well, more so than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    Wow, lots of nice responses! Not surprised at the love for "Duke's Travels/End"
    Yeah, no surprise there. And as good as the first three-quarters of the track is, I think one of the most classic moments of their entire career comes when Phil sings the "Guide Vocal" reprise. Very emotional... I've never tired of it and I never will. BTW some of the keyboards in that section always remind me of the keys in "Hairless Heart".

in no order.....

Abacab
    That's All
    Just A Job To Do
    No Son Of Mine
    Driving The Last Spike

(sorry just 5)

Snowbound
    Duke suite
    Dodo/Lurker
    Keep It Dark
    It's Gonna Get Better
    Domino
    Alien Afternoon
    One Man's Fool
    Duchess
    Home By The Sea

Undertow
    The Lady Lies
    The Brazilian
    Home By The Sea
    Mama
    Fading Lights
    Dukes Travel / Dukes End
    Dodo / Lurker
    Domino
    Heathaze

Lots of real good songs didn't make it, ABACAB, submarine, it's gonna get better, many too many, driving the last spike, dreaming while you sleep, please don't ask. Ten is just not enough!