Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knucklehead Challenge

Knucklehead Challenge

The last time Al Stewart was scheduled to play in NC I snagged two tickets right away. A week before the show, when we’re ready to make serious plans for an overnighter, I print out the e-tickets only to discover I purchased seats for The Cowsills by mistake, AND the show was already past.

Anyone else have reason to believe they deserve the knucklehead crown?

Years ago my wife got tickets to see Bob Dylan at Nissan Pavillion ( about 50 miles from our house ).
    Nice inside seats.
    We pack up and drive out in rush hour traffic.
    Deal with parking and walk up to the entrance. Go into the venue, no problem.
    Look around a bit. All of the vibe is not Bob Dylan.
    We walked by a merch table. No Bob Dylan. All Journey.
    Look at the tickets. Bob was last night.
    She was crushed, had not looked at the tickets, Just had a date stuck in her head.
    I was just along for the ride.
    We could have stayed on the lawn, but not being fans we headed home.
    The ticket takers did not even blink at our tickets for the night before.
    The good news is that traffic was pretty easy heading home.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

In the mid-80s, I desperately wanted to see Henry Kaiser at a club in Cambridge, Mass. I was literally broke, just having sold some albums
    to make a rent payment. A friend of mine worked at a college radio station and got me on the guest list along with the guitarist in my band.
    Good break, right?

We go to the club and we're not on the guest list. Again, I have *zero* money so I can't even buy a ticket. We argue with the guy at the door,
    demand to see the owner, and generally raise hell at the entrance. We're yelling the name of the radio station, the name of the guy at the
    radio station, we were promised this, how can they do that, etc.

They finally let us inside. We sit somewhere and can't even patronize the bar (again, no money). We catch the last two songs of some crappy, gentrified-Yuppie-bluegrass
    band (you can tell they are *bluegrass* because of their outfits ). We've been getting dirty looks from waitresses, bouncers, etc.

Finally, the headliner comes out... and its some folk band! My bandmate and I exchange looks and realize we were there on the wrong night. We also realize that
    in all the commotion we had caused out front, we never once mentioned the name of the artist we had come to see! We didn't even notice any signs out front saying
    who *was* playing. After a song or two, we started out slowly, realizing that we had put the staff through a lot of shit just to let us inside free for less than an hour.
    Total embarassment.

Henry Kaiser was there the next night, and there was no way I was going to try to weasel my way back in again...
    remembering the bouncer (although I'm sure I could have done a good job of pummelling his fist with my face).

KNUCKLEHEAD!!

I think I have everyone beat. In 1988, while in my last year of high school, I bought a ticket to see Pink Floyd. At some point I decided I didn't want to go by myself so I sold the ticket to a guy on my lacrosse team. I don't even think he paid me full price but I don't remember. To this day I can't figure out why I was such a scaredy cat that I didn't want to go by myself(maybe the size of the venue had something to do with it). To this day I really regret it especially after my science teacher said to me "you missed a really great show." I don't think I'll ever let myself live this one down. They toured one more time in 1994 and I didn't go to that one either but at least I didn't purchase a ticket that time.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

We had tickets to see John Oliver a month ago. Missed it. Simply forgot all about it. Both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I decided I didn't want to go by myself.
    I did likewise for VdGG's only US concert in '76. Dumb.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Do they have to be concert-related?

My all-time bonehead move was the time I was working as a clerk in a department store when I was a teenager, and the office manager asked me to bring the outgoing mail to the mailbox, but then on my way out the door the store manager told me to go grab the previous day's cash and bring it to the bank up the street since I was already going out. I walked down to the corner, opened the mailbox and threw in the mail like I always did. Or so I thought. As I was waiting for traffic to clear so I could go across the street to the bank, I realized that I was holding the mail.

I once trusted a guy to mail a tax return form. Apparently the IRS didn't get it so I had to do my taxes all over again. Mind you this wasn't a guy who was going to do my taxes but just mail an envelope. That was the last time I trusted something like that with someone who wasn't family.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Back in 1979 a buddy of mine and I had tickets to see Journey and Thin Lizzy at Welsh Auditorium in Grand Rapids MI. We were both minors at the time and had talked someone into buying as a bottle of vodka to drink before the show. We had it all planned out, we would mix our vodka with some orange juice, take the country roads up to GR in order to consume it, and arrive about half hour before showtime with a nice buzz. Our plan worked perfectly until we start getting close to the venue, and notice very little traffic which seemed kind of weird. We get to the parking lot and it is completely empty. Turns out we had our dates mixed up and the concert was actually a week later. We both felt like total idiots.

I had arranged to have the night off from work, so then had to scramble to get my boss at the time to let me off again on the real concert night. We ended up seeing the show but we could not find anyone to purchase us any more alcohol, so it was one of the few rock concerts either one of us at the time attended totally stone cold sober.

I can't match any of these concert stories but I have done things like showing up on the wrong day for non-music events, buying plane tickets for the wrong dates, etc.

So the most bone-headed concert move was done by a buddy of mine. We had tickets to see Yes at Nassau Coliseum on the Relayer tour. Both huge Yes fans, both psyched out of our minds. A week before the show he announces he's bought another pair of tickets so he can take a girl he's had his eye on. She is not a Yes fan. So now I have to find someone to go with me on his original ticket. I ask the one girl from our circle of church music group friends who I know is a Yes fan. She is hysterical on the phone but her parents won't let her go since she's only 16. I ask a girl my age who I've had my eye on and she is also about as far away from being a Yes fan as can be. I could have asked any number of musician friends but since we were all driving there together I guess I didn't want to look like a dork without a female date like my friend.

So my enjoyment of one of the greatest concerts ever was diminished by the fact that my friend was sitting elsewhere and the girl I was with had a look of horror on her face once the show started and that giant war of the worlds set started moving. I knew she wanted to leave but I made her sit through the whole thing since I wasn't going to miss this show for anything. The ride home was very uncomfortable with two shell-shocked girls not saying anything, while I wanted to excitedly discuss every detail of the show with my friend but didn't dare. That girl never spoke to me again after that. I didn't ride my buddy too hard because he realized what a mistake it was.

From that I figured that it's okay to go to a concert ALONE if you can't find anyone who's a huge fan of the band to go with.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I waited on line outside in a blizzard all night to buy tickets to U2's Unforgettable Fire show at a Ticketron outlet (the NYC area show, forget where exactly). When I got to the head of the line the next morning I found out they only accepted cash, and I only had a credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think I have everyone beat. In 1988, while in my last year of high school, I bought a ticket to see Pink Floyd. At some point I decided I didn't want to go by myself so I sold the ticket to a guy on my lacrosse team.
    That's my musical knucklehead moment - 1977 - Had tickets for Floyd's date at Cleveland Municipal Stadium for the Animals tour. My brother was supposed to work out the transportation arrangements (I was too young to drive at the time) and he punked out, then sold our tickets on the day before the show at face value.

Close second was leaving a Frank Zappa show midway through. (You Are What You Is or Sheik Yerbouti tour date at Richfield Coliseum, can't recall offhand which).

Non-musical knucklehead moment: a) getting married in 1987 and b) dragging it out until 2010 to file for divorce.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

So my enjoyment of one of the greatest concerts ever was diminished by the fact that my friend was sitting elsewhere and the girl I was with had a look of horror on her face once the show started and that giant war of the worlds set started moving. I knew she wanted to leave but I made her sit through the whole thing since I wasn't going to miss this show for anything. The ride home was very uncomfortable with two shell-shocked girls not saying anything, while I wanted to excitedly discuss every detail of the show with my friend but didn't dare. That girl never spoke to me again after that. I didn't ride my buddy too hard because he realized what a mistake it was.

From that I figured that it's okay to go to a concert ALONE if you can't find anyone who's a huge fan of the band to go with.
    Funny story………. I had a similar experience. Went to see a triple bill of Rainbow (headliner), 38 Special (in the middle) and Iron Maiden (Opening) with my at the time girlfriend. She was mainly a country music fan, so needless to say when Iron Maiden hit the stage she was like “what the fu*k is this sh*t”. Of course I was loving it. Their set was only about 45 minutes so she made it through that. 38 Special was more her taste so she tolerated that pretty well. Then Rainbow hit the stage and they were just incredibly loud (still one of the loudest concerts I have ever witnessed). She made it through about half their set, said “I can’t take this” and got up and left her seat. As a good boyfriend, I guess I should have followed her, but I stayed right where I was at through the end of their main set (at least another 45 minutes). When the main set finished I went out to the main concourse in the front of the arena and there she sat pissed as hell at me. I left with her then, but as we were walking to the car I could hear Rainbow kicking into “Smoke On The Water” and was really pissed I was missing out on that, so then we were both pissed. I don’t think my girlfriend and I spoke to each other for a week after that night. We eventually broke up not too long after that.

These days it is not unusual for me to go to concerts by myself.

Funny thread. I'm cracking up reading about all these horrible concert experiences that involve girlfriends and shit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    This ^

I didn't go to a lot of rock concerts in the 70s but I've been to a lot of live music events over 40 years. I've never had a hangup about going alone to concerts, movies, etc. When something like seeing a band I love (and paying money) is that important, I'd prefer to play it safe and not have to depend on "buddies" to get tickets, or "pick me up" or any of that crap. At concerts I always meet people and make friends anyway. I found out about PE at a Kansas concert so many years ago.

I had a friend who literally gave me tickets to see Jethro Tull on the ... Stormwatch? tour. I still regret not going.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

In 1982 one of my heroes, Laurie Anderson, came to town. She'd just released the 'O Superman' single and was working with sampling and making innovative instruments like the tape-bow violin, which used a length of 1/4" tape in her violin bow and a tape head where the strings should be. I'd been writing record reviews for Electronic Musician magazine for a while, but somehow I convinced my editor Craig Anderton to let me write my first feature article, which would be a concert review and interview with Laurie. Her management agreed to a private interview after the show, and I couldn't have been more excited.

On the day of her appearance, after a thrilling show where she debuted all sorts of new material, I made my way backstage and her people guided me to a room off her dressing room. There was a table and a couple chairs. In a few seconds Laurie appeared, toweling off from her concert. She was surprisingly petite, maybe 5 foot and a hundred pounds. We shook hands and I introduced myself, then we sat down to do the interview.

I turned on my cassette recorder -- and nothing. Batteries were totally dead. In all my excitement I hadn't checked them, or brought spares!

We laughed about my piker mistake. Then Laurie, bless her heart, sat and chatted with me anyway for at least a half hour. We covered her history, how she got into electronic music, how she did some of her signature gimmicks, what she had planned for the future -- all "off the record" because I couldn't record her.

I ended up writing something vague and unsourced for the magazine, but I don't think they even ran it because it was all second-hand.

About 10-12 yrs ago, I bought 4 tix to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd in Myrtle Beach, SC, about 3 hrs away. We hit the road early so we could spend time walking around, shopping, tailgating, etc. About an hour from home, I realized I forgot to bring the tix. Needless to say, all in our group were pissed at me, as we had to turn around and go back to get them. We ended up getting to the venue just in time, but missed out on any pre-show activities. I now love having tickets on my smart phone instead of having to keep track of paper.

I also have a friend who left for NEARfest one year, from NC, and forgot his tickets, so drove back to get them. I guess he had left a day early, not sure if he got all the way to PA or not before he realized he didn't have his tickets. I told him I would have tried to get in without them, figuring Rob and Chad would have a record of all tickets bought, but he didn't want to risk not being able to get in.

Just this past November I bought a single ticket to see Eric Johnson and Mike Stern together, an excellent seat, third row center, at a very nice venue in Durham, NC. Day of show came and went and I completely forgot about it until the day after.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    the almost boneheaded thing I did concertwise:
    Monster Magnet was playing their Spine of God anniversary shows at Starland Ballroom and the Trocadero, but my parents were not going to be home and I had to dogsit one of the nights.

So I buy tickets for the Starland, but accidentally ask off of work the wrong night.

I realize this, but did not notice the Trocadero.

If I recall, the show at the Starland wound up being cancelled due to damage to the venue by Sandy and it just so happened that the show at the Trocadero, a better venue IMO, was on the night I requested off from work to go.

non-concertwise: too many to mention...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

At first glance I thought the thread was titled Knucklehead College. Had to come in to see what that was about.

I've bought tix to a few shows where we ended up staying home due to my social anxiety. I'm glad that's over-with.

In the summer of 1969, a friend gave me a ticket ($3.50!!) to Jimi Hendrix at the Rhode Island Auditorium. The night of the show, his dad (we were high school juniors) picks me up and we (3 or 4 of us, I think) go to the auditorium. We're waiting outside, and a buzz starts that Hendrix isn't showing. Sure enough, he's a no show. We leave. A month of so later, Jimi is supposed to come back to town and all tickets were to be honored. Again we go, and again he's a no-show. A few month's later he's to come back and all tickets are honored. I gave up and figured he's not coming. Sold the ticket for face value to another friend. Of course, this time Jimi shows and my friend said the show was amazing. Jimi speared his guitar into a Marshall. Buy high, sell low: that's me.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    In the summer of 1969, a friend gave me a ticket ($3.50!!) to Jimi Hendrix at the Rhode Island Auditorium. The night of the show, his dad (we were high school juniors) picks me up and we (3 or 4 of us, I think) go to the auditorium. We're waiting outside, and a buzz starts that Hendrix isn't showing. Sure enough, he's a no show. We leave. A month of so later, Jimi is supposed to come back to town and all tickets were to be honored. Again we go, and again he's a no-show. A few month's later he's to come back and all tickets are honored. I gave up and figured he's not coming. Sold the ticket for face value to another friend. Of course, this time Jimi shows and my friend said the show was amazing. Jimi speared his guitar into a Marshall. Buy high, sell low: that's me.
    Lou,
    That is probably the most heartbreaking story so far.

What a cathartic thread! Here's mine (I've told some people this story, so forgive me if you have heard it). I had tickets to see ELP on their Black Moon tour (hey, it was ELP playing live...don't judge!) . Anyhow, it was at the PNC Bank Arts Center. I'm following directions, and as we get closer I start seeing heavier traffic -- you know, for the ELP show. I'm chatting with my friends and absentmindedly following road signs for the venue. BUT WHICH VENUE? It wasn't the PNC Bank Arts Center...I started following Meadowlands/Giants Stadium signs and traffic. We get out, wait on line, reach the ticket takers, pass through, and are about to make our way to the ushers when we realize one of our friends is stopped at the door and a bit of a commotion has broken out. Seems his ticket was for an ELP concert, not the SOLD-OUT BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN CONCERT we had just inadvertently entered. The ticket takers are madly trying to fish our stubs out for us, while the sea of people waiting to get in are getting understandably pissed off. Somehow they find all of our stubs, and we push back towards the car (against the current, as there are still about 3/4 of a mile's worth of people trying to get INTO the venue). We managed to make it on time for the ELP show, remarkably. Missing Jason Bonham's opening act was the small price we paid for my foolishness.

The lesson here was: in the pre-digital 90's, the best way to get into a sold-out show was to buy tickets for another concert and try your luck at the gate.

^ Funny!

Once before going into a Tull show at Jones Beach my friend realized he'd locked his keys in his car. So I went in and he said he'd meet me after AAA or whoever unlocked his car. Once they unlocked it, he left his mobile phone on the hood of the car when he drove off.

Remarkably, no weed was involved!

Some background music for these tales of woe...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I had a university roommate in the 70s who was a double-Knucklehead winner.

His brother had tickets to go see Genesis on The Lamb tour but didn't go because he didn't like Genesis at the time. Also, some friends want him to go with them to see April Wine at the El Mocambo in Toronto but he hated April Wine and didn't go...and that was the night that the Rolling Stones showed up unannounced and part of the show ended up on the Love You Live album.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

When I was online to see The Clash and The Who at Rich Stadium, there was a young guy outside who was already so drunk he was vomiting. Knucklehead!