Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAJ Review: King Crimson, Live at the Orpheum

AAJ Review: King Crimson, Live at the Orpheum

My review of King Crimson, Live at the Orpheum, today at All About Jazz.

It was the reunion nobody expected. After years of touring in circumstances less than ideal—and, for him, distinctly and increasingly unpleasant—co-founder and only remaining original member Robert Fripp was as clear as can be that he was done with his flagship group King Crimson. A brief four-city, eleven-date 2008 tour—with a revamped version of the 2000-2003 quartet, also featuring Adrian Belew, Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotto reunited but with previous bassist/stick man Tony Levin replacing Gunn and a second drummer, then-Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison, added—documented by the digital download-only
    Park West, Chicago, Illinois August 7, 2008 (DGM Live, 2008), seemed the last nail in the coffin. And so it was with great surprise to the group's legion of fans when Fripp announced, in September, 2013, that he was bringing Crimson back into active duty, albeit with a significantly altered lineup.

In retrospect it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise. In 2011, A Scarcity of Miracles (Panegyric) was released as "A King Crimson ProjeKct," the ProjeKcts being previously associated with experimental permutations and combinations of members from the 1994-1997 double trio Crimson that, in addition to Fripp, Belew, Gunn and Mastelotto, also included Levin and drummer Bill Bruford from the '80s-era incarnation responsible for albums including Discipline (E.G., 1981).

Scarcity was, however, an entirely different beast. It began as a duo project of improvisations between Fripp and guitarist/vocalist Jakko M. Jakszyk—who, despite being around for many years, had only begun to make a bigger name for himself since the turn of the millennium as a member of the Crimson alum-manned 21st Century Schizoid Band and his own superb Bruised Romantic Glee Club (Iceni, 2006). When the pair listened to the music they'd recorded, however, they decided to recruit saxophonist/flautist Mel Collins, last heard as a member of Crimson on Islands (Island, 1971) and associated touring that resulted in the group fracturing, but not before leaving a low-fi and largely dismissed live album, Earthbound (Island, 1972)—though he did make a guest appearance on Red (Island, 1975), the group's influential 1970s studio swan song. From there, one thing led to another and, with Jakszyk taking the recordings home to write lyrics and reshape the material into something more closely resembling song form, the trio became a quintet with the addition of Levin and Harrison.

Sadly—and unfairly—the album received mixed reviews, despite being one of the most flat-out beautiful song-form recordings Fripp has ever made with anyone, largely because it seemed that, with the Crimson ProjeKct moniker, critics felt somehow duty-bound to draw comparisons with virtually every Crimson album that came before. Jakszyk—in addition to being a remarkable guitarist as capable of pulling off lightning fast legato lines à la Allan Holdsworth as he is solos of profound lyricism and perfect simplicity—is an emotive but non-melismatic singer with a clearly distinct and recognizable voice, but far too many critics seemed unable to assess him on his own merits, with some comparing him to original Crimson vocalist Greg Lake, others to mid- '70s Crimson's John Wetton...and still others to both Lake and Wetton. They were all wrong.

Continue reading here...

chalkpie
    wow man - great great review! You are the man.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice review, I will certainly be buying.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    wow man - great great review! You are the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice review, I will certainly be buying.
    Thanks, as ever, to the both of you (and to anyone else who might post) for the kind words.

I preordered the DL from iTunes--perhaps I should cancel and order the DVD? How much better is the sound quality at 24-96 level?

Jakko linked this review on his FB this morning, and I read it then. Burning Shed has despatched my order, and I'm eagerly awaiting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I preordered the DL from iTunes--perhaps I should cancel and order the DVD? How much better is the sound quality at 24-96 level?
    Don't have the 24/96 yet, was just sent a digital version of the 16/44 but I would honestly recommend it...even CD quality will trump mastered for iTunes, imo. I hope to have the hard media version this week. But for now, CD quality was what I had...and it sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Jakko linked this review on his FB this morning, and I read it then. Burning Shed has despatched my order, and I'm eagerly awaiting.
    Yes, that was very nice of him to do....

Very insightful review, particularly comments about Adrians reign in KC. Im still waiting for my CD... This is the most excited I've been about my favorite band in a long time. Hoping for some new material from this lineup as well in the future. Although I don't share your enthusiasm for scarcity of miracles, hey, they had to start somewhere. Long live the King. Im certain that the success of the elements tour has rejuvenated the bands past spirit in ways that will soon become apparent.
    Still alive and well...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like Scarcity but it's not a Crimson album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I know that this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if the vinyl comes with a digital download. I reached out to DGM and got a reply that they aren't handling the LP sales and don't know - I can't find any documentation either way. Thanks
    Last edited by gflorio; 01-11-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like Scarcity but it's not a Crimson album.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by gflorio View Post
    I know that this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if the vinyl comes with a digital download. I reached out to DGM and got a reply that they aren't handling the LP sales and don't know - I can find any documentation either way. Thanks
    Sorry, but I don't know.....

Awesome review and I was always going to get this anyway. I like this part best: "Instead of concentrating on what it lacks,we should appreciate what it has." I may have misquoted this but I painted the picture I hope.

Great job on the review. My only minor quibble- I'd say the drum-line was twelve limbed rather than six, 'cause drummers have that kooky wacko hand/foot thing going on...

...but yeah, my appetite has been whetted and I'll be picking this release up, asap. I think there's a big 'more to come' sign with Crimson these days, which to me, is the best news possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Awesome review and I was always going to get this anyway. I like this part best: "Instead of concentrating on what it lacks,we should appreciate what it has." I may have misquoted this but I painted the picture I hope.
    You did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Great job on the review. My only minor quibble- I'd say the drum-line was twelve limbed rather than six, 'cause drummers have that kooky wacko hand/foot thing going on...

...but yeah, my appetite has been whetted and I'll be picking this release up, asap. I think there's a big 'more to come' sign with Crimson these days, which to me, is the best news possible.
    D'oh. You are absolutely right. I will fix!

Got an Amazon gift card from my employees for Xmas, this and the Tour Box were ordered. Tour box should come tomorrow.....woohoo!!

You certainly got my attention! Very nice. I will definitely be buying this now... not that I wasnt anyway.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Heh- heh...he said "polyrhythmic stew."

Great review - psyched to receive my DGM preorder, whenever that will be...

This is a superb addition to fans of live King Crimson releases. Quality on show from all seven members;good over-all sound,and some interesting choice of songs,leaving the best to last with Starless! Just wish the whole of the concert had made it onto disc! Maybe one day……! 2015 has begun with a gem of an album! Now Mr.Fripp how about a new studio Crimson album?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Jakko linked this review on his FB this morning, and I read it then.
    I'm not surprised: that is one of the most glowing reviews I've seen about any record in a fair while!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Absolutely!
    I have, fie the life of me, never ever understood the fascination with rock 'n roll naming schemes and band names. . It's a marketing thing more than anything else, a trademark that translates into cash and has goodwill and marketable title.

Otherwise, at the end of the day, it's just musicians playing music. I can't think of another form of music that is so heavily reliant on band name. The only significance of differentiating the Milt Jackson quartet from the modern Jazz quartet is that the former is more democratic, even if John Lewis was the real musical director. Either way, the MJQ is just musicians playing music and there is no metaphysical significance to the name

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I have, fie the life of me, never ever understood the fascination with rock 'n roll naming schemes and band names. . It's a marketing thing more than anything else, a trademark that translates into cash and has goodwill and marketable title.

Otherwise, at the end of the day, it's just musicians playing music. I can't think of another form of music that is so heavily reliant on band name. The only significance of differentiating the Milt Jackson quartet from the modern Jazz quartet is that the former is more democratic, even if John Lewis was the real musical director. Either way, the MJQ is just musicians playing music and there is no metaphysical significance to the name
    I kind of disagree... The name is part of the spell cast in 1969 that still has its power today, as was the cover art, the look of the band members. All of these "elements" worked together to create a certain aura or magic that a package like "Giles, Giles, and Fripp probably could not. Of course the music is the main concern but many other forces come into play when attaining the heights and longevity of legendary bands. The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, King Crimson et al... Are entities in their own right, and they have names... well respected and even revered. It just happens. Probably why Mungo Jerry or Norman Greenbaum did not last long. Metaphysical is a good word.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 01-12-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Still alive and well...

It's been getting some negative reviews on Amazon UK, regarding the mix. Does anyone here have a problem with the mix?