Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy The Man- s/t 'Masterpiece Debut'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mike Beck's contribution was as much performance art as it was percussion.
    His 'kit' was pretty massive. I don't remember if he had a kitchen sink, but he had a whole bunch of stuff.
    It added a bunch of magic to the live performances.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Two peas from the same pod for me.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'll also add that I love Death's Crown very much too. In-fact, it might be the one album of their's that gets the most spins here at my place.

In a record-store in 1979 I listened to S/T after reading a review. But the record-shop owner advised to buy Crafty Hands, which I bought without listening. Later I bought S/T too. Maybe because I was more and more into progressive jazz-rock I've always loved Crafty Hands more. Ron Riddle's drumming was very much in the style of Bill Bruford and I guess it was a good choice when they reunited they asked him for the job. But through the years S/T has grown on me, especially after the remastered CD's. Because the LP was quite long, there was not a lot of dynamic in it. The One Way/Musea-release showed the real beauty of the album.

Better Late could have been a lot better too with a Ken Scott-production.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very strange to me that someone could like the first but not Crafty Hands. Wind Up Doll Day Wind is just amazing. The rest is really just as great.

I actually heard Better Late... first, then went back and got the first two. I think they're all fantastic, and it's so head & shoulders above most everything else, that I can't really favor one track over another. I did see them a couple times at State Theater (2000, 2002). They were supposed to release the 2000 show, but couldn't, because of a certain howler.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I'm not that familiar with the albums but I've seen them live about three times and they were great. For some reason they are considered to be a relatively obscure band over at progarchives. Folks over there didn't seem to agree with me that they are pretty much legendary in prog circles(or at least hardcore prog circles).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ..... For some reason they are considered to be a relatively obscure band over at progarchives. Folks over there didn't seem to agree with me that they are pretty much legendary in prog circles(or at least hardcore prog circles).
    As Steve F. mentioned they were pretty huge in the VA, DC, MD- mid atlantic area. One of the best shows I've ever seen was when a local radio station sponsored a huge concert at Carter Baron Amphitheater in DC. Aug 30 1977, what a great night. They could have had great success if Arista hadn't unceremoniously dropped them like a used rubber..
    Last edited by Proghound; 01-03-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    They could have had great success if Arista hadn't unceremoniously dropped them like a used rubber..
    They had their shot at great success and no one was buying. BOTH albums on Arista were total sales failures. I loved them. I would have loved to see them get some success, but to blame Arista for their lack of success for dropping them after TWO albums that didn't sell shit, is really, just misguided, IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

[QUOTE=Steve F.;353562]They had their shot at great success and no one was buying. BOTH albums on Arista were total sales failures....../QUOTE]

and especially in those days that had a lot to do with promotion, pairing them with appropriate acts, and pushing radio stations...They were a talented band and Arista obviously saw potential or they wouldn't have booked them to begin with, but I don't feel, and I don't believe they felt they got the support... I don't solely blame Arista, but I'm not misguided either.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post

....and I don't believe they felt they got the got the support...
    Find me ONE BAND who were on a major label, did NOT make it, and say, "Well, I guess the time wasn't right for us; we certainly got the support!"

All I'm asking for is one!

Seriously, it was 1978; what big radio station was going to play THAT music at THAT time?

They didn't pair them with 'appropriate' acts because by the time their albums were coming out, symphonic rock was DEAD. Who were they going to play with who were appropriate? Talking Heads? DEVO?

The time when they MIGHT (maybe) have had a chance in the marketplace was 5 years earlier. It certainly wasn't their fault, but their timing of what they had to offer in the MARKETPLACE was at least 5 years off.

IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The debut is at the top of the list for me as well. But Crafty Hands and Death's Crown are close behind.

I also have a soft spot for Beginnings.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I found Crafty Hands took longer to click with me, but these days I tend to reach for it more than the (still marvelous) debut.

That's not due to the relative lack of vocals: I really enjoy his voice. There's a vulnerability to it that I find appealing.

I think 'Starborne' is one of the best album openers I've heard.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Crafty hands is a fair bit better imo. The highlight of the debut is Upon the rainbow

The times they were a changin'.. is why they were dumped by Arista.. I was fortunate to see them with Beck.. agree he was quite the percussionist.. IMHO he is why the debut was so special..also saw them on the tour supporting the second album with Coco behind the kit.. Wonderful show.. as well.. As Steve mentioned they made their rounds in my "backyard" Charlottesville, and of course Harrisonburg (where I saw them twice) and had quite the cult following.. Kit is still in my opinion every bit as strong as any of the keyboardist of that time.. Wakeman, Moraz, Emerson, Banks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Kit is still in my opinion every bit as strong as any of the keyboardist of that time.. Wakeman, Moraz, Emerson, Banks etc.
    IMHO he would outplay all of those, and I'm not kidding or exaggerating.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd agree. Awesome player. Although the styles of other guys might trump him a touch for me... I still love Jan Hammer's style more than any other player. That's just my thing.

Not Emo at his peak.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

In what way?

I know it's never enough for you to praise someone you like or see him praised. You have to assert that he is leaps and bounds beyond the more "known" players.

I mean, the guy is one of the most brilliant Moog soloists of all time, and one hell of a player. But he lacked some discipline and arguably overplayed one hell of a lot. As a composer, to try to match him up with Banks or Emerson would just be silly, IMO. And Wakeman was arguably a much more capable team player. He could bring ideas to life without ever touching his pitch wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I know it's never enough for you
    I CAN'T GET ENOUGH, JEFF!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think the primary difference between Kit and Emo/Wakey is one of taste. E & W were showmen/entertainers. They impress the 'chops' crowd enormously but IMO they struggle (sometimes successfully, e.g 'Karn Evil 9, Second Impression' and 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII') for content of much lasting worth. Bread and circuses, otherwise.

I'd put him alongside Banks and Moraz, however.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I think the primary difference between Kit and Emo/Wakey is one of taste. E & W were showmen/entertainers. They impress the 'chops' crowd enormously but IMO they struggle (sometimes successfully, e.g 'Karn Evil 9, Second Impression' and 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII') for content of much lasting worth. Bread and circuses, otherwise.
    This.

You somehow feel that at heart he was a fusion player. Technically speaking, he was probably closest to Moraz (from the ones mentioned) or perhaps someone like Patrick Gauthier.

I love them all, but Crafty Hands is my fav...
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

My first exposure to HTM was "Retrospective". My 2nd was "Muse Awakens". I liked both a lot but did not really become a slobbering fanboy until I saw them live at a microbrewery outside of Boston in 2003 or 04. To this day that remains a lifetime top-10 concert experience. For a few days afterward I was walking around in a daze thinking about not much other than the show--and how privileged I was to have seen something that great. I bought HTM and CH after that and love 'em both. No way I could pick one over the other.

I also think Stan's vocals are fine. It may be that he lacked confidence in them since their two singers from before the debut were very good.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like Death's Crown and Beginnings better than the Arista albums.