Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact: New Progressive Rock Band with Simon Collins & Squids!

WeatherWiseCDC
    Hi, guys. New poster here, but a big music fan, and particularly a fan of Genesis, ELO, and Chicago. Also a major fan of a lot of Canadian rock. There are a lot of great bands in Canadian music history like Prism, Harlequin, Max Webster, April Wine, and Saga (another prog rock band) that have been forgotten. I see Dave has worked with Rik Emmett and Neil Peart before, which is very cool!

According to Inside Out's webpage for "Not Coming Down," there's a radio edit planned as well:

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/releas...IdRelease=1481

Sound Of Contact
    Not Coming Down (Digital single)
    20/05/2013
    CD & Digital Download

Not Coming Down (Radio edit)
    Not Coming Down
    Maybe that's how we'll be hearing the band on the airwaves. It's the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-17-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Also a major fan of a lot of Canadian rock.
    Welcome, WeatherWiseCDC; are you familiar with a gentleman named Jaimie Vernon? He's written "The Canadian Pop Music Encyclopedia".

Maybe that's how we'll be hearing the band on the airwaves. It's the best of both worlds.
    I can't think of anything cooler than that happening -- here's hoping!

WeatherWiseCDC
    The guys have hinted that they'll be performing Keep It Dark on tour, which I find really cool. I actually posted in 2011 the recording most people have listened to on YouTube; prior to that, it was very difficult to find anywhere at all. It was only ever released as a free digital download, though only for a limited time. It took me many hours to find it online anywhere, and I thought I would upload it with the hope that Genesis listeners would stumble upon it while browsing the video-sharing site. I wasn't sure if it would be uploaded if I hadn't done it, as it really was difficult to find. I don't know if it would have been available to listen to any other way. That association, I thought, would really notify the public that Phil had a son with tremendous talent. I'm from Vancouver, so it was a shock to me when I discovered Simon was also from Vancouver. Over here, we haven't heard much at all about him; I've done what I can to share the news.

My first course of action: make the new upload the video response to the Genesis version of Keep It Dark with the most hits! The limited time download links posted in 2007 had gone obsolete, and I think the only available recording was on an obscure media website. I hope I did my part, as a fan, to help you guys (Dave, Simon, Matt, Kelly) out. Suffice to say, I wish you guys would re-release the track, as the one I uploaded was ripped from a website and as a result has some data/quality loss. I don't think my upload does justice to the track, though I'm really, really happy to see that it hit 38,000 views! I feel the uploaded video gave curious listeners a chance to discover Simon in the most obvious way. When one searches "Keep It Dark," Simon's version is the third highest option. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit proud of that, though thanks should go entirely to the band for their music. :P

Thanks for the music, guys!

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-17-2013 at 10:06 PM.

I see that the Classic Rock Revisited website has this video as the feature on their main page. This is a pretty major league web page and should certainly get the band some exposure.

Steve Sly

WeatherWiseCDC
    Thought I would post this again so that it's on the top of this page rather than at the bottom of the previous page:

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Check it out!

A few reviews of the album:

http://www.migmag.co.uk/album-review...nd-of-contact/
    http://www.dawnofthedeaf.co.uk/sound...-album-review/
    http://www.seenitheardit.com/2013/05...-dimensionaut/
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-17-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Banned
    Thought I would post this again so that it's on the top of this page rather than at the bottom of the previous page:

A few reviews of the album:

http://www.dawnofthedeaf.co.uk/sound...-album-review/
    Well, it's in the middle of this page(not the top).

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Well, it's in the middle of this page(not the top).

Just wait until there are 20 posts on this page.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-17-2013 at 10:38 PM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Here's another review, this one with an in-depth analysis of the entire album:

http://blog.clearvisionstudios.net/s...-album-review/

SUMMARY
    I need you all to go out and buy this album, capice? This is modern Prog, and it’s accessible and lovely and built to appeal to a wide range of audiences, without throwing in an obvious radio-accessible hit. It IS a concept album from start to finish, and it doesn’t stray from that. It merely takes pages from other successful concept albums, including Duke and other such not-quite-a-full-concept-but-close-enough albums by having melodically and rhythmically challenging instrumentals and infectious songs intertwined. You can’t really miss with this one. Simon and company have taken away all of the road blocks to Prog assimilation on this one. Go tell your S.O. that a new heavyweight Prog Pop/Rock band has come to the rescue. Then tell them I sent you, because I want to be invited along too.

That review makes it out to be "safe prog". Hopefully that's not the case.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    That review makes it out to be "safe prog". Hopefully that's not the case.
    I think he just means to say it's a great album that would attract a lot of music listeners to the progressive rock genre, which is certainly a good thing. There are some songs that general audiences will like a lot -- for example, "Not Coming Down." The reception for the single has been very good so far, and those I've approached with the single have really enjoyed it. Here's an excerpt from another review, which I also posted above:

As soon as Simon’s vocals kick in during opener ‘Sound of Contact’, it’s easy to see whose son he is. Simon Collins seems to channel his father throughout the album and this isn’t a bad thing. His soaring vocals stand out amongst the songs, taking the listener along for the ride. Technically, the band is brilliant with guitarists Kelly Nordstrom and Matt Dorsey demonstrating impressive skills on guitars, accompanied by Dave Kerzner on keyboards, who gives the more metal sound to Sound of Contact, keeping in touch with the Prog Rock feel of the 70’s. And who plays drums on the album? Simon Collins, who proves he could easily keep up with his father in his prime.

The album’s audience is clear; Prog-Rock/Metal aficionados. With such songs as the instrumental ‘Cosmic Distant Ladder’ and the 19 minute epic ‘Mobius Slip’ bringing back the atmosphere of bands like Yes and giving them a modern makeover. However, there are pleasant surprises in the form of tracks ‘Closer to You’ and ‘Beyond Illumination’; the latter featuring enchanting guest vocals form Hannah Stobart, which show the bands more ballad infused side. The latter track would also be a welcome addition to any radio station playlist. But the real highlight is ‘Only Breathing Out’, a piano driven track that really focuses in on Simon Collins’ fantastic vocals.

When all is said and done, Dimensionaut is a strong debut from Sound of Contact. It’s technically brilliant and is a must for any Prog-Rock fan. That’s not to say there isn’t something for everyone with the band really showing diversity in its pace. It was going to be difficult to live up to his father Phil’s name and the legacy he and Genesis created. However, Simon Collins has taken a big step out from behind his father’s shadow and into the light.
    This review suggests the album will appeal to the diehard progressive rock audience, but that it also has some tunes that will catch the attention of everyone else. I think that's a great thing.

Interestingly enough, the reviewer above believes "Only Breathing Out" to be the album's best track. The review below suggests "Beyond Illumination" is, also contradicting the other two reviews. We'll find out soon enough!

“Beyond Illumination” has a very reggae groove throughout and a brilliant female vocal performance from Hannah Stobart; that makes this easily the best track on the album. Also “Realm Of In-Organic Beings” felt like a little nod to Pink Floyd’s “The Great Gig In The Sky”.

“Dimensionaut” is a big sounding album, but it won’t appeal to all music fans. However, it’s still a interesting debut that fans of Progressive Rock will no doubt enjoy. I would like to see how it will all sound live, and will be interested to see what the future holds for them.
    Really, I think striking a balance between the two is probably the best result to strive for. Without trying to draw comparisons at all, I think Selling England By the Pound and The Dark Side of the Moon are albums that both hardcore progressive rock fans and casual listeners can really appreciate. Those albums are widely called some of the best ever, and in the case of the latter, all sorts of audiences really enjoy it. Some of the older Genesis stuff gets lost on a lot of non-Genesis listeners despite the grandeur and complexities that diehard progressive rock listeners enjoy. I think that's what these reviewers are hinting at.

The band's own press release states the following:

http://www.soundofcontact.com/press/...nd-of-contact/
    With their debut album “Dimensionaut”, they hit the ground running with a deep concept album about a dimensional time and space traveler making wild discoveries on a trek to expand the boundaries of the human experience. The album features a wide range of styles and dynamics from dark and mysterious progressive rock to nostalgic classic rock to high energy alternative to sci-fi film score-infused “space rock”. With a plethora of atmospheric instrumental segues, melodic radio-friendly vocal tracks and an 18+ minute long epic grand finale, “Dimensionaut” will offer a refreshing balance of adventurous musical styles and aims to bring back the art of the concept album to a new generation of listeners.
    Certainly, if their aim is to bridge the gap between this generation of music listeners and progressive rock, this is a brilliant approach.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Banned
    I am listening to Beyond Illumination on YouTube, and am noticing how much Simon sounds like Peter Gabriel on some parts of the song.

WeatherWiseCDC
    The album has been released in Europe and to those who preordered it. It will be available on North American shelves in about a week (May 28, 2013).

I'd love to hear what you guys who have the album so far think. It's quite a thrill to see members of this particular music community release something with so much anticipation from the public. It's also very cool that Dave posts here. There are a few samples on YouTube, as JIF alluded to. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to mention that. :P I don't know if Dave and the guys want that taken down for now.

Here's another review.

http://renownedforsound.com/index.ph...-dimensionaut/
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-20-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Banned
    The album has been released in Europe and to those who preordered it. It will be available on North American shelves in about a week (May 28, 2013).

I'd love to hear what you guys who have the album so far think. It's quite a thrill to see members of this particular music community release something with so much anticipation from the public. It's also very cool that Dave posts here. There are a few samples on YouTube, as JIF alluded to. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to mention that. :P I don't know if Dave and the guys want that taken down for now.

Here's another review.

http://renownedforsound.com/index.ph...-dimensionaut/
    Sorry that I let the cat out of the bag.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Sorry that I let the cat out of the bag.
    It would have appeared anyway if anyone searched "Sound of Contact" in the YouTube search. Every other recording of every other song by every other band is on YouTube, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Banned
    It would have appeared anyway if anyone searched "Sound of Contact" in the YouTube search. Every other recording of every other song by every other band is on YouTube, so I don't think it's a big deal.
    I only found four SOC vids on YouTube. One is the music video for the single, one was another song, and two were live performances.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Well, I may as well post them since we're having this discussion. If a mod thinks this is inappropriate, please delete this post. I don't want to break any rules or do a disservice to the band. Buy the album if you like what you hear! So far, there are three recordings available on YouTube: "I Am Dimensionaut," "Cosmic Distance Ladder," and "Beyond Illumination." I won't post any others here.

This is just a small sample of what's available on the album, and in fact it's a random sample as three different people uploaded different tracks. Two of the three were uploaded in 240p, so there's some inherent audio compression in these uploads and the sound quality isn't as crystal clear as it would be on the album itself. I can't say whether or not they're the best tracks on the album or not, though several reviewers have really praised "Beyond Illumination." The sound quality here is highly compressed; nothing beats listening to the CD itself in its pristine format.

Buy the album if you like what you hear!

2:53 is one of the awesome parts featured in the excerpts video:

Here's another official video (I edited this post to replace the unofficial upload earlier with the official one):

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    And here's the excerpts video again for a well-rounded look at what the album will sound like. All three of the songs above are shown in the first 1:27 of the video (along with "Pale Blue Dot," one of the songs performed on the tour), so there's plenty more on the album itself:

Looks like I've got some catching up to do. We just got back from the tour and I think that was the first good night's sleep I've had in weeks! I haven't read these reviews but curious to check it out.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Looks like I've got some catching up to do. We just got back from the tour and I think that was the first good night's sleep I've had in weeks! I haven't read these reviews but curious to check it out.

With regard to the "safe prog" idea... oh, I don't know about that necessarily. I mean it's no less prog than an album like Duke for example. Probably more prog than that actually. But, none of us went into it saying "we must make this prog!!!!!". It was more about what felt appropriate in each song and what naturally came out as a band given the influences we have collectively. I'm probably the most progrock influenced one in the band and since I'm the keyboard player and progrock has a lot of keys there's a certain weight to that I think. There are three instrumentals on the album and a fair amount of instrumental sections, keyboard solos etc. We didn't go nuts on odd time signatures although there are a few moments of that too. I'd say it's safe to call it Prog in the way that a band like Marillion is prog... you could perhaps say "song oriented" with lots of vintage keyboard sounds, moods, atmosphere, dynamics... it really is hard to define "prog" if you think about it but in the end does that really matter? If you like bands like Genesis, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Sigur Ros, Peter Gabriel, The Police, Marillion, The Beatles and other influences you can hear the roots of in this music then maybe it's something that could be up your alley! You get 72 minutes of music on there including a 19+ minute track.

By the way, there's a new music video for "Cosmic Distance Ladder" coming out today which has footage from the gig we played at the Marillion weekend. The audio is from the album though not live. We do also have some recorded live videos coming later.

As for the unofficial vids of the album tracks posted... yes that's true people do that all the time. Sometimes the labels take them down though. Sometimes they stick around. As long as people support the bands they like by buying the album that to me is what's important in this strange music world we live in today.
    I want to hear some SOC songs on YouTube, but I will still buy the CD, Dave.

Is it on Spotify? I will buy it, but I'd like to give it a spin first.

WeatherWiseCDC
    It's great to hear from you, Dave! It seems like you guys had a lot of fun on the tour. The album sounds incredible so far, and I'll certainly be one to purchase it when it arrives in North America. You discussed a few pages earlier about a potential North American tour. It would be lovely to see you guys here on the west coast. I do have a question regarding whether you think the first single is going to get any airplay. It doesn't seem like you guys are gaining much of a social media presence yet, which can be frustrating. I haven't heard too much chatter about you guys on Twitter or social media, but I'm pretty sure if any major media personality mentions the band, things will escalate quickly.

Be sure to let the stations know, and to spread the news! I see you have a radio version of "Not Coming Down." Your debut single sounds great, and I think if only people knew, you might see more hits on YouTube and a surge in interest. I can't wait to hear it on the airwaves, though I believe a certain push is needed. Those who've followed you here and on Facebook are thrilled about the album, but so far there has been little mention of the band in most circles I've been involved in. I think one factor that kept Simon from becoming more well-known in Vancouver is that he never approached the media or received any media attention. In Vancouver, not too many people are familiar with their hometown musician, which is unfortunate and quite disappointing. I know a few people he attended school with, and they aren't sure what he's up to right now. His identity and voice (with its superb Peter Gabriel + Phil Collins qualities) could help generate a lot of interest from listeners in him and the band, and your own experience I think would bring in interest from rock enthusiasts who have not heard of the band yet.

From what I've heard and read so far, the album is terrific. Congratulations! Everything is there: the sound, the experience you and your bandmates have acquired over the years, and the quality of the album. You've done a great job. I feel there is an opportunity for you guys here if you push for it. You just need that spark to have your voices heard. I think you have it all worked out though. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Cheers!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-21-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Be sure to let the stations know, and to spread the news! I see you have a radio version of "Not Coming Down." Your debut single sounds great, and I think if only people knew, you'd see more hits on YouTube and a lot of interest. I can't wait to hear it on the airwaves, though a certain push is needed.
    What radio stations do you listen to? O_o
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We're not the most active on Twitter but we're catching up there. Facebook is pretty active though and that's the biggest social media spot I think... next to Youtube that is. The premier of the video was on a site called Muzu.Tv and actually the video got viewed over 30,000 times which we're certainly happy about. The Youtube video came after and it's gaining views and being shared. At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to whoever is a fan of it doing their part spreading the word. The single makes its rounds to radio stations and of course if it is popularly requested that doesn't hurt either! All I can say from my POV is that the band certainly notices and appreciates when that happens. However, that's up to you guys if you care to make those efforts. At the very least it's appreciated by those who do enjoy the sort of music we're making and want to be turned on to it.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What radio stations do you listen to? O_o
    I would think "Not Coming Down" would be suitable for a 'new rock' station like 99.3 The Fox here or 102.1 The Edge in Toronto; they play a lot of new alternative rock. Both cities have classic rock station as well, which actually are owned by the same media enterprise, Corus Entertainment. There's a certain monopoly in Canada in regards to the TV and radio media here, and if the music gets heard it generally spreads pretty quickly. There must be a reason Inside Out's website lists a radio version. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    We're not the most active on Twitter but we're catching up there. Facebook is pretty active though and that's the biggest social media spot I think... next to Youtube that is. The premier of the video was on a site called Muzu.Tv and actually the video got viewed over 30,000 times which we're certainly happy about. The Youtube video came after and it's gaining views and being shared. At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to whoever is a fan of it doing their part spreading the word. The single makes its rounds to radio stations and of course if it is popularly requested that doesn't hurt either! All I can say from my POV is that the band certainly notices and appreciates when that happens. However, that's up to you guys if you care to make those efforts. At the very least it's appreciated by those who do enjoy the sort of music we're making and want to be turned on to it.

Oh and finally... yeah, I know songs get available to download or hear for free on YT or Spotify etc. The only way for bands to continue to make records like this is if they get the actual support from those that like it. That's in the form of buying the album, coming to the shows, buying a t-shirt or something... it all counts. But, this isn't anything we don't all know here on a music site such as PE with so many musicians and bands as members as well as true fans of their music and great supporters that keep the genre around. It's interesting seeing it purely from this side though. You think "hey someone posted my song on Youtube! Wtf?" and then you think to yourself "How many times have I listened to someone's song on Youtube?" Although I have to admit that I am one of the proud few who still buy albums I like. If you're the same way then hats off to ya.
    I've done whatever I can to spread the news. I've contacted many of the major radio stations here about you guys and I've posted about you guys on various forums. Beyond that, I can't do very much as I'm only a single person and don't have much influence on large groups of people. If you guys appeared on local TV or national TV, it would be your best bet to grow in popularity. Much Music in Canada allows new artists to perform on national TV if you guys can arrange that, and rock gets a lot of attention here. At the 2013 Juno Awards in Canada, five of the eleven performers were rock artists including Metric, Hannah Georgas, and The Sheepdogs. Rock has a pretty large presence in Canada (by the way, Kevin Churko won recording engineer of the year). A recent example of a new band appearing on local TV here was Imagine Dragons, who I'd never heard of until they showed up one morning on television.

The band's involvement, I think, helps bring in a lot of interest. The media here is all centralized, so there's a good chance if you become heard on Much Music television or on one of the major radio networks, you'll get some time on the airwaves. Simon might know a bit about that. He's lived in Vancouver nearly his whole life and has been in Toronto too. Unfortunately, I can't just be one of the few in Vancouver who calls in and asks for the DJs to play a song by you guys, though I would do that for sure without hesitation. The band is great and the music is great, but nobody here has a clue; it has to be a popular movement by listeners, which can't really happen without awareness of the band happening in the first place. I think this might have been the case with Simon's solo career. He released three albums but nobody here ever heard a single word about him. Marketing and promotion play a key role, and the right things have to be done to establish your presence.

Not only that, a personal hometown connection always helps. Michael Buble is one of the most popular musicians in Vancouver because he is from the city and because he puts his face everywhere in this market, especially associating himself with the local Vancouver Canucks hockey team. Not everyone actually enjoys his music, but his songs are played everywhere and they love a good story. Simon being Phil Collins' son from Vancouver in a new band with Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel influences is a great start to establish interest. The media supports its hometown musicians and gives them an opportunity to thrive, but the musicians often have to be aggressive and assert their will on the media first. There are a few shows you guys could arrange to be on: one is the show Q on CBC Radio, broadcast nationwide. The unknown band The Box Masters appeared on Qtv because their drummer happened to be Billy Bob Thornton. Q receives a ton of listeners, although I'd recommend you don't do what Billy Bob did. Qtv gives musicians a chance to perform as well. They've certainly helped performers like Rufus Wainwright become fairly prominent.

From the least known to the most well known, bands on this program perform all the time.

Qtv's YouTube hits alone can reach 1 million+ per video.

Another show with a big following is CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight. Much Music, run by the major mass media network, Bell Media, is Canada's premiere music and music video channel. I'd really love to see the band succeed, but I truly believe the band has a greater ability in terms of marketing themselves than fans can. I think the process in which fans en masse start to request songs from you guys happens after you yourselves out for people to see and generate awareness. Awareness is the ingredient that gets the ball rolling.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.

There's no radio within a 100 miles of here that would even think of touching Sound of Contact - if only because they're mentioned in the same sentence as "prog."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally