Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact: New Progressive Rock Band with Simon Collins & Squids!

Night of the Prog was a lot of fun yesterday. We played all 20 minutes of Mobius Slip for the first time. That was the highlight for me personally. I really liked the other bands and some of them we may tour with in Europe later in the year. I wonder who from PE was there.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Banned
    Dave,

Do you have your own sound guy who either plays with sound or supervises the local engineer at these shows. A lot of the shows I've been too have had the non headlining bands get screwed on sound. The headliners have their own engineer and you can hear the difference. I was fortunate to hear Ambrosia at a park with a bandshell on July 4. Wow the sound was phenomenonal with those Nexo pa speakers. Ambrosia's sound quality outclassed the previous act. BTW Ambrosia had a good proggy jam with of course those David Pack pop hits, but no Pack and great stand ins.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-14-2013 at 07:31 PM.

We do have our own sound guy as much as he's available. His name is Rob Aubrey. He's also a studio engineer and records/mixes bands like Big Big Train and IQ. Pretty deluxe person to have on the road but fortunately he really likes SOC and makes the time. He was there doing sound for us at Night of the Prog and he'll be with us at Yestival as well as our Bring The Prog Back tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Pretty deluxe person to have on the road but fortunately he really likes SOC and makes the time.
    Totally. It's like you're touring with George Martin!

hey guys

Vicky from Esoteric Recordings here.

we were at Night of the Prog with Sanguine Hum. What an excellent day, and what a gorgeous venue. Guys if you dont know Night of the Prog, you are missing one helluva festival over in germany in the most beautiful ampitheatre setting on the banks of the Rhine.
    you were great guys, dont worry about the technical thing--no one out there would have known.! met up with Lucy on the flight home too. Weve emailed a lot of times but hadnt ever met in person-so that was a really nice bonus. Wow hadnt realised just how like his dad Simon is, both looks and vocally! but you seem a really nice and down to earth bunch of guys and you came over really well, I know Sanguine Hum were pretty nervous by opening the event, but its such a friendly festival.

But, the true test of your professionalism is how you react under those kinds of pressure situations and overcome it.
    Absolutely.

Having been on stage when things go wrong (I broke a guitar string in the middle of a song, which knocked the entire guitar out of tune, unbeknownst to me until I saw my keyboard-player's face), I greatly admire any musicians who take it in stride when they have technical issues.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was saying to Lucy-we have the issue for both the USA and for Europe--Marks case usually has spare bar plugs, extension leads and adapter sockets in it , as some festivals are really geared up to this situation and some are not-- you need different adapters by the way for Europe to the UK- the UK is on a different system.

What a great weekend THAT was

Yep, was lovely chatting to you as well Dave...although now I know to NEVER let you near my Bosendorfer (should I ever actually own one!). You guys sounded great...maybe us keyboard players were cursed, as my rented synth had "issues". But ultimately it didn't really mess anything up too badly. Other highlights were standing on the side of the stage with Opeth and the other Sound of Contact guys to watch SW's performance. And of course the mighty Magma! My girlfriend was even brave enough to ask Christian Vander for a cigarette lighter!

Matt.

We went to NotP fest a couple years ago and I can attest to how awesome the whole experience was. Loreley (or Lorelei) is absolutely beautiful and the amphitheater is the nicest I've ever seen. The festival is fantastic and they always manage to land a ton of great bands every year. Would have loved to see SoC play there. And SW! If you want a really fun adventure there, take the path down the cliff off the left side of the amphitheater to get to the road below. We took a shuttle up there and walked back to our hotel that way. Unlit trail, uneven, steep as hell, "people train" spotting each other to safely reach the bottom. Make sure you have a cell phone flashlight app!!!

But we're getting psyched for the 3 SoC shows coming up that we'll be at. At least at Orion I'll be able to see if Squids pedals are plugged in correctly!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post

But we're getting psyched for the 3 SoC shows coming up that we'll be at. At least at Orion I'll be able to see if Squids pedals are plugged in correctly!
    I will have color coating this time so there's no mistaking nothin'!
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    What a great weekend THAT was

Yep, was lovely chatting to you as well Dave...although now I know to NEVER let you near my Bosendorfer (should I ever actually own one!). You guys sounded great...maybe us keyboard players were cursed, as my rented synth had "issues". But ultimately it didn't really mess anything up too badly. Other highlights were standing on the side of the stage with Opeth and the other Sound of Contact guys to watch SW's performance. And of course the mighty Magma! My girlfriend was even brave enough to ask Christian Vander for a cigarette lighter!

Matt.
    Hey Matt. Yeah that's right! That was stellar. Funny about the Bose. (I broke a string on an Imperial Grand in a sample session with Alan Parsons... because I play MAD!!!!! Haha. No, it was the hardest double forte sample that sounded like a gun shot going off... scared the crap out of everyone!). Great chatting with you. Sanguine Hum were excellent. Looking forward to doing another show with you guys!

Jefferson James
    Saw SOC announced for RoSFest 2014 -- congratulations gents!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Wow. Awesome!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sweet!! I'll either be dead or there (the same applies to Progday).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sweet!! I'll either be dead or there (the same applies to Progday).
    Well then, make sure you exercise and eat well, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Thanks! Hope to see you guys here, there and everywhere!
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.

You're having a hell of a year, Dave.

Banned
    Geez, if you and I survive Progday

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    25 pages! Holy cow! Voted for you guys on PROG's site the other day - you and Marillion! Good luck...

Banned
    Thanks! Hope to see you guys here, there and everywhere! RoSFest is going to be fun. So is ProgDay. So is the Yestival too! Plus there are some other interesting events not announced yet. There's even yet another thing just in the discussion phase that could be EPIC! A combination of musicians on stage that I wouldn't have imagined... but can't say yet.
    Let me guess, Nick Divirgilio on drums and vocals, Steve Hackett guitar, Dave on keyboards, Mike Rutherford on bass, and Simon Collins on drums and vocals, for the 40th anniversary of the Lamb in 2014, doing the Lamb and Trick

Progasm.

Jefferson James
    2013 -- The Year of the Squids

Keep 'em coming, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Geez, if you and I survive Progday
    There you go making those damn accurate, salient comments again!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Have our tix to San Diego in our hot grubby paws. Looking forward!

Banned
    That WOULD be epic! I like where you're going with this. Sign me up! haha.

I do have something with NDV, Francis Dunnery, Martin Levac, Steve Rothery, myself and some other guys along with members of the London Philharmonic doing a film soundtrack tribute to The Lamb for the 40th Anniversary though already in the works. You can hear some work in progress snippets here: https://soundcloud.com/sonicelements...n-work-in-prog I might share a few other links.
    Thanks again. Francis does a great vocal job with the Lamb. I wonder if the Orion tickets in Baltimore are to be sold in advance. Is the Progday performance technically part of the Bring the Prog back tour?