Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No such thing as Prog Pop

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Whoooah, YES were massive in the UK!!!!
    DEFO??????!!!!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Shrug with a small "s" is not Shrug
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So what next: prog/mariachi? Prog/reggae?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yeah, but is it Shrug or Shrug...?

#controversy
    Definitely capitalised!

"Shrug" (music): A sub-genre of progressive rock, popular during the early 2020's, characterised by the musicians playing their instruments while affecting an attitude of lacking any enthusiasm. Thought to have evolved from the resurgence of interest in progressive rock during that period, combined with a reaction against the "shoegaze" movement.

LOL, if only it were as easy as "big S, small s". But as written by the originator, it's meant to be Shrug...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Shrug...
    Do the dots represent something yet to come? Only Ernie knows!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That would be "Shrug" or "shrug."
    The big S was stubborn and didn't want to be a little s.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

LOL, if only it were as easy as "big S, small s". But as written by the originator, it's meant to be Shrug...

Sorry, no spoilers.

Suspended

Oh yes:
    The three dots refer to the custom of Shrug... artists of naming their albums using a short phrase in which each word is followed by a full stop. Steven Wilson is seen as an early pioneer of the Shrug... genre,

well played
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Stuff like It Bites esp first album, 80's Yes and Genesis are Prog-Pop. It is a real thing, I've heard it with my ears and quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    To my mind these are mutually exclusive terms. It is either Prog or pop. Same goes for Prog/metal. To my ears Prog/metal is metal.
    O.k. have at it.

P.s. Don't even get me started about Prog/Hip Hop.
    Supper's Ready is basically a bunch of pop songs segued together. Of course the terms are not mutually exclusive.

Also, prog is a form of rock music, which is a form of pop music - in the general usage of the term at the time those '70s albums came out.

If my wife can stand it, then it falls into my "pop" category. However I may classify some of these as closer to prog than pop, like

- Kevin Gilbert
    - It Bites
    - Ambrosia's 1st album
    - Pink Floyd

and some others
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No, but then again the very premise of this shithole of a thread appears to be that someone doesn't seem to "get" much in the first place. Wonder whom it might be.
    A shithole that's already 5 pages deep. When it gets to my nose, I'll sell. Oh wait.....
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Shrug...
    Pretty good example! (though certainly not Kevin's proggiest pop tune)

Through the years I've read that Shrug is short for Shrugressive Rock. Shrug Rock has fans known as shruggers. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    A shithole that's already 5 pages deep. When it gets to my nose, I'll sell. Oh wait.....
    Yeah, I had to laugh at that. I was going to start a new thread that said "Asia is not Prog" , but I just didn't have the heart. (of the sunrise)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Through the years I've read that Shrug is short for Shrugressive Rock. Shrug Rock has fans known as shruggers.
    Was this genre in any way conceived by Shruggie?

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Don't even get me started about Prog/Hip Hop.
    What would you say about this?
    http://ontologics.bandcamp.com/album...to-needle-over

I can add that it's not unusual for a lot of contemporary bands to define their music both as prog and pop

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If my wife can stand it, then it falls into my "pop" category. However I may classify some of these as closer to prog than pop, like

- Kevin Gilbert
    - It Bites
    - Ambrosia's 1st album
    - Pink Floyd

and some others
    I know there are female prog fans but why do women seem to prefer the stuff that is more commercial or poppy sounding? Is this one of the unexplained mysteries of the universe?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

... don't go there, you will start an avelanche ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    What would you say about this?
    http://ontologics.bandcamp.com/album...to-needle-over

I can add that it's not unusual for a lot of contemporary bands to define their music both as prog and pop
    I'd call it genre blurring. I wouldn't call it "prog" per se, however it seems progressive in the sense that it is taking music to different places. Its not bad. Pretty interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I know there are female prog fans but why do women seem to prefer the stuff that is more commercial or poppy sounding? Is this one of the unexplained mysteries of the universe?
    My first wife HATED what she called the "sissy-stuff" (read: big five/six/eight...). She loved the radical, exciting stuff - and she was a sexual dynamo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    My first wife HATED what she called the "sissy-stuff" (read: big five/six/eight...). She loved the radical, exciting stuff - and she was a sexual dynamo.
    I think I only know of one or two women who prefer the more avant kind of prog. Good for them. I bet that most of them were already jazz fans. I suppose it has to do with what they are already listening to. If they are mostly familiar with pop their prog tastes will run towards proggy pop. Hey I guess I just answered my own question.

"Labels are invented by corporations in an effort to market product." - Igor Stravinski
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Labels are fun. People with small minds (such as myself) have an easier time wrapping their minds around information by using them.

When I was a kid in the 70's my friends and I (the cool ones, at least) listened to Yes, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant (all day, every day...um, still do) and we referred to it as "art rock." Was this a common thing or did we make that up?
    The Prog Corner