Thread: Quite Recent lengthily interview with John Abercrombie

Quite Recent lengthily interview with John Abercrombie

Advice at the end of the program to perspective students: "be true to yourself and what you know is true"

JA in the early 70s, after "having a lot of fun", "putting on the headband, playing loud, playing the fuzz box and the wah-wah on ever beat because it was so fun"---- realizing, in hindsight that many of the records he was playing on were awful, and that "he liked Wes Montgomery more than Eric Clapton". So he returned to studying Wes, Jim Hall, Barney, Tal, Jimmy Raney. The result of this study defined his music to this very day, he said. At the same time, through Ralph Towner and Dave Holland, he met Manfred Eicher. Who has apparently given him a recording gig for life.

There you go: he was successful, he was gigging, he was having a lot of fun. But he wasn't, apparently, true to himself.

Nice.

I will DEFINATELY have to check this out over the weekend when I have some time.

Thanks for posting.!!

Same here. I will definitely be checking this out when time allows. Just love Abercrombie's tone and playing.