Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Giles, Giles and Fripp : The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles and Frip

FEATURED CD - Giles, Giles and Fripp : The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles and Frip

Per Prog's official reviewer :
    Every self-respecting King Crimson fan needs a copy of this CD. No, it doesn't sound a bit Crimson-esque, but this is where it all began, folks. The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles and Fripp. This is the only record that trio put out before adding McDonald and Lake and forming King Crimson.

The style of this music is ... well, it's all over the place. There's plenty of late '60s psychedelic pop, there are a few tracks such as the very baroque "Suite No.1" that hint at what would become the sound that defined a genre. There are a few serious, moments, and there are whacky Python-esque vocal interludes that speak to the album's title. There are hints of Syd Barrett, there are moments that recall The Beach Boys, there are dozens of Beatles references, and there are times when it sounds more like insubstantial post-war music hall entertainment. It's a bit eclectic - so it's appropriate that it was Eclectic Discs who re-mastered this release and put it together with wonderful packaging, enhanced artwork and a batch of bonus tracks.

The first section has interludes of a silly, offbeat narrative about a boy named Rodney Toady:

Rodney was a sad young man because he was fat and ugly and no-one liked him.
    Children ran up to him in the street and pointed and shouted
    "Rodney is a sad young man because he's fat and ugly"
    And then they ran away laughing...

..and so it goes on, never going anywhere, never really being funny. And Giles, Giles and Fripp were trying to be funny. They were trying to be pop. They were trying to be the Moody Blues ("Thursday Morning," and "Under The Sky"). They were trying to be experimental ... in fact, it seems that they were trying to find themselves. That musical identity would finally settle on them two years later when they grew into Crimson, and launched In The Court Of The Crimson King - to which so many elements of modern progressive music owe their very existence.

This one's a collector's item.
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=2463

Regards,

Duncan

A nifty piece of whimsy with surprisingly good playing. I don't reach for it often, but am usually delighted when I do so.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I actually like the British silliness that fills this album...

Another one fairly similar in this style is Tea & Symphony 's second album Jo Sago.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A fun album. I think I enjoy the Brondesbury Tapes more, though.

Love it madly.Erudite Eyes is a forward looking masterpiece of a song.The rhythm section of Giles and Giles can't be beat....

..oh..and Fripp isn't too shabby, either,on guitar or mellotron.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Their take on the Small Faces' Odgens' Nut Gone Flake? Maybe. Fun, not essential.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Delightful. I especially love the "Elephant Song"...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Very gaye album. Always luved it, and I've got a crackly, hissy original of this.

File nest to Small Faces' Flake (as stated above), Tea & Symphony's Jo Sago (as stated above), Clouds' Scrapbook, some Bonzos and Principal Edward's or even the final Supersister record, Spiral Staircase.

Somewhat spoofin' the Moodies, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of my all time favorites!! I had the LP back in the day, not the original release day, more like the late 1970's day, and played the sh%t out of it. The Saga of Rodney Toady is a classic.

I foolishly gave the album to the love of my life, or so i thought she was, and have regretted it ever since.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I honestly must be missing something because I don't get this one at all (although I own it - rarely played).

Love this one. Really like the latest release (well... old now) with the extra goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Yup... this one. Erudite Eyes is my favorite

I'd been into Crimso for a year when I bought this, expecting it to be...well...pre-Crimso-ish...I didn't know what to make of it and for a long time only kept it in my collection as a novelty, rarely listening to it. I only really liked the Rodney Toady and Just George speeches and "How Do They Know". My opinion of it drastically changed when it was released on CD with the fantastic "Under the Sky" as a bonus track. Not sure why, but on CD format I started spinning it much more frequently and was able to take it in as a complete work and have grown to love it
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

This album is sort of analogous to From Genesis to Revelation, but with better musicianship and a more grown up sense of subversion. There's a surprising amount of ear worms throughout, plus you get Fripp the comedian and even bits of material that would later turn up in King Crimson. Who could ask for more?

But I'll add my recommendation for The Brondesbury Tapes. It's the bridge between this and KC Mark I. Plus it has Judy Dyble (*snarf!*)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I enjoy this one more than In the Court of the Crimson King. Seriously! Not many people can agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I enjoy this one more than In the Court of the Crimson King. Seriously! Not many people can agree with that.
    Regretfully, you will now have to leave PE for good, Dan. Please go willingly. Don't make a racket. We'll meet up at the Adult Contempo-Country Ears in the Shania Twain-thread.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I honestly must be missing something because I don't get this one at all (although I own it - rarely played).
    Me exactly.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

One of the best sounding albums of the late 60's
    Recording is very impressive

Good but not great. Don't reach for this one too often.
    The Prog Corner

Looks like Bill Price, who engineered this album, also produced Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I do think one of the big weaknesses of Court is the complete lack of the whimsy that dominates this album.

oooh.. I actually wrote about this one

http://critterjams.wordpress.com/201...nd-fripp-1968/
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I probably need to pick this up
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3
    Sums it up for me. The Tapes are brilliant, the "Insanity" is, well, nice.

It's probably the only "cheerful" thing Fripp was ever involved in. Anyway, it's kinda quirky but sounds dated to me.