Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Collins blames Page & Plant for Led Zep disaster !

^Dire Straits famously had a series of concerts in Wembley Arena during the exact period they did Live Aid in Wembley Stadium.

One of the classic Heath Robinson-esque moments of TV history involved a bungled attempt at having Phil Collins on Concorde en route to Philadelphia, trying to speak to Britain via the TV crew at Wembley...well worth a look!
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-11-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Dire Straits famously had a series of concerts in Wembley Arena during the exact period they did Live Aid in Wembley Stadium.
    That's right. I think Mark Knopfler said everyone else had to fly from all corners of the globe to perform at Live Aid. He only had to walk across the street!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    One of the classic Heath Robinson-esque moments of TV history involved a bungled attempt at having Phil Collins on Concorde en route to Philadelphia, trying to speak to the TV crew at Wembley...well worth a look!
    Yeah, there were lots of weird stuff that happened. There's the bit where they were meant to be showing a Russian band called Autograf performing. For the first half of their song, though, the video footage was something completely different, showing a documentary or news report about cherry pickers, I think it was. I think the guy from the BBC said it was from Bulgaria or someplace like that, and he never found out if the people seen in that bit of video were ever aware of their "contribution" to Live Aid. Anyway, after about a minute or two, the footage suddenly cut to what they were supposed to be showing.

I forget which BBC personality it was, but he was supposed to introduce Phil Collins and Sting. Apparently, his notes said Sting was to perform first, so he introduces Sting, then runs back out and says "But first, Phil Collins!" or something like that. I think he said on the 10th anniversary thing that was still the most embarrassing moment of his professional career.

I also remember on the radio broadcast, before Dire Straits set, Sting was onstage, and some knob says something like "I wonder what song he's going to do with them", as if he was seriously clueless that there was one slightly obvious possibility, given that Sting sang on the studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Page didn't actually work on Death Wish 3. They just re-used the cues he wrote for Death Wish 2. I remember around the time Death Wish 2 came out, there was a two page ad for the Roland guitar synth line, which had comments from Fripp, Andy Summers, Skunk Baxter, Leon Gaer (apparently a studio bassist who was heavily into bass synths, even before Roland introduced the GR-33), and Page. Page commented that he was using two GR-300's together on the Death Wish soundtrack, and the photo in the ad showed him in a room full of Roland equipment.
    Well, maybe he was preparing to see the movie before the show and this anticipation clouded other priorities
    If seriously, I didn't know that he did not work on the film and that they only reused the cues. I think that there (in Death Wish 3) were pieces that were not in Death Wish 2 but of course it's entirely possible that those were the unused ones from 2. I think that on the second one Page's music was used more effectively, it also had a denser sound.
    Recently saw part 3 and did not like it as much as I used to. The soundtrack is good, but the film is so loosely directed.