Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling

Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling

After twenty five years of trying (and wanting) to like this album, it suddenly clicked with me a couple of weeks ago. I've said it many times over the years - including on PE - that I just couldn't get into it apart from the instrumentals... but for some reason I recently gave it one more chance and I really liked it, and have been listening quite a bit lately! Strange how that can happen... Anyway, although I'm still not fond of some of "Lucky Me" or the title track, the rest of the album is great, and pure Banks. "For A While" is a real favourite now... "After The Lie" a close second. And I always have loved "The Waters Of Lethe"...

No rhyme or reason to it, but I'm glad it happened for me finally!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Same thing sorta happened for me recently. I've always liked parts of this album, but other parts bored me to tears. But for some reason while listening to it recently I found myself enjoying pretty much all of it. A big part of it comes down to how much I really enjoy Kim Beacon's vocals. What a talent.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yeah, it didn't grab me on early listens, then it did. For several years I've considered it the equal of the Genesis albums of that period. Never understood why Kim Beacon's voice is so divisive- 'Somebody Else's Dream' has an extraordinary vocal performance IMHO. That track is the highlight of the album for me, with those doomy chord progressions- the instrumental finish is superb.

Last few times I've played it, 'In The Dark' I've found particularly affecting. One thing I think has hobbled subsequent releases of his in comparison to this one is using so many vocalists...some of which are kind of non-descript.

Suspended
    I've always loved this album. I am tempted to say it's his best; the only reason I would hesitate is I think the production could have been better. This is particularly noticeable on the transition from "From the Undertow" to "Lucky Me"; if I listen to the former at a comfortable volume, the latter comes in sounding distant and almost muffled, and I feel the need to turn up the volume. Composition-wise, it's the Banks album that sounds most like early Genesis.

For me the standout track is "Somebody Else's Dream" which has one of the scariest and most disturbing sets of lyrics I've heard in any song. Every Banks album seems to have one song that's long, complex and ambitious - Still has "Another Murder of a Day", Strictly Inc has "An Island in the Darkness", but I think this one beats both of them.

Of course you appreciate this album more when you know the story on which it is based - which I did, having read it many years ago.

I'll have to dig the vinyl out of the attic this weekend & give it a spin. I picked it up when first released & listened to it several times. It was unmemorable. But maybe with age...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've always loved this album. I am tempted to say it's his best; the only reason I would hesitate is I think the production could have been better. This is particularly noticeable on the transition from "From the Undertow" to "Lucky Me"; if I listen to the former at a comfortable volume, the latter comes in sounding distant and almost muffled, and I feel the need to turn up the volume. Composition-wise, it's the Banks album that sounds most like early Genesis.

For me the standout track is "Somebody Else's Dream" which has one of the scariest and most disturbing sets of lyrics I've heard in any song. Every Banks album seems to have one song that's long, complex and ambitious - Still has "Another Murder of a Day", Strictly Inc has "An Island in the Darkness", but I think this one beats both of them.

Of course you appreciate this album more when you know the story on which it is based - which I did, having read it many years ago.
    Have you heard the remastered/remixed version that came out a few years ago? It's a MASSIVE sonic improvement! Apparently, when the original was being mixed, someone inadvertently left the faders pulled all the way down on the room mic's for Chester Thompson's drum kit, which explains the curiously limp drum sound. That's all been rectified, and it's quite vibrant now.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Have you heard the remastered/remixed version that came out a few years ago? It's a MASSIVE sonic improvement! Apparently, when the original was being mixed, someone inadvertently left the faders pulled all the way down on the room mic's for Chester Thompson's drum kit, which explains the curiously limp drum sound. That's all been rectified, and it's quite vibrant now.
    Thanks, I was unaware that it had been remastered. It's one of the few albums where I think a remaster and reissue is worthwhile. I'll have to seek it out.

There was also a DVD-A with that remaster containing a 5.1 surround mix. I guess that version was limited, but maybe Esoteric still has it.

I loved the LP right away. That dark mood perfectly fitted my own state of mind at that moment.

I've always liked this one since it came out, some great songs - aside from the title cut which is just too darn cheerful
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    There was also a DVD-A with that remaster containing a 5.1 surround mix. I guess that version was limited, but maybe Esoteric still has it.

I loved the LP right away. That dark mood perfectly fitted my own state of mind at that moment.
    I know it sold out and is pretty rare but can probably be found for a price. Digibook and all, so it's pretty nice.

Nope.
    It's shit

Great album bar the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Nope.
    It's shit
    ! Have you given it multiple listens? I hadn't heard it till the Esoteric release, and I really took to it. Some excellent Banks chord progressions on there.

I'm glad he didn't go with his original working title, "A Curious Burning Sensation".

^ LOL

Don't get the dislike of the title track. It's a "happy" song because the protagonist is from mental disability to high intelligence. He's psyched and amazed.

I like the album and like The Fugitive---but only listen to them occassionally.

Loved this album from the first listen.. always reminded me of W&W..

It grew on me as well. I love all the instrumental sections, 'After The Lie' is just glorious, my favorite vocal track, but the instrumental section is the highlight. My other favorites are the three instrumentals, and 'You', for the instrumental section. I think there may come a time when 'Six' grows on a lot of people as well, its amazing to my ears, very subtle.

One of the better solo efforts from any of progs biggies alumni IMO

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Very good album! Although, possibly one has to be in the mood for it. I haven't put it on for a while but maybe today. BTW, "For a While" is one of my favourite tracks from it. I just like the flow of chords in it and nice change from minor to major, that kind of thing. I like Tony's lead guitar line there too.

Suspended
    Do you people have other Tony Banks albums, and if so how do you rate them?

I have Still and Strictly Inc, and I love them both, though sometimes in my mind I confuse them - I find myself thinking of a song and can;t recall which of those two albums it's from. That never happens with A Curious Feeling, it has its own very distinctive sound. Partly of course that's because of kim Beacon's vocals, but also because the album has a theme that holds it together, more so than his other albums.

I have 'Still'. It's as you say- inconsistent, too many vocalists.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have 'Still'. It's as you say- inconsistent, too many vocalists.
    I'd agree with that. It's a bit like a Tony banks "party" album with all the different singers! I like some tracks more than others on it, and it drives me nuts that he sequenced the piano solo for "Still it Takes me by Surprise" instead of playing it for real/using a real acoustic piano would have helped too, but it's got some great stuff. "Water out of Wine" is probably my favourite track from it.

I don't have Strictly Inc. but from what I've heard from it it's one of his best solo efforts? One of these days I'll finally get it.

I'd probably rate his solo albums something like this:

1. Six
    2. A Curious Feeling
    3. Still - even with all the different singers and moods I really like most of it.
    4. The Wicked Lady - prefer the keyboard instrumental half.
    5. Strictly Inc (absolutely love 'Island...', half the album though is just so-so to me
    6. Seven - interesting, but not nearly the subtle depth of 'Six'.
    7. The Fugitive - nothing blows me away, but its all pretty consistently good. 'Thirty Threes' and 'Moving Under' are my favorites
    8. Soundtracks
    9. Bankstatement - don't dislike this album, but I do agree with Tony when he said it was his weakest album. I do prefer it to Mike & The Mechanics and Phil solo though.

Suspended
    ^^ I think I need to check out "Six". I have "Seven", and it's good, but I wish it had more light and shade. A couple of darker angrier pieces would not have gone astray.

I agree re Bankstatement. I've given this album a couple of chances and found none of the songs grab me - odd, because I think he took much the same apprach with Still, but that's a much better album.