Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS: 20 Insanely Great Genesis Songs Only Hardcore Fans Know

RS: 20 Insanely Great Genesis Songs Only Hardcore Fans Know

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-know-20141010

Not a bad list, though I would have included "Uncertain Weather" over "Dividing Line" as the token contribution from CAS.

Not a bad list, but one that really should have been confined to non-album tracks, in which case the outstanding 76-82 disc from the 5.1 box set would suffice.

At the risk of being banned from this forum, I would honestly have put Pigeons and Paperlate on the list, I adore both of these songs. I can understand Pigeons being shelved from W&W, but why Paperlate was ditched over Like It Or Not, Another Record or that fucking musical abortion Who Dunnit, I'll never know.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Paperlate was a hit single from Three Sides Live, so it's known by more than "Hardcore Fans".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Paperlate was a hit single from Three Sides Live, so it's known by more than "Hardcore Fans".
    Doah, you're right. It wasn't on the UK version, which is the incarnation I am most familiar with. We had 4 sides live basically.

I really like the sequence of the 1970 BBC session that is featured in the archive box CD 4 - Shepherd, Pacidy, Let us now make love- the meeting point between the first album naivete and the mature songwriting that came afterwards.

I don't have any problem with the list. I do have a problem with this line:

The band's early work ... is the Holy Grail of progressive rock .... exemplified by sprawling masterpieces like the 1974 double-LP (etc etc)
    Does the person writing this article know what the Holy Grail (as a metaphor) is?

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    why Paperlate was ditched over Like It Or Not, Another Record or that fucking musical abortion Who Dunnit, I'll never know.
    I always assumed they didn't want 2 songs with horns on the album. Using horns on No Reply was pretty unusual for the band, but pulling that trick twice on the same album would have ruined the effect.
    Plus there was also the possible accusations that Phil was taking control over the band, because he was the one who started using horns on his first solo album.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I noted the oddity of the "Holy Grail" line as well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is the studio version of Twilight Alehouse on CD? I forget . On the Genesis Archive release?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Forget this! "10 Country Artists You Need To Know!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is the studio version of Twilight Alehouse on CD? I forget . On the Genesis Archive release?
    It's on Archive 1 as a remix, although not listed as such. The original 7" mix was never released on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    It's on Archive 1 as a remix, although not listed as such. The original 7" mix was never released on CD.
    I have this song on a bootleg called "as though emerald city", is this the original 7"?
    I also remember it is missing a guitar track when compared to the archives- though its been years since I played it...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have this song on a bootleg called "as though emerald city", is this the original 7"?
    I also remember it is missing a guitar track when compared to the archives- though its been years since I played it...
    I don't know this boot but if the track is missing the lead guitar line in the intro, it's the original 7 " mix.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Not a bad list, but one that really should have been confined to non-album tracks, in which case the outstanding 76-82 disc from the 5.1 box set would suffice.

At the risk of being banned from this forum, I would honestly have put Pigeons and Paperlate on the list, I adore both of these songs. I can understand Pigeons being shelved from W&W, but why Paperlate was ditched over Like It Or Not, Another Record or that fucking musical abortion Who Dunnit, I'll never know.
    I certainly don't think much of 'Paperlate'. 'Naminanu' and You Might Recall are fantastic though, (I personally love the proggier 'Me and Virgil', but was very surprised to see that many here don't agree with me).

I was rather impressed by that list actually. Most of those are certainly unknown outside of hardcore fans. Maybe not "Keep It Dark"?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Suspended
    An interesting selection, though I wouldn't have said Fountain of Salmacis was "unkknown outside hardcore fanbase". With the possible exception of Hogweed, I'd say it's the most recognisable track from Nursey Cryme. The swirling synthesiser opening seems to have attracted enough attention for it to have been sampled in a club/disco song (don't ask me the song name or the artist).

From the first album, I would have selected "In Hiding", which I consider just a great pop song.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The swirling synthesiser opening
    I think it's organ & mellotron.

Suspended
    Quite probably. Anyway, it's so distinctive that I expect a lot of people would recognise it, even if they couldn't identify the track.

Doesn't Collins drum during the instrumental section of 'Cinema Show' on Seconds Out?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Doesn't Collins drum during the instrumental section of 'Cinema Show' on Seconds Out?
    This list gets a lot right. But I'd say "You Might Recall" is strong evidence that we live in a parallel universe where that wasn't released...

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Yes, he does. What about it?

It's definitely not synth, because Tony didn't start playing synth until Selling England By The Pound. I think that is indeed an organ playing the arpeggios, but it's pulled so far back in the mix it's hard to tell. My initial thought was that it sounded like electric guitar, which means that it could be a Hohner Pianet played through a fuzztone, which was something Tony did a lot during that era. I think that was a hang over from when they tried to go as a quartet after Ant left, during which time Tony filled in a lot of the gaps where they would have otherwise been guitar solos.

As far as this holy grail business, I don't think it's any worse than people who use penultimate as if it were a synonym for ultimate. But then, most people use the word ultimate incorrectly anyway.

'Am I Very Wrong'...one of the highlights on the debut but I'm not keen on the chorus. The songs on there I find good enough to have been on later releases are 'In The Beginning', 'In The Wilderness' and 'The Conqueror'.

'Paperlate'...not crazy about that track at all. 'You Might Recall' on the other hand, is a gem and better than most of 'Abacab' by a long way.

'Keep It Dark'...a track I've always thought was one of their best singles but I agree it is overlooked now- it wasn't one of their biggest hits. I like that sort of art-pop sound that we see on songs like that, 'Abacab', 'Mama', more than the later Adult Contemporary ballads. The B-side 'Naminanu' which was mentioned, is a venture into jazz-rock with some terrific drumming from Phil, but I'm not sure it or 'Submarine' are substantial enough to have made it onto the album. (Then again, 'Who Dunnit' did!)

'The Dividing Line'...one of a handful of strong tracks on that album. Not sure about the instrumental section though, the bit with the drums always feels unfinished to me, like there should be a lead solo on top of at least some of it. I think the whole album suffers from a sort of 'that'll do' syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The B-side 'Naminanu' which was mentioned, is a venture into jazz-rock with some terrific drumming from Phil, but I'm not sure it or 'Submarine' are substantial enough to have made it onto the album. (Then again, 'Who Dunnit' did!)
    Not just Who Dunnit, but those two terrible songs that end side two, Another Record and whatever the other one was called, I forget. I can't believe those two piles of dren were considered acceptable but Submarine and Naminanu weren't.

The thing about Who Dunnit is, the actual track, the backing track minus the vocals and lyrics, I still think is pretty good. The problem is the terrible lyrics (eg "Was it A or was it be/Or was it X or Z"), and that bit where Phil is shrieking "WE DON'T KNOW! WE DON'T KNOW! WE DON'T KNOW!" through the Harmonizer. Edit that bit out, write some better lyrics, and I think it would be regarded much better than it is.

Getting back to Submarine and Naminanu, I wonder if they had decided to keep them on the album, if they wouldn't have gone through further states of evolution, so that maybe the arrangement gets tweaked, or more bits are added to make them more substantial, etc. I seem to recall reading once that originally Turn It On Again was this like minute and a half doodle during the time when the Duke suite was going to occupy an entire LP side by itself. It only became a full blown single contender after they broke the suite up and spread the songs throughout the album. Maybe something could have happened with Naminanu and/or Submarine. I certainly would have preferred to have the full Naminanu/Dodo/The Lurker/Submarine suite over some of the stuff they stuck on side two of that album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Am I Very Wrong'...one of the highlights on the debut but I'm not keen on the chorus.
    Fully agreed. There's a lovely atmosphere to the verses, but an awkward, clunky chorus with an unusually high-in-the-mix Rutherford vocal. There are a few other tracks from that period that I might have used had I made this list. "Build Me A Mountain", "The Shepherd" and "One-Eyed Hound", for example.

As for "The Fountain Of Salmacis" intro, it was definitely organ and mellotron, dating back of course to the time when it was a part of the track they called "Provocation" (which also included parts of "Looking For Someone"). What I like about that bit though, is the rest of the band's small contributions that help to bring it to a climax each time it's played in the song. Certainly one of their most powerful numbers from the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Getting back to Submarine and Naminanu, I wonder if they had decided to keep them on the album, if they wouldn't have gone through further states of evolution, so that maybe the arrangement gets tweaked, or more bits are added to make them more substantial, etc. I seem to recall reading once that originally Turn It On Again was this like minute and a half doodle during the time when the Duke suite was going to occupy an entire LP side by itself. It only became a full blown single contender after they broke the suite up and spread the songs throughout the album. Maybe something could have happened with Naminanu and/or Submarine. I certainly would have preferred to have the full Naminanu/Dodo/The Lurker/Submarine suite over some of the stuff they stuck on side two of that album.
    I doubt the tracks would have changed. The songs were all recorded before the decision was made to keep it a single album. But I'm with you....as a "Submarine" lover, I'd really like it if the album had that running order (although I do like "Like It Or Not" and "Another Record"). I made my own version of Abacab based on what was said to be the originally intended running order, including that suite, and it works beautifully. Particularly if you leave barely any room between the end of "Naminanu" and the beginning of "Dodo". One of those powerful moments like "Entangled" going into "Squonk".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***