Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven Wilson at AIR Studios, New Video

Sad he's dropping the jazz element on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of his, with all that synthy smooth jazz crud being shoved down our throats in the 80s and 90s
    Miles was hardly smooth-jazz or crud, though, even in the 80s and 90s (Doo-Bop obviously excepted and that wasn't entirely his fault). Yeah, he lost some mojo after retiring, but he and his bands never just went through the motions. They were still doing interesting things and playing to high standards, even if the choices of instruments and sounds generally ended up being dated much faster than what was used in the 70s (which again wasn't their fault).

All of which is just to say that Adam's done some kickass work all along, even in a milieu that's easy to dismiss (not entirely falsely) as period schlock with a couple decades' hindsight.

I hadn't realized Theo Travis was no longer on board, though. That's gonna suck... but if a move toward simpler songs is a move away from Grace and Raven, that'll only be a good thing in my book.

Can't wait. His last two have been #1 albums of the year for me.

Porcupine who?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Glad he's dropping the jazz element on this one!
    No doubt, based on your wonderfully informative quote regarding jazz drummers

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Miles was hardly smooth-jazz or crud, though, even in the 80s and 90s (Doo-Bop obviously excepted and that wasn't entirely his fault). Yeah, he lost some mojo after retiring, but he and his bands never just went through the motions. They were still doing interesting things and playing to high standards, even if the choices of instruments and sounds generally ended up being dated much faster than what was used in the 70s (which again wasn't their fault).

All of which is just to say that Adam's done some kickass work all along, even in a milieu that's easy to dismiss (not entirely falsely) as period schlock with a couple decades' hindsight.

I hadn't realized Theo Travis was no longer on board, though. That's gonna suck... but if a move toward simpler songs is a move away from Grace and Raven, that'll only be a good thing in my book.
    I never said Miles did crud. But Holzman has been involved with lots of crud along the way. Please point me to some of his "kickass" work. I've been listening to mostly jazz for the last 25 years, and I've heard none of it.

No doubt, based on your wonderfully informative quote regarding jazz drummers
    Yeah, they do all sound the same. No ability to adapt other styles.

This sounds like it might be more PT sounding now he's ditching the jazz crap!

You couldn't be more wrong. True today more than ever, most jazz drummers could play rock in their sleep and could smoke many of the fools who pass for drummers today. As far as saying they can't adapt to other styles, I'll leave you to your own ill-informed devices. However, when you consider that jazz is an amalgamation of many styles to begin with, your statement is more nonsense than anything else.

This is true, Ruf.

You couldn't be more wrong. True today more than ever, most jazz drummers could play rock in their sleep and could smoke many of the fools who pass for drummers today. As far as saying they can't adapt to other styles, I'll leave you to your own ill-informed devices. However, when you consider that jazz is an amalgamation of many styles to begin with, your statement is more nonsense than anything else.
    +1

Holzman has been involved with lots of crud along the way. Please point me to some of his "kickass" work. I've been listening to mostly jazz for the last 25 years, and I've heard none of it.
    I suppose much of it probably has been crud, but I've always been impressed with his part on Miles's Tutu and Live Around the World. I also believe he's done some good stuff alongside Lenny White and Marcus Miller, and Michael Petrucciani's Playground isn't half bad.

Maybe "kickass" was too strong a word, but there are things (like post-retirement Miles) I often feel like defending since they've never really gotten their due.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    My understanding is that Theo will feature on the album, but his contribution will be much smaller than before.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Very characteristic sound for him, but still sounds totally different from what came before. Just like the old prog from the 70's did it. Somehow you were always able to identify the band/artist, but every album was a pleasant surprise.

Auto-buy, as usual.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Three observations:

1. The riffing at the beginning sounds like it's very influenced by Rush's "Xanadu" about 3:30 or so.
    2. I can't help feeling that even though musically it's quite different, the change in approach with less epic-like
    prog, leaning towards a bit more pop/prog etc, kind of mirrors the way Rush changed after Hemispheres and into
    Permanent Waves.

and
    3. Man, I like what I hear!!!!!!!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    All this pop talk is disappointing. But I liked the beginning stuff a fair bit.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Porcupine who?
    As much as I hate to admit it, yep...Porcupine who is right on.

Call me a fanboy, I really don't care. This guy has done no wrong to my ears. I like no-man as much as any of his projects but the solo stuff is gaining ground fast. Can't wait for the super-deluxe-20.1-wi/fi-hi/fi-35 disc edition.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    All this pop talk is disappointing. But I liked the beginning stuff a fair bit.
    Pop has always been present in his music, even on Grace and Raven. I don't think he will ever lose that aspect, its in his DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Pop has always been present in his music, even on Grace and Raven. I don't think he will ever lose that aspect, its in his DNA.
    True...but in the majority of his work it's usually just a back note or used in an interlude/sparingly manner IMO. Also, for me it's usually his weakest material and unsurprisingly that middle section where he is talking of the pop tunes is quite unspectacular.

But I certainly won't judge the album based on this 3ish minutes of various clips.

He works in a pop format regardless...it's not like he's writing through-composed material...sections repeat, refrain, iABABCDABAo etc...he's not a Zappa or a Zorn here...

Theres obviously more to it then that.

But I knew I'd be in the minority so that's all I'll say about it until I hear the album (or at least a song) in full.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Never met the guy, but not sure where this ego thing is coming from? Seems like a super cool dude in all of the interviews I've ever seen with him, and pretty bright and informed musically.
    We communicate semi-regularly in addition to the interview I did in 2012, and Steven has always been totally down-to-earth, very, very nice...self-effacing, even. Don't mistake confidence - which he has, in buckets - for ego. I have never once gotten the feeling of a big ego...and, in fact, he's been more generous in many ways than many with whom i've dealt.

As for Anil? He was clearly making great use of his time in England where he caught four Kate Bush shows....coming back just in time for Crimson at the

As for the female voice? There was a choir in there, so perhaps she is one of the member of the choir, getting a solo spot.
    Best,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    My understanding is that Theo will feature on the album, but his contribution will be much smaller than before.
    That'so pretty much exactly what Steven said in the clip...and since the tour will, of course, feature plenty of material from his earlier solo records, those who miss him on the new record will has plenty of chances to get their Theo fix in concert.

my blu-ray of Raven came today and man is this fabulous. how or why did I overlook raven???

this new album is a instant-pre-order-auto-buy!

For about the last 6-8 years, every time I hear that SW is about to release another album I get this crazy feeling down my spine. It's like my body is saying "can't wait, can't wait". Then I usually go back and begin listening to all his recordings that I already own, from early to latest and just enjoy the progression.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.