Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 87 Led Zeppelin songs ranked from 'worst' to 'first'

Well quite simply a blimp (or pressure airship to give it its correct technical name) has no internal structural framework to maintain the shape of the ship nor does it have a keel, it is simply a non-rigid airship filled with the lifting gas, helium, and it is the internal overpressure of the gas inside the "balloon" and the strength of the balloon material that jointly maintain the airship shape.

A blimp is what moored balloons are also called, sometimes for barrage(obstruction) sometimes for para training i.e. for jump training. A para's first real jump with a static line chute & without a wire is usually from a blimp moored at between 800 and1000ft.

(The word dirigible by the way simply means airship and has nothing to do with the word "rigid", it comes from the French word diriger, which means to direct, to steer. A dirigible is any gas filled airship that has both a motor and can be steered, therefore hot air balloons are not dirigibles)

A rigid airship (Zeppelin) does have an internal framework around the individual gas cells and so it is this framework & not the overpressure of the gas inside that mainstains the shape of a rigid airship.
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-05-2014 at 04:09 PM.

I actually enjoyed reading that list, not so much for the rankings themselves, but for his commentary/rationale. I found some of that illuminating, or at least entertaining, and at least he put up some reasons for his rankings. One of the better lists of this sort I've seen in a long time.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I actually enjoyed reading that list, not so much for the rankings themselves, but for his commentary/rationale. I found some of that illuminating, or at least entertaining, and at least he put up some reasons for his rankings. One of the better lists of this sort I've seen in a long time.
    That's what I thought too. I disagreed with much of the rankings but I enjoyed reading it all the same.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    My experience with Led Zeppelin's music is so visceral and mood driven, analytically quantifying their songs seems absurd.
    zactly... it depends on my mood

Lists is stoopid

Suspended
    It's really going to come down to what kind of Zeppelin listener you are. I prefer the more melodic Zep, though I like some of the heavy stuff too. I probably would have said No.1 should have been Kashmir, Stairway to Heaven, or No Quarter. I also would have placed Friends and Tangerine much higher in the ranking. And I think Fool in the Rain is one of the worst things they ever did; it just goes on and on like a needle stuck in a groove.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 10-05-2014 at 02:46 PM.

I like Fool In The Rain. It's not the Zep I prefer but it's just a fun song.

No one has addressed this yet, only 87 songs from 1969 to 1982? For a comparison from 1969 to 1982 Neil Young released 138 of his own unique compositions. If you subtract the covers, reworkings and trad folks songs from Zep's output it brings the total down to about 82.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If you subtract the covers, reworkings and trad folks songs from Zep's output it brings the total down to about 82.
    More like 72. And I think that's being fairly objective.

You'd have to scratch almost the entire first album, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No one has addressed this yet, only 87 songs from 1969 to 1982? For a comparison from 1969 to 1982 Neil Young released 138 of his own unique compositions. If you subtract the covers, reworkings and trad folks songs from Zep's output it brings the total down to about 82.
    I think that reflects the different styles of a solo performer and a band where writing was a collaborative effort; plus Young was just ridiculously prolific.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    plus Young was just ridiculously prolific.
    Yea, there is that. The man was a bloody dynamo, still is!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    More like 72. And I think that's being fairly objective.

You'd have to scratch almost the entire first album, for example.
    You're probably right, I was being generous towards them.

What, no love for "The Crunge"?!?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I love The Crunge. I'm clearly a minority on that one.

I'm with ya Trurl, I dig The Crunge too. I'm not allergic to it like most seem to be.

I like Dancing Days too. The only song on that album I just cannot deal with is D'Yer Maker.

Why did they include LA Drone on that list? Oh well.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.