Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bands that played at your High School or College(while you were there)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Truthfully, I cannot remember when it was, Calabasas. But my sister remains friends with Doug's sister, Beth (who works in the LA area) so I will see if I can find out. I recall the period was fairly short (maybe 6 mos). BTW, Doug's brother Geoffrey is a prominent defense attorney (he represented Jack Kevorkian for a time) and ran for governor of the state of MI some years ago. We all grew up 8 houses apart.
    I wonder if it might have been around the summer of '75? Le Orme were in L.A. recording Smogmagica, and there was a rumor going around that Aldo Tagliapietra, Jurgen Fritz and Syd Barrett were all sharing a house in the San Fernando Valley. No one could ever substantiate this, but who knows?

Medina HS, '74
    Michael Stanley Band
    Rainbow Canyon

Ohio University

J Geils Band 78
    Doobie Bros with Thin Lizzy 78

Westlake High School 1981: Oingo Boingo
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Do seeing bands at schools you didn't go to count? I know the answer is "no" but anyway,

Maynard Ferguson played at my Jr. High of all places in Nashua NH in around 1977. It was my first real concert and I could not believe how loud it was. Trumpet players with amplifiers can be damaging.

Rush - October 6, 1984 University of Dayton Arena Dayton, Ohio - One of the better Rush concerts I have been to out of about 30 because the place was smaller than most places I have seen them.

R.E.M. - 21 August 1985 - Walter Brown Arena, Boston University, Boston, MA - Memorable as one of the worst sounding concerts ever. I remember my friends and I looking at each other all throughout the concert asking "WTF song is this?". It was tough to tell...

Also saw Foreigner at the Southern Illinois Univ. at some point, I think in 1985. A good show and in a small-ish venue.

High School:

Jeff Beck Group
    B,S,&T
    Rare Earth
    Duke Ellington

College:

Yes
    PF
    Genesis
    Miles Davis
    MO
    Ramatam
    J. Geils
    Van Morrison
    Poco
    FZ
    ISB
    Orchesta Fantastique, a sick hard salsa band
    Flying Burrito Brothers
    Grateful Dead
    Cat Stevens
    Delaney & Bonnie & Friends
    Poco
    James Taylor
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

at the high schools 67-73 in Ontario
    Fludd
    Leigh Ashford
    Mainline
    Amish
    Stampeders

at uni 73-75
    Nazareth
    Rush
    Michael Quatro
    Gentle Giant
    Bachman Turner Overdrive
    Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers

The Good Rats - Northport High School, Northport, NY 1978. The student council tried to get Twisted Sister, but the school board nixed that for, well the name alone.

Quote Originally Posted by progaor View Post
    The Good Rats - Northport High School, Northport, NY 1978. The student council tried to get Twisted Sister, but the school board nixed that for, well the name alone.
    for the best, good rats were the better band.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Title is pretty self explanatory - name any bands/musical artists who performed at your high school or college while you were attending. Doesn't matter if you saw them yourself or not. Try to keep it to artists who at least released an album and shows that were on campus and not merely at a public venue that was nearby.

Glendora High School(65-68)
    The Turtles
    October Country
    Steppenwolf
    Santana
    Moby Grape
    Peanut Butter Conspiracy

Citrus College(69-71)
    Sweet Pain
    Cheech N Chong

I was actually there at the concert with Moby Grape and Steppenwolf, but it wasn't at Glendora High, it was at Citrus College. The opening act was a band called "General Store". Moby Grape was 2nd up, and Steppenwolf anchored the show. I graduated from Glendora High, class of '70. I was a budding rock musician at the time, and the brother of a friend of mine was friends with Gerald McCrohan, AKA Jerry Edmonton, who was the drummer for Steppenwolf at the time. I was star-struck because McCrohan came to one of our band practices once.

PBC did play at Glendora High School in 1967. General Store has eventually faded into obscurity. But Moby Grape and Steppenwolf were right at the height of their powers. To this day, that was one of the very best concerts I've ever been to, and I've seen some impressive lineups. It didn't hurt that the stage was only about a foot or two above the grass, and I was standing not more than 3-4 feet away from the dead-center front of the stage. It was awesome.

I vaguely remember having been to the Turtles concert at Glendora, but I don't really remember much in the way of details.......although I did see them later at some place like the Pasadena or Santa Monica Civic.

Although I never saw them at school, my wife and younger brothers grew up with Mammoth (AKA "Van Halen") playing during lunch breaks at their respective SoCal high schools. Here is a picture of them (below), playing at La Cañada High in 1975......my wife was at that concert (she was La Cañada class of '76).....which was in the 1976 year book:

McMaster University 71-75

Blood Sweat and Tears
    King Crimson
    Ike and Tina Turner
    Rush
    Brave Belt (with Randy Bachman)

that's all I can remember....

After school, but while I was still college age in the Navy. Kansas played at the base where my ship was parked, on the Power tour.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Robert Fripp
    Iggy Pop with Alice In Chains
    Both during undergrad studies

Memory may be faulty, but I'm pretty sure I saw these at Walsh Gym at Seton Hall Univ. 1974-78:

J Garcia
    Springsteen
    P Simon
    Linda Ronstadt/Jackson Browne
    Harry Chapin
    NRPS
    Peter Frampton
    Chuck Berry
    Kenny Loggins/Dave Mason
    Southside Johnny
    Ramones

Quote Originally Posted by whamprod View Post
    I was actually there at the concert with Moby Grape and Steppenwolf, but it wasn't at Glendora High, it was at Citrus College. The opening act was a band called "General Store". Moby Grape was 2nd up, and Steppenwolf anchored the show. I graduated from Glendora High, class of '70. I was a budding rock musician at the time, and the brother of a friend of mine was friends with Gerald McCrohan, AKA Jerry Edmonton, who was the drummer for Steppenwolf at the time. I was star-struck because McCrohan came to one of our band practices once.

PBC did play at Glendora High School in 1967. General Store has eventually faded into obscurity. But Moby Grape and Steppenwolf were right at the height of their powers. To this day, that was one of the very best concerts I've ever been to, and I've seen some impressive lineups. It didn't hurt that the stage was only about a foot or two above the grass, and I was standing not more than 3-4 feet away from the dead-center front of the stage. It was awesome.

I vaguely remember having been to the Turtles concert at Glendora, but I don't really remember much in the way of details]
    Your absolutely right about that. The concert was sponsored by the GHS Class of '68 and was held at Citrus so they could get a larger audience. I seem to recall that either Santana or the Chambers Brothers were supposed to be on the bill, but I was unable to attend because of a prior commitment. PBC was the opening act for the Turtles the year before. What was the name of your band? I had friends who were in the Originals, Anonymous 5/Butter Bee Luv and the Riptides, and also knew one of the guys from Kingdom, all Glendora bands.

Benny and the Beamers

benny-and-the-beamers.jpg
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

College

University of Massachusetts (Amherst)...between 1974-1978

Grateful Dead
    Allman Brothers Band
    Elvis Costello
    Peter Gabriel
    Peter Frampton
    Melissa Manchester
    Martin Mull
    Orleans
    Talking Heads
    The Kinks
    Private Lightning
    Chuck Mangione

Most memorable was Chick Corea at Berklee ca. 80'

Not exactly 'my college', but it was in my town...Liverpool University in the UK had a concert hall called Mountford Hall, and I saw a few well-known bands there in the mid to late 70's...Stranglers, Cheap Trick, Grand Hotel, John Martyn, Sad Café...probably more but those are the ones that stick out.

I remember they would have primarily small to medium 'college circuit' bands on, such as Kursaal Flyers, Racing Cars, the aforementioned Sad Café.

They also used to have a 'battle of the bands' competition every year, and there was always a guest band to round off the night, that's how I saw Cheap Trick and Grand Hotel. Cheap Trick were just breaking big in the UK at the time...not sure what happened to Grand Hotel.

Talking of Racing Cars, reminds me of their best known track...

Late 1960s
    Saint Josephs (all boys) Catholic High School in Metuchen NJ (thankfully I only went there for the first half of my freshman year)
    Vanilla Fudge - headliner
    The Wind In The Willows - opening band with Deborah Harry

Though I did not attend these schools I did attend the concerts:
    Black Sabbath at Union Catholic High School - WTF?!!!!
    Mountain at Immaculata High School

College - at Follinger Auditirium where I had my Poly Sci 150 (where, on the day of the final, the professor declared, "by the way, for those of you who don't know my name, I'm Robert Weissberg") REM and Echo and the Bunnymen played in the same room

GAK Omek......

I was sentenced to 4 full years at St Joes (class of '73). Small world but that school turned quite HIP for awhile. I used to smoke herb with some of the teachers in the teachers room on dance nights but other than that, it sucked.

Small World

jkleban...

Ha! St. Joes!

Had I stayed there I would have graduated in '72, so I was gone by the time you got there. I then went to to Bridgewater-Raritan High School East where we smoked a lot of herb, which helped me to forget Brother Bernadine and his Whomper.

Suntower (cover band that did Siberian Khatru and several Rock songs including the Abbey Road Medley)
    Resurrection Band
    Mother's Finest

The German High School auditoriums (a bit smaller then the US ones I suppose) allowed mainly German bands to play in the 70's. I saw Grobschnitt, Kraan, Novalis, Jane, Streetmark and some other bands that I don't remember. The most outstanding concert was Grobschnitt in 75 or 76. It was actually not in my high school but in a friends neighborhood school. The auditorium was entirely made of wooden panels and when the band started playing Solar Music and the fires got off, the janitor went nuts, but the concert continued.
    The Düsseldorf academy of arts was (and remains) quite famous for Joseph Beuys and The Fluxus movement and through Nam Jun Paik they invited sometimes US artists. The most memorable (and also loudest) concert I ever saw there was Glenn Branca in the 80's.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I played at my high school around 72.
    University of Vermont, 73-77:
    Return to Forever
    Leo Kottke
    Mahogany Rush
    Billy Cobham (David Sancious and Tone were supposed to open, but the drummer got injured. I was really bummed.)
    John Hartford
    Supertramp
    Linda Ronstadt (Albert Lee on guitar)
    Gary Burton with Steve Swallow, Mick Goodrick and some guy named Pat Metheny
    Montreal was not too far. Saw Zappa; Charlie Mingus in a small club, not well attended. They sat at a table on a break. I was way too intimidated to say hello.