Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking for instrumental, dark, heavy, spacey, post-metally type bands

One of Oslo's greatest rock bands at this point, and note that I'm also featuring one of their vocal tracks showing how *incredibly* good they are at making "tunes" as well - this is not to be missed by anyone even remotely into current psych/stoner:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of Oslo's greatest rock bands at this point, and note that I'm also featuring one of their vocal tracks showing how *incredibly* good they are at making "tunes" as well - this is not to be missed by anyone even remotely into current psych/stoner:
    Cool.Throwing Stones is great tune.I have their first LP "Wind and Friends".

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Cool.Throwing Stones is great tune.I have their first LP "Wind and Friends".
    Which is good, freaky improv psych, and I dig that they still keep making acid jams in concerts. But they are even better when they create actual songs, such as on this 12' EP - pressed on white vinyl exclusively and containing two 8-minute tracks. Apparently they're working on a double album of pre-arranged tunes; should be great!

I got the EP directly from the bass player at a records fair, btw - he sold me a completely soiled original vinyl of Klan's Mrowisko.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Dark Fog has that blend of stoner/psych going
    Thanks for shattering my illusion of being the only person outside of Dark Fog to know who they are and like them.

and now, dance music for narcotics users:

No kidding. They're awesome! Other than "Sleep," do they have anything else available? I'd love to hear more of their live stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Other than "Sleep," do they have anything else available?
    Not that I know of, except for their debut (Wind and Friends) which was, as noted, a purely improvised set of four instrumentals. Looks as if the upcoming album is still in the works, although it's two years plus since the EP.

The venue where that footage is from, Revolver, is my girlfriend's fave hangout BTW; she knows several of the those who run it. It's basically a double-split bar/diner at the ground floor with gig quarters and pub in the cellar basement. And they put on *a lot* of great shows there; I remember catching Wobbler (plus some crescendic post-rock support) in the mid of summer holidays last year, on a few hours' notice (it was hardly announced), and the concert drew 120 people, essentially packing the place. I've also seen bands like Tusmørke, Alpine Those Myriads and Krokofant there. It's good to be a progressive rock fan in Norway these days, such a whole lot happening on all frontiers.

Which is good, freaky improv psych, and I dig that they still keep making acid jams in concerts. But they are even better when they create actual songs, such as on this 12' EP - pressed on white vinyl exclusively and containing two 8-minute tracks. Apparently they're working on a double album of pre-arranged tunes; should be great!
    I'll look forward to it and please keep us updated.
    I got the EP directly from the bass player at a records fair, btw - he sold me a completely soiled original vinyl of Klan's Mrowisko.
    Reminds collectors Eric & Morgan on Asbjornsen "Scented gardens of the mind".