Thread: Martin Barre tour of Britan and Europe, autumn 2014

Martin Barre tour of Britan and Europe, autumn 2014

We went to the Bolton gig.
    Venue very hot and stuffy - exceptionally mild night.
    Martin and the band played two sets and were on excellent form - better than i was expecting to be perfectly honest.
    Plenty of Tull (as you'd expect) but some surprising covers also (from Beatles to Porcupine Tree).
    Highly recommended.

Porcupine Tree ? Which song(s) ?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    from Beatles
    Was that Eleanor Rigby? Did Martin say it was a response to a request to do a Beatles song from someone he'd met in the bar earlier in the evening?

That is what he did and said at Cambridge.

Otherwise gig was good, very blues-rock. About 50% Tull, mostly from first four albums. Good band.

I should be way more excited about this than I am.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm assuming there'll be new material.

t'was indeed Eleanor Rigby - an awesome version too - but I don't recall any specific introduction.

The opener for the second set was Blackest Eyes which I really, really couldn't have expected. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    t'was indeed Eleanor Rigby - an awesome version too - but I don't recall any specific introduction.
    At Cambridge, he definitely implied that someone in the bar before the gig had requested Beatles, so the band hastily rehearsed the song just before they came on - no mention of it being in the set earlier in the tour.

There was a new CD on sale called Order of Play, recorded live in 2013, with same band except for bass. Nearly all of that featured (CD doesn't include Eleanor Rigby!).

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    At Cambridge, he definitely implied that someone in the bar before the gig had requested Beatles, so the band hastily rehearsed the song just before they came on - no mention of it being in the set earlier in the tour.
    On reflection, what I suspect happened was that someone Martin was chatting to in the bar mentioned that they liked The Beatles, whereupon Martin reinstated Eleanor Rigby into the set, rehearsing it quickly just before the start of the show.

I'd be interested to know if it remains in the set throughout the tour, and how it is introduced.