Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magic Pie

The initial word from JT is that Progress Records may have it. He's going to check and get back to me.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

I've been listening to the Suffering Joy youtube clip from this thread, very impressive. This is much better than the stuff the Flower Kings or Spock's has been putting out lately.
    I might have to look into these guys.

Please do so Rich! They're one of my favorite bands. (However, in the interest of full disclosure I carry a very strong bias here! LOL) I think you will find some interesting growth from album to album. Motions of Desire is a great one but Circus of Life fully integrates Allen Olsen on vocals and has a different feel altogether IMO. Suffering Joy finds new vocalist Eirikur Hauksson replacing Allen, who has a totally different voice, while the upcoming album will have a new keyboardist Erling Henanger, who replaced Gilbert Marshall. As always, there is the constant of firey guitar wizardry from Kim Stenberg. Eager to hear the new effort and, one way or another, am going to SEE them perform it! (George, are you listening???) ;-)
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

The upcoming album is awesome and is their best (IMHO) - got to listen to an early mix several times while hanging out in Norway. Looking forward to the final product!

Don't panic if you can't find these CDs for me! I actually own all three Magic Pie CDs, but I somehow misfiled their CDs in my large collection. I just can't find them and I thought that having a second copy might be a good idea. Greg Walker has their 2nd and 3rd albums, so don't worry about me.

Library Jon

Cool Jon but I ALWAYS get worked up when it comes to Magic Pie. It's in my genetic make up!!! :-) :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    Cool Jon but I ALWAYS get worked up when it comes to Magic Pie. It's in my genetic make up!!! :-) :-) :-)
    And you certainly don't want to view that map!

Is Kay's Tupperware container, erm, uh, I meant are YOU still coming to Harding House Saturday, Stoobs?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

So they can map random chaos??? Cool!!!!! :-)

Yes indeedy! It's in the back seat of my car. Now, who wants to lay odds I will find some reason to take it out of my car for the proverbial 'minute' and leave it at home??? ;-)

Wow! Bummer. I heard back from JT and unfortunately it looks like there aren't any cds currently available! His suggestion for the moment was to go to Spotify and burn it. Sorry! Still haven't checked my small box of 'extras' though. I'll check in the morning.

The first two albums are good. I only listened to the second one once so far. How is the third one Suffering Joy? I saw them once at Rosfest and they were very good.

Again, it's different than the first two, with the presence of Eirikur Hauksson on lead vocals. It's good, though, to be sure. (I'm trying hard to refrain from being a fan boy!) If you buy it and don't like it, I'll but it from you and gift it to someone else. What better guarantee can I give you than that?

Update from JT:

Correction: buy and download from Itunes

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    Again, it's different than the first two, with the presence of Eirikur Hauksson on lead vocals. It's good, though, to be sure. (I'm trying hard to refrain from being a fan boy!) If you buy it and don't like it, I'll but it from you and gift it to someone else. What better guarantee can I give you than that?
    That sounds like something I would do! Lol. Hey I have plenty cds in my collection I don't care for. It's called being obsessive. But yeah I'm sure I'll like it. Thanks for the feedback.

This post made me dig out Magic Pie's first two CDs to see if I agreed with what was posted in this thread. I have to say that after listening to both CDs two times through, I really can't find much to complain about. If you like prog with great guitars, strong keyboards, and memorable melodies, Magic Pie is a great place to start. Throw in some pretty good lead and backup vocals and a lot of positive messages (I will lead you to a better future!) and you have two very good prog CDs that I really need to listen to more often.

Next up is a few spins of The Suffering Joy to see if it is as good as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The first two albums are good. I only listened to the second one once so far. How is the third one Suffering Joy?
    It's their best.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I've been listening to the Suffering Joy youtube clip from this thread, very impressive. This is much better than the stuff the Flower Kings or Spock's has been putting out lately.
    I might have to look into these guys.
    To me (way before I got to know them) they have always been a "all killer-no filler" band, Rich. I've seen them live 3 times (dalegtr has seen them at least 5 times), and both the instrumental and vocal virtuosity of this band is staggering imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I have to say that I don't like the new singer. I love the first 2 CDs, but the new singer really irritates my ears. I find the same thing with the singer on the 3rd Presto Ballet CD as they sound similar. Plus I didn't care for his stage presence. Just didn't seem to belong there. Looks like lots of people will disagree with me, but that's my $.02.
    Still interested in hearing the new one though, as I love the music, but it's not an autobuy for me.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I have to say that I don't like the new singer. I love the first 2 CDs,
    My case as well. I play the first two repeatedly but the 3rd one had been a miss due to the vocals.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS