Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantastic Kotebel live performance in the USA. Superb video and audio quality.

However, they are not Latin American, they are from Spain, hello Simon !!

Kotebel is from Venezuela by Venezuelans, 3 member are from there, relocated to Spain, his father is a well know Venezuelan Musician

read the interview link bellow

Some have described Kotebel as Venezuelan-Spanish. What is the Venezuelan connection?

I was born in Venezuela and moved to Spain 22 years ago. In fact, I come from a family with a long musical tradition in Venezuela. My father was also a composer and dedicated a fair part of his life teaching several generations of musicians. Carlos Franco is also Venezuelan and my daughter, despite the fact that she was born in Madrid, has close ties to Venezuela since most of our family is still there. From a musical point of view, there are many references to Venezuelan folklore; in some cases very explicit (the piece ‘Joropo’ in “Omphalos” is based on a Venezuelan rhythm in 3/8) and in others (many) is hidden in our music. For example, Carlos Franco, who is a percussionist expert in Venezuelan music, incorporates many references to local rhythmic patterns.

http://progressiverockcentral.com/20...tric-ensemble/
    Last edited by begnagrad; 03-15-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    However, they are not Latin American, they are from Spain, hello Simon !!

I was born in Venezuela and moved to Spain 22 years ago. In fact, I come from a family with a long musical tradition in Venezuela. My father was also a composer and dedicated a fair part of his life teaching several generations of musicians. Carlos Franco is also Venezuelan and my daughter, there are many references to Venezuelan[/B] folklore; in some cases very explicit (the piece ‘Joropo’ in “Omphalos” is based on a Venezuelan rhythm in 3/8) and in others (many) is hidden in our music. For example, Carlos Franco, who is a percussionist expert in Venezuelan music, incorporates many references to local rhythmic patterns.

http://progressiverockcentral.com/20...tric-ensemble/
    Well, I now understand my limits, i appreciate the music but would have never, ever guessed the Venezuelan Folk in Kotebel's music, and he clearly says many references ... wow.

Kotebel's First album is Carlos Plaza, solo, with a few guests here and there, he started in Venezuela and then moved to Spain, in earlier albums there were other Venezuelan musicians too.

In some way it's a father/daughter band ..

The confusion is that he hired a couple of spaniards and people who didn't know about Carlos and his long musical history in venezuela wrongly assumed that the band and main members were all spanish. Mike Oldfield too relocated to Spain

So now you know, another good band from Venezuela, unless you want to contradict Cralos
    Along with Tempano and Vytas Brenner, a good trio of interesting prog.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ouroboros is very good, just a step behind Concerto for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I agree. I'm spinning Ouroboros now and totally loving it. Both really super albums in my book.

Bill

With inspiration from this thread I grabbed Ouroboros from the cd rack and spun it this afternoon while working. I'd concur with NogbadTheBad & Sputnik ~ excellent album! It contains the strong classical influence that Concerto has but is more traditionally prog with respect to instrumentation.