Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starcastle

Starcastle

* STARCASTLE seeking intern to redesign its website, manage social media, web presence and a new Starcastle forum. This is an unpaid position which may lead to a paying position for the right person. See description of position below:

Website Development/Social Media Intern For Progressive Rock Group Starcastle
    - Designing a new website using creative website development skills
    - Social media skills and experience
    - Creating and managing interactive forum on SC’s website
    - Creating and managing merchandise page
    - Identifying best internet marketing for products and merchandise

See www.starcastlerocks.com and respond to: starcastle@fuse.net.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm already working on the Home page:

I think the kitten with the Nazi salute will drive away customers.

Just sayin'.

Thank you for your input, it's quite helpful.

Will starcastle ever get any respect around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Will starcastle ever get any respect around here?
    Told a friend they were playing one of the festivals and he said: "Geez, that's like pouring sugar down your throat". Maybe they should get Domino Sugar to do their web page.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

We kid Starcastle because we love Starcastle. That last album was good, I hope another is on the way and that's the reason they're looking for a web master!

UPDATE: I just bought the first three Starcastle albums from iTunes - all priced nicely! I have the first two on CD somewhere, but I needed to bliss out bigtime ASAP! Starcastle, take me away!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-25-2014 at 10:20 PM.

A little respect would be nice, they certainly deserve it. Gary Strater is one of my favorite bassists of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We kid Starcastle because we love Starcastle.
    Very true, there's been a lot of love for Starcastle shown here over the years. Wish I could help, but web design isn't my thing.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I've loved the 1st 3 albums since they were released, and actually proposed to my ex-wife (of 28 years & the mother of my 5 kids, not to be confused w/Kay) at a Styx-Starcastle double bill while Herb Schildt was in the middle of playing the first 16 bars of "Lady Of The Lake".

I told that story when I introduced Starcastle at RoSFest 2007. I too know zip about web design unfortunately.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I told that story when I introduced Starcastle at RoSFest 2007.
    Was that the year the lighting guy stole the show.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Was that the year the lighting guy stole the show.
    The very same!

I wanted to find out what combo of alcohol & drugs that guy had in his system.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If this was 2004, Id ROCK this.....However this is 2014 and, although I think I can still do pretty decent web design and graphics, I think there are others better at this now than I am (and more in touch with current trending than I am)

I thought that Starcastle were absolutely superb at Rosfest. Thanks for introducing them progeezer. Al Lewis really delivered vocally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    * STARCASTLE seeking intern to redesign its website, manage social media, web presence and a new Starcastle forum. This is an unpaid position which may lead to a paying position for the right person. See description of position below:

Website Development/Social Media Intern For Progressive Rock Group Starcastle
    - Designing a new website using creative website development skills
    - Social media skills and experience
    - Creating and managing interactive forum on SC’s website
    - Creating and managing merchandise page
    - Identifying best internet marketing for products and merchandise

See www.starcastlerocks.com and respond to: starcastle@fuse.net.
    While I understand the economics behind hiring an intern for nothing, just remember that you get what you pay for. Plus, this is an awful lot to ask of someone with no experience.

All of these responsibilities are absolutely critical to the first impressions that many people will get of Starcastle. Undervaluing that (which is what you're doing) will hurt you in the end. You should seriously consider pulling together some resources for a professional who will not only do it right, but do it quicker and with less hand-holding. If you're serious about this, you should take your best shot at it. All the time, work, money and headaches that come with doing what you do should not be undermined by "just getting by" with your exposure.

The bankruptcy courts are full of great ideas that were undermined by going cheap on marketing, promotions and branding. The same can be said for a multitude of talented bands that did what they thought was just enough to get by and that their music would do the selling for them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I know a bit about webdesign, but not much about all other things.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    [/CENTER]
    The hell with Starcastle. I need that on *my* web site.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The hell with Starcastle. I need that on *my* web site.
    Jed might be easy, but he ain't cheap.

There's a saying we have in the design business:

1. Cheap.
    2. Good.
    3. Quick.

You only get to pick two.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Oh, they'll be paid. In happy, feel-good harmony vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    While I understand the economics behind hiring an intern for nothing, just remember that you get what you pay for. Plus, this is an awful lot to ask of someone with no experience.

All of these responsibilities are absolutely critical to the first impressions that many people will get of Starcastle. Undervaluing that (which is what you're doing) will hurt you in the end. You should seriously consider pulling together some resources for a professional who will not only do it right, but do it quicker and with less hand-holding. If you're serious about this, you should take your best shot at it. All the time, work, money and headaches that come with doing what you do should not be undermined by "just getting by" with your exposure.

The bankruptcy courts are full of great ideas that were undermined by going cheap on marketing, promotions and branding. The same can be said for a multitude of talented bands that did what they thought was just enough to get by and that their music would do the selling for them.
    I do appreciate your input, however pulling together the resources to redo the website with a professional would be a much easier proposition had the band ever been paid anything by either Epic, Sony or ProgRock Records. On Song of Times, we put untold hours into the CD over 10 years, incurred expenses traveling to record and paid thousands in artwork, mixing/mastering, had to suffer through the loss of a dear friend and received nothing, despite ProgRock Records selling thousands of copies of the CD and downloads. We also invested several thousand dollars in the current website. Our hope was to find someone who had the skills and was a fan of the music to help us out, and as we have success they would grow with us. We are also trying to conserve as much as we can in order to finish the three releases currently being worked on, Rosfest 2007, Alchemy, the California body of work and a CD with new material being written at this time.

My intent in sharing this is to explain that there are financial realities that we, and other bands, have to deal with that maybe everyone isn't aware of. Thanks.

^^ Totally understand. And it sucks what has happened over the years. Too bad you invested so much in that current site. Someone took advantage of you, IMO.

I'm not trying to be snide or critical. Just trying to make a point that your best bet is to pull something together to make it worthwhile to someone you're asking to put a lot of time into something that might never pay off for them. Even a die-hard fan needs something out of the gate. It takes a ton of time to do it right. If it isn't money, maybe it's a piece of the pie or some other incentive.

I understand the realities of all you're going through. It truly sucks.

But, think of all of that effort you put into your art. It would be sad to undermine it now. A little more cash might be all you need to get over that hump and take your best shot.

I think it's safe to say that most of us are in your corner. Good luck.

Hey Bruce, do you think that kickstarter would help you get the cd's released? I am pretty sure that it has helped other artists/bands.

That's a great idea. We've actually been discussing this but not sure exactly how to proceed. If anyone has any experience or knowledge about it please contact me. And thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Hey Bruce, do you think that kickstarter would help you get the cd's released? I am pretty sure that it has helped other artists/bands.