Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Opeth : Blackwater Park

The growling vocals don't work for me - even after repeated listens, but the music on this album is very good no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yeah... that little Cookie Monster gimmick is for pre-pubes IMO .. but if the Heritage album is instrumental, I might have a go at that one
    Heritage is not instrumental but there is no growling vocals.

Blackwater Park is a phenomenal album. I was at The Royal Albert Hall when they played it in its entirety a couple of years ago, a truly memorable night!

Looking forward to Pale Communication in a couple of weeks too, read lots of good reports about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Fantastic Album!
    True, but it still behind Ghost Reveries and Deliverance.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

LOVE Opeth! But this is the only album of theirs I don't have except Heritage. Ghost Reveries and Watershed are my favorites. They are also the only band where the growling works for me
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Sorry, but death metal and prog do not integrate at all,
    100% agree. And OPETH could easily be an excellent death metal band if they 'd gotten rid of their illusions of "progressive" grandeur.

I'll take FALL OF EFRAFA, FEN, WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, GNAW THEIR TONGUES, FAUNA over OPETH anytime, for sheer inventiveness combined with brutality and morbid atmosphere.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-13-2014 at 03:40 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This was the first one for me. Did take a fair old well to adjust to the growls but I got there in the end. Probably my 3rd favourite behind Ghost Reveries and Watershed. I seriously miss the textural dynamic of the cookie monster vocals on Heritage. I've tried getting in to that album many times, but something just doesn't work about it for me.

Sorry, but death metal and prog do not integrate at all, and the growling vocals are a major deal-breaker for me. Damnation is the only Opeth album I can stomach.
    You might give Heritage a try, no cookie vox and no death metal power riffing. I like it a bunch.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    100% agree. And OPETH could easily be an excellent death metal band if they 'd gotten rid of their illusions of "progressive" grandeur.

I'll take FALL OF EFRAFA, FEN, WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, GNAW THEIR TONGUES, FAUNA over OPETH anytime, for sheer inventiveness combined with brutality and morbid atmosphere.
    To each his own. I'll take Opeth's "illusions of 'progressive' grandeur" over the morbid atmosphere of songs about someone's orifices waiting to be ravaged or urine soaked neophytes from Gnaw Their Tongues any day.
    I do like Wolves In The Throne Room and Fen, though I don't find their music as harmonically interesting to me.
    I'll give Fall Of Efrafa a try and see what I think.

Sorry, but death metal and prog do not integrate at all, and the growling vocals are a major deal-breaker for me. Damnation is the only Opeth album I can stomach.
    Clearly your opinion. The opinion of millions of fans of Progressive Metal, the larger extreme part of the spectrum, is that they mix well. Experimental, Avant-Garde, and Extreme Progressive Metal is about all I listen to these days and there is no shortage of great music in those genres.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

mt said:
    yeah... that little Cookie Monster gimmick is for pre-pubes IMO ..
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Clearly your opinion. The opinion of millions of fans of Progressive Metal, the larger extreme part of the spectrum, is that they mix well. Experimental, Avant-Garde, and Extreme Progressive Metal is about all I listen to these days and there is no shortage of great music in those genres.
    Hey JE - you're not as dumb as you look.

Happy 20th Birthday to Blackwater Park! Released 12 March 2001 in Europe. One of the best metal albums still to my ears imo.

This was a "gateway drug" to death metal growls.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

This was a "gateway drug" to death metal growls.
    Yep. But this album also goes places that no other album does for me....the 5/8 section of Drapery Falls always slays me. I love the production too...SW nailed it.

It's still in my top 3 of theirs. Watershed is another, I never tire of that one. I have to include My Arms, Your Hearse as well, which doesn't get enough credit these days. It has a certain magic to it that really appeals to me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's still in my top 3 of theirs. Watershed is another, I never tire of that one. I have to include My Arms, Your Hearse as well, which doesn't get enough credit these days. It has a certain magic to it that really appeals to me.
    I had a YUGE discovery with MAYH this past fall/winter! Was listening every day for a while, absolutely kick ass. Still Life too, plus Morningrise a bunch too. But MAYH...April Ethereal, When, Demon, Credence, Tyrant...oh man. Makes me want crank it but its getting too late for that shit - my wife will kill me.

I've always thought Still Life was one of the best - but Blackwater Park is the most enjoyable.

(Does that make sense? Probably not )
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've always thought Still Life was one of the best - but Blackwater Park is the most enjoyable.

(Does that make sense? Probably not )
    I love the first two-thirds of Still Life, but the last two tracks (Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster) have somehow never clicked with me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I love the first two-thirds of Still Life, but the last two tracks (Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster) have somehow never clicked with me.
    Ha....last two tracks on Still Life are the ones I usually crank the most, besides The Moor and Godheads Lament :horn

Just picked up the 20th Anniversary Blackwater on silver vinyl. Oh yeahhhhh!!! Obsessed with Bleak right now...Oh Willy Stevenson you tricky little elf man.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ha....last two tracks on Still Life are the ones I usually crank the most, besides The Moor and Godheads Lament :horn
    No they aren't. You were just kidding.

No they aren't. You were just kidding.
    Yes. No. Yes. No. Maybe. Who knows.

Serenity Painted Death riff starting at 1:27....I want that section on repeat for the rest of me life. One of my fav Opethian moments, no joke. And then Mikael comes in with those vocals, close to his death growl peak right there.

^^^ It was worth a shot. My jedi mind tricks aren't what they used to be.

I knew the riff of which you spoke before I even checked it out to be sure. And it is good. I'll see that and raise you the final minute of Baying Of The Hounds (starting at 9:40). Everything about that section is perfect. Those toms, Mendez's nifty little bass licks, the keys accenting it all. Brilliant. Of course, there are many, many more of these.

^ Oh yeah! Hounds is in the elite class, like top 5 Opeth tune along with Drapery Falls, Ghost of Perdition, Heir Apparent, Closure, etc etc. No argument there