Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About Your Gear- Or Even Show Us!

My PRS can be seen and heard at 5:28 here (Randy is playing it, though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7A8w...e_gdata_player

Instruments
    Gibson SG Custom 1976 (with one original PAF pickup in neck position)
    Steinberger by Hohner (all wood) with pickups replaced with Seymor Duncan PAF and some other I forgot the name of)
    Steinberger GL4 (the one all graphite)
    Status bass S2, 5-string

Devices
    Roland OD1 distortion
    MXR Blue Box
    MXR stereo chorus
    MXR compressor
    Morley Volume / Wah
    TC-electronics stomp / on off
    Roland GP-8 soundprocessor (multieffects)
    Furman sound PQ3 parametric equalizer

Amps
    Burman tube, 50 watts combo 2 speakers
    Roland jazz chorus 120
    EBS bas cab 10"

Listen:
    http://bohn.dk/lyd/Learning_by_drowning_01.mp3

The tune was recorded soem years ago in a 2 room flat, 1. floor, in Copenhagen on a 4 track cassette, no studio, no rehearsals, 2 overdubs.
    Claus : Musicman bassguitar, chapman stick, drum-machine, tape with female voice, additional rythmguitar on the D piece.
    Me: all other guitars with & whitout treatments & effects, echoguitars, sologuitars.

i have a couple three guitars that i bang around with nice little bedroom amp not like the gear y'all have got.
    Mesa Boogie studio caliber DC-2. 20 watts tube power with a foot switch.
    Signature guitar; twin humbucking pu's electric (like a PRS purchased from ed roman guitars ) hotter than normal pickups has the "bird" inlays in the neck.
    Alvarez acoustic 6 string guitar like a gibson jumbo blond yellow big body.
    Simon and Patrick luthier 6 string acoustic mahogany body single cutaway; strings were a touch too high so I had them lowered a little bit plays wonderfully.

Will get some pics later, but:

Tune Zii 6 String bass, koa top, early 90's Japanese make
    Basses Loaded 6 string bass, customized fretless sloppy self-conversion
    Squier Affinity J Bass, black
    Sitar, made in Calcutta / Kolkata
    Violin, can't recall the make but it's a nice instrument--was Grandma's and it was modeled on a Strad.
    Piano--a friend's upright, currently living in my garage. It's an old upright, very beautiful.

Eden 210XLT
    AMP BH-260 head
    Demeter Tube Pre-Amp
    TC Electronics Parametric EQ/Preamp
    SWR LA Series practice/small amp, don't recall exact model.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Piano--a friend's upright, currently living in my garage. It's an old upright, very beautiful.
    Is your friend living in your garage, or the piano?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's just a controller, it doesn't make any sound by itself. You can hook it up to hardware synth racks or a computer and play those sounds with it. In my keyboard rig it appears a lot of impossible sounds are coming out of some old 80s vintage keyboards because they're all MIDId to something else- not one of them actually has the audio output plugged in

Which, if anyone's interested is:

Yamaha DX7
    Ensoniq Mirage
    Roland RS-9
    M-Audio Keystation 61
    That’s actually a really cool idea, nice to know those 80s digital synths still have their uses. My limited experience with the DX7 was that the on-board sounds were dreadful but the keyboard itself was very nice and responsive, and felt very piano-like. I think it would work superbly as a MIDI controller. (The other digi-synth I played with at the time was the Casio CZ-101, about which I have nothing nice to say. )

EDIT: Looks like the one to get for MIDI controller purposes is the DX7 II. I’d recommend the DX7 IIFD, as it would be nice for all those old floppy discs to finally have a purpose. Though if you’re just using it as a MIDI controller, perhaps not. Any other cheap, junky 80s digi-synths you’d recommend for MIDI controller purposes?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Neutron Bomb”-Mythos/Concrete City
    Last edited by Progbear; 11-13-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    That’s actually a really cool idea, nice to know those 80s digital synths still have their uses. My limited experience with the DX7 was that the on-board sounds were dreadful but the keyboard itself was very nice and responsive, and felt very piano-like. I think it would work superbly as a MIDI controller. (The other digi-synth I played with at the time was the Casio CZ-101, about which I have nothing nice to say. )

EDIT: Looks like the one to get for MIDI controller purposes is the DX7 II. I’d recommend the DX7 IIFD, as it would be nice for all those old floppy discs to finally have a purpose. Though if you’re just using it as a MIDI controller, perhaps not. Any other cheap, junky 80s digi-synths you’d recommend for MIDI controller purposes?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Neutron Bomb”-Mythos/Concrete City
    I love the keys on my roland jv30.

Yep, the DX7 has a great action, and wheels, which I prefer to joysticks. I seem to remember the DX7 II was a bit more clicky and plastic, but it did have a decent MIDI implementation. The DX7 has nothing- basic MIDI out on one channel, that's pretty much it *lol* But I do all my routing and mapping through the sequencer.

Hmm.
    Guitars: Parker P-38 and Nitefly SA, Yamaha RGz something, Hamer Chaparral, Godin SolidAC (all highly modified). Ibanez classical, Seagull steel-string, and a Gibson S-1 that I've modified the poop out of.

Amps: Pearce G1 and G2r; I've tried so many others, and nothing comes close. Crate 4x12", Peavey 2x12" (used to be a 4x12"), both stereo, with Celestions.

Pedalboard1; amp: guitar > line6 wireless > DOD Milkbox compressor > Morley vol/wah > Pearce G2r [FX loop] > Rocktron compressor/hush > DigiTech IPS33 harmonizer > t.c. electronic G-Major > [FX loop in] > Crate cab. It's controlled by a Rolls MidiBuddy, and the G-Major switches amp channels based on the program. There's also an ADA MicroCab for DI to the PA. The Rocktron unit is simply for boosting the volume a bit for leads.

Pedalboard2; DI: guitar magnetic pickup output > line6 wireless > DOD Milkbox compressor > Morley vol/wah > DigiTech RP-12 > Morley volume > PA. SECOND SIDE: guitar piezo output > Sennheiser wireless > Morley mini-volume > Fishman Aura pedal > Zoom acoustic FX pedal > PA. This is for the Parkers and the Godin, playing with a copy band. I'm going to replace the amp sims of the RP-12 with the Pearce G1 as a preamp, and an ADA cab simulator. The FX of the RP-12 will be replaced with another G-Major. The second volume pedal in the magnetic pickup line is for boosting a bit for leads.

This all looks and sounds complicated, but it's dirt simple to operate. One button push on the RP-12 or MidiBuddy switches everything for me; no more tap-dancing...

Drums: Tama Superstar birch 7-piece kit, 6.5" deep Artstar snare, DW5000 double pedals and hihat, Cymbals: 13" fusion hats, 10" splash, 13" splash/crash, 2x12" splashes, 14" crash, 16" crash, 18" china, 10" Max stack, 21" rock ride, mostly Sabian AAX (a couple of Zildjians thrown in). Roland Pad11 percussion pad, and a set of Rototoms my wife bought me. Vic Firth 7ANs, baby.

Keys: old Korg 707, Alesis QSr with MidiMan controller, old Yamaha something-or-other. Mostly the Alesis provides the sounds.

Bass: a WONDERFUL old Aria ProII fretless copy of a Jazz bass, with all the electronics replaced. This thing plays and sounds better than any Fender I've ever played.

PA: 4800W system (do I need to list all that crap?) I've got 6 mixers, 5 power amps, 6 mains cabinets, 2 subs, and 4 monitors. I need to sell some of this stuff...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Is your friend living in your garage, or the piano?
    HA! the piano...not the friend!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    HA! the piano...not the friend!
    Poor poor piano, suffering in a garage.

In order of when I aquired them:

Roland SH-101 monophonic synthesizer
    Roland JX-3P polyphonic synthesizer
    Yamaha RX17 drum machine
    Casio CZ-3000 synthesizer
    Yamaha QY10 MIDI sequencer
    Kawai XS-1 desktop synth module
    Boss Dr. Pad 4 drum pad
    Korg Rhythm 55 drum machine
    E-mu xl-7 command station
    Alesis Micron virtual analog synth
    Dave Smith Instruments Mopho desktop analog synth module
    Korg Kaossilator touch pad synth
    Korg Mini-Kaos Pad touch pad effects processor
    Bleeplabs Thingamableep 2
    Jomox T-Resonator time woven filter matrix
    Korg Kaossilator Pro touch pad synthesizer
    Novation xio 25 virtual analog synthesizer
    M-audio Venom virtual analog synthesizer
    TC Electronics Flashback
    Yamaha PSR E423 keyboard
    Pigtronix Echolution delay pedal

Wow, I didn't realize I had so much stuff...and there are dozens of other things on my want list. I guess I have no life.

Instruments and equipment:

A plethora of gear, most of it old and beat-up, and almost all bought used. I'm badly out of practice on a fair number of the instruments, notably the guitars and percussion, and there are a few I've never even learned to play, like the accordion I picked up after I first heard Astor Piazzolla. Some of the stands and cases are home-made, as are the pedalboards and packaging. Quite a few of those are unfinished or works in progress.

A full list of everything would take a while to put together. Maybe I'll do that someday, but don't really feel like it now.

Here's some of mine:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sweet Hiwatt!!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sweet Hiwatt!!
    Yes it is (a 1977 DR103). Probably the best purchase I've ever made. Bought it in 1997 for a fraction they go nowadays and it's been my only amp since. Should have bought two when they were cheaper and should have bought the 8x10" cab also a lot earlier than I eventually did (2008).

The bass pedals on top of the Ampeg cab is a Korg PK-13/BPX-3. I just learned they are quite rare nowadays? It isn't a Taurus 'though; it provides a good enough solid low end but that's about it. A chorus pedal helps a lot. Anybody wanna change them for a set of Moog pedals? Even a Taurus II will do.

I'm really not a gear head at all.

I like simple set-ups that are sturdy, reliable, and easy to carry/set-up and break down. However, after 12 years of playing through a Hartkee Head and Genz benz cabs, About 2 years ago i switched to Mark Bass and i have never been happier. Truly, unbelievable tone and great live snarl. Super easy to dial up great tones.

I have a Jeff Berlin CMD 151P, and I stack it on a Mark Bass 151 New York cabinet. For effects, I use a Boss ME 50B when I play live. It took a lot of tweaking, but i can get all the sounds I need and it's fairly easy to haul around.

With Might Could, i play a Fender Victor Bailey Model acoustic bass with Elixir strings.

With Sonus Umbra, Fanfare (ELP tribute), Champions of Nothing (Kevin Gilbert Shaming of the true) and Silver Pipe (Tull tribute) I use a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee with a hipshot tuner, and DR Marcus Miller Fatbeams. Sometimes I still go back to Rotosound swing strings. I used the same set-up for an Elton John deep cuts gig we played a few months ago here in Chicago.

When I play/record with Pete Laramee, I use an Ernie Ball Bongo 5-String bass. Since that guy churns and chunks on a 7-string guitar, the 5-string bass is not optional, but i have always found 5-string bass guitars somewhat uncomfortable. I used it a bit early on with the Champions of Nothing (some of the tunes use it, especially tunes like "City of the Sun" and "Staring Into Nothing" that feature ultra low, grumbly C riffs) but it became more trouble than it was worth, and I can now basically do it all on my Jazz with drop D and raising those C's one octave.

Other than that, I have an Ovation Nylon string that I have used to write a LOT of tunes over the years, and sometimes played live with Sonus Umbra. The rest of the music I write either on my Korg 01W FD or a Yamaha YDP S31 electric piano that is truly a joy to play. That Korg has been used live by a lot of other bands besides Sonus, including Pain of Salvation and Ars Nova when they played at Progday.

I also have, but seldom use, some Roland bass pedals that are used as controllers for a E-mu Proteus 3 rack. Given that every band I'm in besides the Champs has Brian Harris on keys, it is now unlikely i will ever play them live again.

I forgot, so this is the edit: i have a very comfy Strat that i use to write when I'm not on the nylon string. I wish I could change that for a Gibson SG. For whatever reason, a Gibson SG is just a delight to play. It can really sing on leads, it has a nice crunch/beef sound, and the clean parts come out with just the right amount of snarl for live. Too expensive for something you just use to test ideas on electric though...
    Last edited by Luis Nasser; 11-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Luis how's that hipshot tuner work on your bass during songs? Is it just to change tunings in-between songs or do you create a musical effect by activating it while playing?

Ok, my set-up:

Guitars:

Ibanez RS-1010SL Steve Lukather Sig
    Ibanez RS-530 - Heavily modified with Kahler trem, Floyd Rose nut, Sperzels, SD Allan Holdsworth and Ibanez F2 pickups
    Washburn Tour 24 - newly acquired very 80s black and red Telecaster thingy with Kahler trem, Floyd nut and 2x humbuckers
    'Fender' Stratocaster - handmade body, Fender USA neck, 2 x Kent Armstrong s/c and SD Invader pickups, Sperzels, Fender/Floyd trem and LSR roller nut.
    'Bitsa' Thinline Telecaster
    Colin Kendall handmade acoustic 6-string (main axe these days now it appears I've gone unplugged!)
    Faith Saturn II 12-string

Basses:
    Guild Pilot 6-string fretted
    Yamaha RBX270F 4-string fretless

Effects:
    Alesis Quadraverb GT
    Behringer Midiboard
    CMI Wah
    Morley Volume
    Dod Graphic EQ pedal

Amplification:
    Marshall DSL 401 Combo
    No-Name 4x12 cab equipped with Fane speakers
    Ashdown Blue 130 1x15 Bass Combo

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Luis how's that hipshot tuner work on your bass during songs? Is it just to change tunings in-between songs or do you create a musical effect by activating it while playing?
    I mostly use it to change tunings between songs, but I sometimes use it as part of a phrase, going from E to low D and then back.

Here's a list of mine (just to remind me I don't need more)

Basses:

1991 Rickenbacker 4003
    1976 Gibson Thunderbird
    1983 Squier Jazz Bass (JV series)
    1980 Ibanez RS900 (Roadster)
    2004 custom made (by Ville Tyyster) Telecaster bass (1968 style)
    2006 custom made (by Ville Tyyster) 3-pickup stereo Jazz Bass (Doug Rauch style)
    2004 Waterstone TP-2 12-string bass with custom pickups and wired in stereo
    2001 Hamer CH-12 neck w/ a custom body & custom pickups and wired in stereo
    2008 Danelectro Longhorn
    2010 custom made (by Marko Ursin) non-reverse Thunderbird bass
    2008 custom made (by Marko Ursin) Alembic style 32" scale bass
    1980's Aria SB700, modded as a 6-string (tuned E-E)
    2011 Frankenstein (=made from parts) Precision bass (1973 Wetton style)
    2012 Frankenstein P-body/Tele neck bass (1978 Neil Murray style)

Amps and cabs:
    1977 Hiwatt DR103 valve head (4 input Hylight)
    1994 Ampeg E810 8x10" cab
    2009 EBS CL212 2x12" cab

Effects and pedals include Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal, H&K Rotosphere II, Digitech Stereo Delay, Ibanez Chorus/Flanger DCF10 etc.

I still need a fretless since I sold my 80's Jazz Bass Special. An old Ibanez Musician, a Stingray, Yamaha BB2000 perhaps, or even a Fender Jazz would do as a fretless. Then, as I like Andy Fraser so much, I need an EB-3 Gibson and while we're at it an EB-2 would do as well or better still, a Guild Starfire with two Hagström pickups. Another Hiwatt head to complete my stereo setup or maybe an old solid state Sunn Coliseum or both....and another Dano Longhorn that could be modded as a fretless (great for rockabilly!)...and of course...

Something scary to see:

my crappy ol' 1978 left-handed custom SG with Roland synth guitar pick-up (attached with 'poster putty' so i can easily remove it when i want to!) Picture 050.jpgPicture 052.jpg

Images of Relative Timeworx Studio (now packed up and relocating)

Guitars
    Godin XTSA
    Gibson Blues Hawk
    Schecter Diamond Series TSH-12
    Guild D25 (not pictured)
    Guild D212M
    Breedlove Studio C250/SM 12 (not pictured)
    C.F.Martin D1
    C.F.Martin XC1T Eclipse (not pictured)
    C.F.Martin Backpacker

Basses
    Warwick Thumb Bass
    Veillette-Citron Limited Edition
    Tune Fretless Bass Maniac
    Tune TWX51 5-string
    Carlos Robelli UBD510 8-string
    Reynolds JR1000 Acoustic Bass

MIDI Controllers
    Zendrum ZXZW
    Roland D50 (2)
    Roland PK1 Bass Pedals (not pictured)
    Roland PD5 Drum Pads (not pictured)

Synth Racks
    EMU Vintage Keys
    Novation A Station
    Alesis D4
    Alesis DM5

Guitar Processing
    Boss GT-8
    Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth
    Mesa Boogie V-Twin

That hunk of swiss cheese with fridge magnets all over it is a compelling piece of art to hang on the wall!

PS I know it's a ZenDrum, but still....

How do you like that Godin XTSA? I have a SolidAC, which is basically an XTSA without the synth. It sounds and plays nice, but the bugger will NOT stay in tune, despite locking tuners and two luthiers working on the nut.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.