Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Name ONE guilty pleasure album!

"A lot of Giorgio's work is truly garbage but a lot of it is cool"
    Recently I was listening to a mix tape from thirty years ago- The set of Kraftwerk "The Model"-> Moroder "Midnight Express" -> Marianne Faithful "Broken English" sounded pretty good! I guess context can improve one's appreciation of 'guilty pleasure' music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Randy Vanwarmer - most of his albums

He's the 1-hit wonder whose hit was Just When I Needed You Most. He sadly died young, but IMO he was a gifted songwriter.

John Denver - I really liked him when I was younger. I still do really, though I don't have any of his albums. Another one who tragically died young, and if you know his life, he was a gifted, determined young musician. Come on, he wrote Leaving on a Jet Plane, the first song I learned (sort of ) on guitar.

The Alarm - pretty much everything by them.

The Wild Swans: Bringing Home the Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    "A lot of Giorgio's work is truly garbage but a lot of it is cool"
    Recently I was listening to a mix tape from thirty years ago- The set of Kraftwerk "The Model"-> Moroder "Midnight Express" -> Marianne Faithful "Broken English" sounded pretty good! I guess context can improve one's appreciation of 'guilty pleasure' music.
    You know about Einzelganger right?
    http://www.swanfungus.com/2010/10/gi...asis-1975.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xD5TXexIaw

Oh, on this site, there are things I dare not discuss- even though it's a fairly broad church. One artist in particular I've grown to like and admire after criticising them myself but would I mention them on here? Not a chance...probably not anywhere else either!

Prog would be viewed as such in some circles but it seems to me that's because they've been conditioned to do so. Some of the later prog-metal/neo-prog, I don't enjoy as much anyway- the former I often find too shred-heavy and lyrically dodgy, the latter too slick and heavy on digital keyboards. I do like Marillion from about 'Misplaced Childhood' onwards and some IQ, though- 'The Wake' in particular nails that gothic atmosphere.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-01-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I do not. I don't consider Giorgio Moroder a 'guilty pleasure' either. I'm shameless in my music addiction! I also like juxtaposing seemingly unrelated music and finding ways to make them work together.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack

With you lot probably my Coldplay albums.
    Depends which ones. I thought Viva la Vida etc was excellent, but the two that followed sounded quite lame.

Suspended
    It's probably not what was meant by the OP, but I do like "Why'd Ya Do It?" by Marianne Faithfull. Nice boys and girls are not supposed to listen to that sort of song.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I do not. I don't consider Giorgio Moroder a 'guilty pleasure' either. I'm shameless in my music addiction! I also like juxtaposing seemingly unrelated music and finding ways to make them work together.
    I don't know Moroder's own records, but his work with Donna Summer and Berlin certainly don't fit the "guilty pleasure" model as far as I'm concerned. But then, I don't really buy into guilty pleasures when it comes to music, as I said except maybe Mission Six (think about it: wouldn't you feel guilty if you liked even one song by a Christian boy band?!)

Now TV, maybe even movies, I can see guilty pleasures coming into play. Stuff like soap operas, B-movies (especially Eurospy, giallo, and Eurocrime pictures), and children's programming (I'm 41 years old, and lately I've been watching reruns of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood), those I feel guilty about. Well, I don't feel guilty about watching General Hospital anymore, since I found out about it's link to the prog rock world.

Sleeper Catcher by Little River Band (1978)

I don't feel guilty about anything I like. Perhaps I should feel guilty about liking the last Octopus album, but I don't. It brings strong memories.

Paul Revere and The Raiders - Spirit of 67. But yeah, I don't feel guilty, I like what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Paul Revere and The Raiders - Spirit of 67. But yeah, I don't feel guilty, I like what I like.
    Dude, that's a great album.

Madonna.

YANNI "Live at the Acropolis" !

THRILLER........MJ

Bruno Mars

Having been in high school at the height of disco, damn I hated that sh*t. I have dished out "many turn that crap off" looks to various women in my life over the years... but I like Donna Summers On The Radio greatest hits album. A once a year guilty pleasure. There, I said it!

Disco inferno.........

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    +1. Also The Turtles Battle of the Bands
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

K.C. and the Sunshine Band - The Best of KC and the Sunshine Band
    and no it is not an oxymoron
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I like Please Don't Go. That's a pretty good song, though I had forgotten that they had done it originally, as for a long time I associated with a mid 90's era cover, I think by KWS.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Sleeper Catcher by Little River Band (1978)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Madonna.
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    YANNI "Live at the Acropolis" !
    THRILLER........MJ
    Bruno Mars
    mmmhhh!!!!... I can see where some of you might feel guilt... I just find you guilty!! siffle.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Having been in high school at the height of disco, damn I hated that sh*t. I have dished out "many turn that crap off" looks to various women in my life over the years... but I like Donna Summers On The Radio greatest hits album. A once a year guilty pleasure. There, I said it!

But yeah, I did discard disco as pure crap back in high school... but when I see what's called dance music since (the last three decades and more), I kind of like some of it (mostly those killer funk pieces associated with Disco), though it's still hard no to smirk and KC&tSB (which was originally called KC & the Sunshine Junkanoo Band ) >> but but these guys were a talented band.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I saw them at Reading Rock Festival in the early 80s expecting nothing and they were very good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Disco inferno.........