Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: VDGG box!

The selling point for me was, yes, the live album but also fixing some of the faults with the last set of masters. Hearing this music in a brand new light is just too tempting to pass up. Unlike the bigger boxes I own--Gentle Giant, Hillage, soon to be Caravan--the focus for this box is on the new takes of the studio albums rather than mutliple live recordings some of which (if I'm being honest with myself) are spun once and shelved.

Of course, I can't wait to hear that Paris show, too! Live prime-era VdGG is the icing on the world.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ....is the icing on the world.
    Nice!

I went ahead and pre-ordered the 4-album pack instead of the full boxset. Looks like the new mixes/mastering are essential so going to throw 2005 ones out (sorry PH)

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    I went ahead and pre-ordered the 4-album pack instead of the full boxset. Looks like the new mixes/mastering are essential so going to throw 2005 ones out (sorry PH)
    I love the sound from the 2015 SHM SACD's that were released in Japan. I grabbed all of them as VDGG are one of my favorite bands. I'm really looking forward to hearing the sound on this box. So happy this new set is coming out.

I think the one remastered song, Refugees (single version), sounds great, but my feelings about the new remixes are um… mixed. With both Arrow and Pilgrims I often feel the organ is pushed to the background too much, while the sax often sounds too forward. Also, some sounds that I feel were meant to provide subtle atmosphere are also pushed forward. PH’s voice in Pilgrims sometimes sounds very upfront, is then pushed back, and then with the line ‘Walking in silence down the coast,’ all of a sudden it feels like I could be touching noses with him, so upfront is his voice there. And there are also some moments where crescendos in the music sound like they are being held back. On the other hand I do love the less distorted sound of PH’s voice in Arrow, so it’s not all negative, but all in all the balances of the new remixes sound a bit too much out of whack to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Godbluffer View Post
    I think the one remastered song, Refugees (single version), sounds great, but my feelings about the new remixes are um… mixed. With both Arrow and Pilgrims I often feel the organ is pushed to the background too much, while the sax often sounds too forward. Also, some sounds that I feel were meant to provide subtle atmosphere are also pushed forward. PH’s voice in Pilgrims sometimes sounds very upfront, is then pushed back, and then with the line ‘Walking in silence down the coast,’ all of a sudden it feels like I could be touching noses with him, so upfront is his voice there. And there are also some moments where crescendos in the music sound like they are being held back. On the other hand I do love the less distorted sound of PH’s voice in Arrow, so it’s not all negative, but all in all the balances of the new remixes sound a bit too much out of whack to my ears.
    The nice thing is that you have at least a couple of versions that are the original mix and the new remaster of the original mix will be in the box too. So you don't have to listen to 4 out of 20 discs if you don't want to.
    AND you'll have a 5.1 mix too!

IMO, absolutely no negatives about this from what I see and hear

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    The nice thing is that you have at least a couple of versions that are the original mix and the new remaster of the original mix will be in the box too. So you don't have to listen to 4 out of 20 discs if you don't want to.

True! I’m really looking forward to the remasters, and I might still get used to the new remixes. I could imagine a song like Still Life sounding a whole lot better in its instrumental break section where everything sounds awfully muffled in the original mix, so yeah, I’m aware we’re not seeing the complete picture yet. And yeah, 5.1 is an exciting prospect!

On the other hand I do love the less distorted sound of PH’s voice in Arrow, so it’s not all negative
    I’ve heard SWT’s remixes of Pilgrims and Killer (and I loved both) but has Arrow been released? I’ve not heard it, nor seen it online anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to listen

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post

Having now read the interview with SWT it’s clear the stereo remixes are more a byproduct of the 5.1 mixes on which the main effort was focused. Some aspects did indeed sound to me as the result of some kind of fold down of a 5.1 mix, where I had hoped a fully dedicated stereo remix would also have been done, but I now understand the reasoning behind it. It does make me all the more curious about the surround mixes, though, if that’s where all the love went into. Also very much hoping the surround mixes will be made available in Apple Music Dolby Atmos!

Having now read the interview with SWT it’s clear the stereo remixes are more a byproduct of the 5.1 mixes on which the main effort was focused. Some aspects did indeed sound to me as the result of some kind of fold down of a 5.1 mix, where I had hoped a fully dedicated stereo remix would also have been done, but I now understand the reasoning behind it. It does make me all the more curious about the surround mixes, though, if that’s where all the love went into. Also very much hoping the surround mixes will be made available in Apple Music Dolby Atmos!
    The way I think of remixes, is this, it's a different take on something familiar. I don't have to listen to it, but I will always want it in my collection just in case. Case in point the remix version of Fish Out of Water where the bass drum is totally buried. I've only listened to it a couple times but it's nice to have just for a comparison

Actually what was discussed in my interview has to do with the concept for the starting point of the mixing. The actual new stereo mix was developed alongside the 5.1 at the beginning, but was still created separately - not as a downmix - and it had just as much attention as the 5.1. So yes they are related, but neither is just a simply reprocessed version of the other.

If one was to tackle a totally independent radically different mix between the stereo and surround, then one would need much more time - and approval!!

Also I think that I already mentioned that the feedback and notes from the band were derived from the stereo versions. SWT

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    Actually what was discussed in my interview has to do with the concept for the starting point of the mixing. The actual new stereo mix was developed alongside the 5.1 at the beginning, but was still created separately - not as a downmix - and it had just as much attention as the 5.1. So yes they are related, but neither is just a simply reprocessed version of the other.

If one was to tackle a totally independent radically different mix between the stereo and surround, then one would need much more time - and approval!!

Also I think that I already mentioned that the feedback and notes from the band were derived from the stereo versions. SWT
    I stand corrected then. As a longtime fan - my username rather gives it away - every little corner of the sound picture of these albums is familiar and precious to me, so my response to any changes to that familiarity could be somewhat overcharged. The more I listen to the new versions, though, I’m starting to appreciate previously obscured parts and how they interact to make the arrangements gel in subtly different ways.

Thank you for the further clarification!

I stand corrected then. As a longtime fan - my username rather gives it away - every little corner of the sound picture of these albums is familiar and precious to me, so my response to any changes to that familiarity could be somewhat overcharged. The more I listen to the new versions, though, I’m starting to appreciate previously obscured parts and how they interact to make the arrangements gel in subtly different ways.

Thank you for the further clarification!
    Bless you! It's not about correcting, just clarification - I am fully aware of how sensitive it is to revisit such iconic works that were indeed created by my heroes back in the day..... there will always be something different to the originals whatever the approach is. As always it is never about trying to make better versions of the truly wonderful originals, just walking the tightrope between respect and enhancement...

I just hope that everyone can find something to enjoy from this project that has been one of my best studio creative experiences of all time. SWTx
    Last edited by ollie woodpecker; 07-16-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post

I think the biggest misconception when people are talking about remixes is how the process is done a lot of the time. Especially if you've never mixed music before. I've seen a lot of times where people talk about a remaster as if they're talking about her remix or talk about a remix as if they're talking about every master and not knowing how those two are completely different. I am absolutely looking forward to this and am so happy that there are remixes of those four albums both in Stereo and and 5.1

Sorry there are some typos in that last message

Don’t you have to first recreate the original stereo mix from the multitrack tapes as faithfully as possible in your modern software to then be able to expand it to surround?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    Don’t you have to first recreate the original stereo mix from the multitrack tapes as faithfully as possible in your modern software to then be able to expand it to surround?
    It's just not that straightforward - it depends on what the brief is!! Anything is possible.....

That is not a bad starting point, but not compulsory....

However I do talk all about it in this interview!

http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.u...iew_july21.htm
    Last edited by ollie woodpecker; 07-17-2021 at 03:06 AM.

Burning Shed release date still 6th August? Getting closer!

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Burning Shed release date still 6th August? Getting closer!
    No it's always officially been 3rd September...

Here's my email:

The Charisma Years (Signed Postcard) (preorder) - boxset (06-08-2021 availability)

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Here's my email:

The Charisma Years (Signed Postcard) (preorder) - boxset (06-08-2021 availability)
    Burning Shed had been incorrectly informed originally that was the release date - I alerted them to it and they updated it at the time. The official press release from Universal has always been 3rd September.

https://burningshed.com/van-der-graa..._category=true

Sad times.

Dont like to do this, but it's quite cheaper on Amazon. I just bought a couple of vinyls in a small shop for penitention.