Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: Surrender Of Silence released September 10

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Liked the instrumental guitar bits, but I really didn't like the song or the video. Far too corny for me. I agree with the guy in the comments who talks about the sameness of the sound. That stacked vocal harmony thing is so tired now.
    I think the similarity thing is why I haven't bothered picking up any new releases from Steve since Wolflight. And I hate to say, I've purchased every live DVD he's released, but it may be a case of overload for me.
    Part of the problem is he is releasing so much music and then touring and creating a DVD. Which is fine, and he does try to offer variety, but the Genesis stuff has been done til I've turned green, and I've even gotten to the point of skipping those songs and forwarding to his solo material.

I've said it before, I think the collaboration with Roger also being the producer is responsible for some of this "sameness) feeling we are getting.
    I would love for him to get uncomfortable and have an outside producer come in and push both him and Roger out of the comfort zone, and put some fresh ears on these new albums.

He DOES put on a great live show tho, and both my wife and I rank the Wolflight show we saw in Clearwater as one of the best concerts we've seen..period.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-02-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Oh dear, like most of Hackett's latter day stuff, this is not for me.

I only love Acolyte, Momentum and Bay of Kings. And after watching that video, that is not going to change. I'm glad he is still creating and making new music and there are people who continue to dig it, but I'll have to stick to his live shows.

Neil

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm honestly and terribly sorry to say that this song does nothing for me. The guitar playing is fine but there vocals and the rest are really not impressive.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm honestly and terribly sorry to say that this song does nothing for me. The guitar playing is fine but there vocals and the rest are really not impressive.
    Try listening to it without watching the video.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Try listening to it without watching the video.
    The song isn't hugely inventive that's for sure, just the cinematic music for the video which IMO is beautifully shot.

I like most elements of the song apart from the rhythm section. That's just not what I'm looking for from Steve.

I do get the sense he's gained a wider audience for his recent stuff via the Genesis Revisited touring. But I think his 90s/2000s rock albums were all better. A pity those didn't get more attention.

I liked it. Steve meets Mike Oldfield
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I do get the sense he's gained a wider audience for his recent stuff via the Genesis Revisited touring. But I think his 90s/2000s rock albums were all better. A pity those didn't get more attention.
    Which ones are you specifically referring to? I really like Darktown and To Watch The Storm.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I agree that the continued collaboration with Roger King is not going to yield anything terribly new in terms of production, arrangement and to an extent - songwriting. I wish he'd try someone new just to shake things up. But at this point in his life that's unlikely. They all work well together (with Jo) and Roger likely handles all of the orchestration and tech that Steve doesn't want to have to focus on. I'm sure it's a relatively easeful way of recording for them.

While it's not a captivating song, I do like his continued world music explorations and I do like that the McBroom sisters are featured, though they could have been more integrated in the mix throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I only love Acolyte, Momentum and Bay of Kings. And after watching that video, that is not going to change. I'm glad he is still creating and making new music and there are people who continue to dig it, but I'll have to stick to his live shows.

Neil

If you like those, did you check out his January release Under a Mediterranean Sky? Really nice acoustic album, his classical playing continues to get even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    If you like those, did you check out his January release Under a Mediterranean Sky? Really nice acoustic album, his classical playing continues to get even better.
    I did, but wasn't taken by all the orchestral parts that came along with the nylon playing. YMMV.

Neil

That stacked vocal harmony thing is so tired now.
    I swear, it just drains the life out of the music altogether. It's dreary-sounding and just lies there.

I agree with whoever said this is like Steve Hackett doing Mike Oldfield, and as much as I like MO, it's also not particularly fun, either. I'm glad Hackett wants to explore world music but like the blues in "Blues With a Feeling" it's not remotely a good fit for his style of interpretation.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

With each new release, which as a long-time fan I always buy, I find I'm less and less enamored of Steve's writing (though his guitar playing always sounds fresh). To me, many of the orchestrations are unnecessarily dense. In fact, in an interview from a few years back, Steve mentioned that Roger King had used over 300 tracks on some of the songs. It's his music, so he can do whatever pleases him, but I don't know... just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. Funnily enough, those are often the tracks that I end up listening to the least.

A cool idea I've had for a while would be for the band to write and rehearse a 36~40 minute album's worth of songs - vinyl length! - and then record the whole thing live in the studio, limiting themselves to the instruments and sounds they can produce at the moment and with minimal post-production. They could even film it, too. I think Steve and Co. would actually rise to that challenge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I swear, it just drains the life out of the music altogether. It's dreary-sounding and just lies there.

I agree with whoever said this is like Steve Hackett doing Mike Oldfield, and as much as I like MO, it's also not particularly fun, either. I'm glad Hackett wants to explore world music but like the blues in "Blues With a Feeling" it's not remotely a good fit for his style of interpretation.
    Yes, but there are at least two Mike Oldfields One is abstract electronic and the other is eclectic pop. I like both, but many people in the US I’ve known, think Tubular Bells. But Discovery with tasty vocals was played and sold mostly in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    With each new release, which as a long-time fan I always buy, I find I'm less and less enamored of Steve's writing (though his guitar playing always sounds fresh). To me, many of the orchestrations are unnecessarily dense. In fact, in an interview from a few years back, Steve mentioned that Roger King had used over 300 tracks on some of the songs. It's his music, so he can do whatever pleases him, but I don't know... just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. Funnily enough, those are often the tracks that I end up listening to the least.

A cool idea I've had for a while would be for the band to write and rehearse a 36~40 minute album's worth of songs - vinyl length! - and then record the whole thing live in the studio, limiting themselves to the instruments and sounds they can produce at the moment and with minimal post-production. They could even film it, too. I think Steve and Co. would actually rise to that challenge.
    How about he gets the band back together? Pete Hicks/Nick Magnus/John Hackett/John Shearer/Dik Cadbury. I bet it would kill.

Absolutely! I loved "The Shearer Band" when I saw them in October 1980 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland. I take it you were there, too? Killer show! The one they did there the next year was also good. I think Ian Mosely was the drummer (struggling after a bout with food poisoning), and Chas Cronk of Strawbs fame was the bassist. As long as Steve doesn't bring back the "non-musical" opening act that he had apparently requested for that tour. (A local paper described the unfortunate comedian as "not only being non-musical but also non-funny.")

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Which ones are you specifically referring to? I really like Darktown and To Watch The Storm.
    Those two, Guitar Noir and Wild Orchids. To a lesser extent, Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth as well.

Saw Hackett on the Cured tour in Nov. 1981 at the Dallas Agora. Same band. Great show. Only time in my life to see Steve live (so far). Steve never comes to Texas anymore. 😭 Also saw Peter Gabriel at the same club, possibly the same year. Another great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Absolutely! I loved "The Shearer Band" when I saw them in October 1980 at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland. I take it you were there, too? Killer show! The one they did there the next year was also good. I think Ian Mosely was the drummer (struggling after a bout with food poisoning), and Chas Cronk of Strawbs fame was the bassist. As long as Steve doesn't bring back the "non-musical" opening act that he had apparently requested for that tour. (A local paper described the unfortunate comedian as "not only being non-musical but also non-funny.")
    Yeah, I was at both of those gigs. 1980 was better, and was the best Hackett show I've been to, but 1981 was also great. The drunk kid trying to shake the comedian's hand was pretty funny.

He puked all over the floor, as I recall. The comedian responded: "Hey, the doctor called. Your brain's ready" and "That's a perfect example of what happens when a fetus doesn't get enough oxygen."

After that, it was all downhill.

Yeah, the puker and his gf sat in it through the show. I think he may have eventually passed out. She must have been so proud.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, the puker and his gf sat in it through the show. I think he may have eventually passed out. She must have been so proud.
    Today he's either a lawyer or politician.

From Steve's Blog. Background on Wingbeats.
    I'm thrilled to release Wingbeats, the first single from my new album, Surrender of Silence. Several of the tracks on the album have a strong, heavy tone, but this one has a joyful, up vibe...

The song was originally inspired by a visit I made to Ethiopia with my wife Jo. We were enthralled by the extraordinary landscape, from the rugged Simian Mountains to the wild Rift Valley with its rivers and ancient volcanoes, where we were welcomed warmly by the tribes. These people's way of life goes back a hundred thousand years or more. Their culture is fascinating and so different to ours, but we all immediately shared a sense of humour, a mutual appreciation and curiosity to learn about each other, and the joy of dancing and sharing a drink together.

The wilderness drew us in too. We came close to hippos and crocodiles, and at one point we were surrounded by about fifty baboons! Watching the eagle fly over that magnificent landscape from the mountains to the valley was a magical moment.

With the powerful combination of Amanda Lehmann with Lorelei and Durga McBroom singing with me, along with my guitar, Roger's expansive keys and tribal voices, this song takes on a whole life of its own as a big celebration of Africa's magic..