Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: When did the Rolling Stones stop writing songs?

Out of the 80's albums, Steel Wheels is my least favorite. It seemed like it tried to hard to be a Stones album. There was some good stuff on it but I thought the album lacked the "personality", if you will, of ER, TY, UC and DW.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    It seems the Stones basically gave up after Exile on Main Street. At least, I gave up on them thereafter.

As did I. I recall that the critical response to Exile upon its release was lukewarm but was reassessed as "great" some years thereafter.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I recall that the critical response to Exile upon its release was lukewarm but was reassessed as "great" some years thereafter.
    Indeed--I remember Rolling Stone being quite unenthusiastic about it...but then they had also been unenthusiastic about Sticky Fingers, praising only "Brown Sugar" (actually kind of damning it with faint praise) and "Moonlight Mile" ("a masterpiece").
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Out of the 80's albums, Steel Wheels is my least favorite. It seemed like it tried to hard to be a Stones album. There was some good stuff on it but I thought the album lacked the "personality", if you will, of ER, TY, UC and DW.

Bill
    I'm not a huge Stones fan aside from the 60's/70's hits but "Almost Here You Sigh" is brilliant to these ears. Having said that I've seen the Stones many times but I sure loved that Steel Wheels tour... Bill's last. Now his replacement Daryl Jones is amazing but not a Rolling Stone!

I wouldn't say AdmKirk's assessment of Steel Wheels is inaccurate, but the flailing around with 'modern' sounds on Undercover and Dirty Work is not something which suited them at all IMHO. The same thing affects Bridges To Babylon as well; things like 'Might As Well Get Juiced' (their 'When The Levee Breaks'?) are interesting musically but there's just too much going on in the production.

Steel Wheels' production has also undoubtedly dated quite poorly in places...'Terrifying' springs to mind with that dodgy keyboard sound on the chorus. But most of the actual songs hold up well. 'Terrifying' and 'Hearts For Sale' are the two songs I never thought amounted to anything on that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Indeed--I remember Rolling Stone being quite unenthusiastic about it...but then they had also been unenthusiastic about Sticky Fingers, praising only "Brown Sugar" (actually kind of damning it with faint praise) and "Moonlight Mile" ("a masterpiece").
    I recall in the Rolling Stone review of the movie Almost Famous, the reviewer quoted a line that referred to the magazine as having dissed not just Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs but also every Led Zeppelin record (which the reviewer admitted was completely true). In other words, they were always a bit tin eared at that magazine to begin with, even before they called Kurt Cobain "his generation's John Lennon (Cobain was a reasonably talented songwriter, but no way was he on the level of John Lennon).
    I wouldn't say AdmKirk's assessment of Steel Wheels is inaccurate, but the flailing around with 'modern' sounds on Undercover and Dirty Work is not something which suited them at all IMHO.
    Are you counting Undercover Of The Night among the "flailing around"? I always thought that was a good song. But I can hear it now as one of those tunes that Keith must have felt fell in the category of "Mick wanting to do what he heard at some dance club the night before".

I like the song but find it overproduced and don't like the syn-drums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Really it's two tracks I don't like, 'Indian Girl' and 'Where The Boys Go'. The latter is particularly embarrassing. The rest ranges from good to great. 'Down In The Hole' is one of their best blues tracks, IMHO. 'Emotional Rescue' itself, I think this was one that Keith didn't like but because it's still just a band playing, I find it much easier to like than Jagger's later flirtations with soul/disco etc.
    I might tend to agree with you about Where The Boys Go, that doesn't strike me as being a particularly good number. But I rather like Indian Girl.

Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson
    It's a damn shame most Americans only know a few bluesmen's names, because the same five or six guys show up in every blues compilation album. The field is really much deeper than that, and from my own personal viewpoint, much more musically interesting.

These two comps have a wider range but they're not sanctioned by the band:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/1059915

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...evils_jukebox/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A deluxe 30th Anniversary Edition of Keef's Talk is Cheap is coming soon. Here's a bonus track:

I just heard a boot of BBC performances that pretty much destroys the On the Air compilation. Yet another thing that ABKCO couldn't get right. [Edit cuz I forgot what acronym the thief used for his label]
    Last edited by Jerjo; 03-13-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There are some on that thread speculating that the compilation is something to hawk at the stadium tour and work on a real studio album continues. Jagger does occasionally post on social media photos of the band in the studio. So we'll see. Until then, enjoy that old video with Kristin Stewart.

I've always thought Ron Wood should be utilized more as a writer. Maybe he could provide Mick and Keith with a spark. He's written some good stuff.

Bill

One Hit is a classic. Loved the Jimmy Page solo on it too. Steve Lillywhite was not a good match with the Stones, but I still find Dirty Work an enjoyable album.

Bill

I didn't know that was Page on that solo but now that I listen it's pretty unmistakable (but a short solo for Jimmy).