Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 1970s Italian Prog (excluding Le Orme, PFM, and Banco

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Top 1970s Italian Prog (excluding Le Orme, PFM, and Banco

Excluding Le Orme, Banco, and PFM, who are the main Italian bands from the 1970s that match the "Big Three" or surpass them. A few that come to mind immediately are Celeste, Latte E. Meile, New Trolls, Semiramis, Alphataurus, Arti E Mestieri, Picchio Dal Pozzo. I think there are dozens of Italian bands that are as good or better then the "Big Three".

What are you top bands and why do you think they are equal or better compared to Le Orme, PFM, or Banco?

Some great ones listed there (although to me, New Trolls only made one good album).

Metamorfosi and Area are near the top of my list for sure, along with Corte Dei Miracoli, Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Museo Rosenbach, Il Rovescio Della Medaglia, Jumbo, Osanna, Maxophone, Pierrot Lunaire, Murple, Quella Vecchia Locanda... so much greatness. And the resurgence in the 2000s has been spectacular too, with a lot of modern Italian bands giving a nod to the greats of the 70s.

One of my favourite aspects of music to collect!
    Last edited by Progatron; 09-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Excluding Le Orme, Banco, and PFM, who are the main Italian bands from the 1970s that match the "Big Three" or surpass them. A few that come to mind immediately are Celeste, Latte E. Meile, New Trolls, Semiramis, Alphataurus, Arti E Mestieri, Picchio Dal Pozzo. I think there are dozens of Italian bands that are as good or better then the "Big Three".

What are you top bands and why do you think they are equal or better compared to Le Orme, PFM, or Banco?
    Difficult question as each of the "top 3" had 3-5 albums in the 70s that rank at or near the top of many lists. The majority of other Italian artists like Balletto di Bronzo (for example), had one monumentally praised album and really nothing else to show for. So it's hard to suggest Balletto or any other 1 off, 2 off band can compare with the combined output of the big 3. So I would think you'd have to almost distinguish between what "albums" were better and what "artists" were better if that makes sense.

With that in mind...I would only put Area, New Trolls, and Goblin as worthy contenders from an output standpoint.

But I would label all these albums as on par or superior with "the big 3" personally speaking:

Il Balletto di Bronzo, - Ys
    Apoteosi - s/t
    Alphataurus – s/t
    Arti + Mestieri - Tilt
    Cherry Five - s/t
    Corte dei Miracoli – s/t
    New Trolls – UT
    RDM - Contaminazione
    Area - Crac!
    Goblin - Roller
    Latte E Miele - Papillon
    Osanna - Palepoli
    Perigeo - Abbiamo Tutti Un Blues Da Piangere
    Quella Vecchia Locanda - s/t
    Maxophone – s/t
    Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I love those three (and Banco espec), but I'd personally rate the following above them:

Picchio dal Pozzo
    Jumbo
    Cervello
    Stormy Six
    AreA
    Il Balletto di Bronzo

These I'd rate particularly high as well:

Locanda delle Fate
    Arti e Mestieri
    Maxophone
    Mamma Non Piangere
    Procession
    Pierrot Lunaire
    Alusa Fallax
    Festa Mobile
    Flea/Etna
    Franco Battiato
    Roberto Colombo
    Museo Rosenbach
    Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno
    Libra (1st.)
    Ibis (Sun Supreme, very underrated)

There are shitloads of others, of course.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-06-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Difficult question as each of the "top 3" had 3-5 albums in the 70s that rank at or near the top of many lists. The majority of other Italian artists like Balletto di Bronzo (for example), had one monumentally praised album and really nothing else to show for. So it's hard to suggest Balletto or any other 1 off, 2 off band can compare with the combined output of the big 3. So I would think you'd have to almost distinguish between what "albums" were better and what "artists" were better if that makes sense.

With that in mind...I would only put Area, New Trolls, and Goblin as worthy contenders from an output standpoint.

But I would label all these albums as on par or superior with "the big 3" personally speaking:

Il Balletto di Bronzo, - Ys
    Apoteosi - s/t
    Alphataurus – s/t
    Arti + Mestieri - Tilt
    Cherry Five - s/t
    Corte dei Miracoli – s/t
    New Trolls – UT
    RDM - Contaminazione
    Area - Crac!
    Goblin - Roller
    Latte E Miele - Papillon
    Osanna - Palepoli
    Maxophone – s/t
    Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
    I see what you mean and was reflecting on this point when I started the thread. More than one band on my list only released one album. People can go with albums or artists.

Dont forget Orchestra Njervudarov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4o-uX8zKB8

To many good ones to mention just a few, but I second all those mentioned above. (there are much more like Campo di Marte, Eneide or Semiramis and Shamadi etc, etc.)

I don't rate bands by: this one is better than that one. I just enjoy the great music.
    Italy is a great place for Prog, if it's the 70s or the also great new scene.

I also like the fact that many of the bands mentioned are still around. There will be new studio albums by the big 3 soon.
    Jumbo just reformed! Maxophone are working on a new album. The new album by RDM will be out soon etc.etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I love those three (and Banco espec), but I'd personally rate the following above them:

Picchio dal Pozzo
    Ouch! I have travelled around Brittany this summer and one day I go to a second-hand record store in a small town, start flipping through CDs and suddenly notice the same titled Quella Vecchia Locanda disc at a reduced price. So I think to myself, isn't it this band that Scrotum regularly trumpets on the forum as the pinnacle of Italian prog, as the very top of Canterbury influenced bands? This must be it, so I pick it and carry back to the hotel, unwrap it, put into a discman, listen once, scratch my head, listen for the second time, all the time asking myself: what is going on?

Not a bad piece of music, but no way close to the summit of adventurous prog. And where the hell is the purported Canterbury influence? That Scrotum obviously must be hitting the age when people get sentimental and start to see their youthful infatuations through rose-coloured glasses, I say to myself, putting the disc back into case.

Today I am opening this thread and read: Picchio Dal Pozzo! Jeez, this was the name of the band! Those bloody multi-word Italian band names!

PS In the meanwhile, after a good few listens, in desperate search of elusive Canterbury gene, I started to like Quella Vecchia Locanda anyway...
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 09-03-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Some great ones listed there (although to me, New Trolls only made one good album).
    I'm guessing your referring to Atomic System (not sure). Concerto Grosso has some nice music on it.

They probably don't fit into the "Italian Prog" pigeonhole but I think Nova is worthy of consideration. I think some guy named Phil Collins plays on this

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I started to like Quella Vecchia Locanda anyway...
    I'm a bit sentimental about QVL too, in fact. They were in my first bin of buys from the Record Heaven mailorder retail (Sweden) back in '94, when labels such as Contempo, Fonit Cetra and Vetesse had recently (or as early as '89) started a reissue campaign on vinyl for Italian semi-obscure progressive. I remember others in that shipment; Metamorfosi's Inferno, Museo Rosenbach's Zarathustra, Reale Accademia di Musica's s/t, Ricordi D'Infanzia s/t, Cervello's Melos (still my single fave "symph" progressive title from Italy) and several Banco releases. I later bought an additional dozen-or-so vinyl reissues from Italy and ended up storing some 60+ of them for my collection. I prefer all this on vinyl, as most of the initial CD-reissues were rips anyway, often donning tedious hiss.

I read the story of how QVL were from Rome and used to rehearse in the basement of a tavern in the old Jewish ghetto quarters of the city, and that they basically drew their name from this particular place. On getting married three years later and going to Rome for my honeymoon, we came across this beautiful restaurant called La Vecchia Locanda and naturally sought table there - and guess what? We were seated in the basement, with the waiter assuring us that the tavern had not changed its name since the mid-60s and was definitely the only one carrying it in this part of town - i.e. the old ghetto. Alas we were in fact dining in what had once been QVL's rehearsal space.

True story.

I still like their debut (especially) very much. They were like a garage-version of PFM to my ears.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

my Italian 'A-list' through 1979 excluding the "big 3" (in order from FANTASTIC to GREAT):

Balletto di Bronzo, Il Ys
    Rovescio della Medaglia, Il Contaminazione
    Sensations' Fix Portable Madness
    Arti + Mestieri Tilt
    Latte E Miele Papillon
    Metamorfosi Inferno
    Volo, Il Essere O Non Essere
    Arti + Mestieri Giro Di Valzer Per Domani
    Basso, Luciano Voci
    Biglietto Per l'Inferno Biglietto Per l'Inferno
    Celeste I Suoni In Una Sfera
    Celeste Celeste (aka Principe Di Un Giorno)
    Latte E Miele Passio Secundum Mattheum
    Latte E Miele Aquile e Scoiattoli
    Quella Vecchia Locanda Quella Vecchia Locanda
    Rovescio della Medaglia, Il ..Giudizio Avrai
    Sensations' Fix Fragments of Light
    Volo, Il Il Volo
    Baricentro, Il Sconcerto
    Etna Etna
    Formula 3 Sognando e Risognando
    Locanda delle Fate Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu
    Maxophone Maxophone
    New Trolls Tempi Dispari
    Osanna Milano Calibro 9
    Sensations' Fix Finest Finger
    Venegoni & Co. Rumore Rosso

then there are these (which are VERY GOOD):

Apoteosi Apoteosi
    Area Crac!
    Baricentro, Il Trusciant
    Battiato, Franco Pollution
    Bella Band Bella Band
    Biglietto Per l'Inferno Il Tempo della Semina
    Celeste II
    Cervello Melos
    Colombo, Roberto Botte Da Orbi
    De Piscopo, Tullio Revolt Group Sotto e 'ncoppa
    Delirium III: Viaggio Negli Arcipelaghi del Tempo
    Falsini, Franco Cold Nose
    Formula 3 La Grande Casa
    Goblin Roller
    Ibis Sun Supreme
    Museo Rosenbach Zarathustra
    Osanna Palepoli
    Perigeo Genealogia
    Quella Vecchia Locanda Il Tempo della Gioia
    Sensations' Fix Sensations Fix
    Sensations' Fix Boxes Paradise
    Vuolo, Antonio & Elio Grande Desert

for me personally, no Symphonic Rock artists come close to classic PFM and Banco; not even any of the Brit bands (though some classic Crimso and Camel come close)

As for Le Orme; their classic material is great but not any greater than my Italian 'A-list' stuff
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 09-03-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

So, someone actually came in and awarded this thread a one-star rating? I guess the thought of a rock artist applying anything but English tongue and the other "as known" faccets is destined to remain a menace.

So, someone actually came in and awarded this thread a one-star rating? I guess the thought of a rock artist applying anything but English tongue and the other "as known" faccets is destined to remain a menace.
    The rating is for our holiday stories I suspect.

The rating is for our holiday stories I suspect.
    You mean Rufus never got around to a honeymoon?

You mean Rufus never got around to a honeymoon?
    No, he just cannot believe how foolish I turned out to be buying an album with no long jazzy improvisations.

Woofus is da shit!

It's great to know that in these advanced times there's finally hope even for those chanceless in the game of love; meet the...

I'm guessing your referring to Atomic System (not sure). Concerto Grosso has some nice music on it.
    I meant Concerto Grosso.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I meant Concerto Grosso.
    I like Tempi Dispari best, but CG1 is pretty solid too
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Given that I only really like Darwin's first three, PFM's first two and don't really appreciate any of the classic Le Orme, it won't be hard to find albums I consider at least equal to what those "top 3" bands have done

no order:

Jumbo - Vietato
    Area - Crac!
    Osanna - Palepoli
    Picchio dal Pozzo - s/t (count the other two in as well)
    Jumbo - DNA
    Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun
    Flea - Topo Nomi
    Celeste - Principe Di Un Giorno
    Garybaldy - Astrolabio
    Etna - Etna
    Perigeo - Genealogia
    Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo della Gioia
    Last edited by Trane; 09-04-2016 at 03:32 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's great to know that in these advanced times there's finally hope even for those chanceless in the game of love; meet the...
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Nice to see so much love for Corte dei Miracoli. That’s long been a personal fave of mine.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I meant Concerto Grosso.
    I thought he meant UT! So there's three great albums! I know some don't like UT but I do.

Buon Vecchio Charlie - Buon Vecchio Charlie (1971)
    Latte E Miele - Passio Secundum Mattheum (1972)
    Zauber - s/t (1978)

PS In the meanwhile, after a good few listens, in desperate search of elusive Canterbury gene, I started to like Quella Vecchia Locanda anyway...
    you know these already?

Brеznеv Fun Club - V Sperduto nella Camera Isterica (Il Misаntrоро Fеliсе/2015)
    Ske - Fraguglie (1000 Autunni/2011)
    Calomito - Rutz (Inaudito/2006)
    Moogg - Gli Arroganti (Le Ore i Giorni gli Anni/2011)
    Areknames - Alone (In Case of Loss../2010)
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 09-03-2016 at 11:48 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock