Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELO The Early Years - What DVD would you like to profile?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Mark, how much of Grobschitt's catalog do you own? I have a single release, Grobschnitt, Rockpommel's Land, that I'm guessing is one of their best. It's amoung the pile of all the CDs I own so will be very hard to find. I'd love to find something on video because I remember really liking the one release I own.
    I have 8 releases. Grobschnitt, Ballerman, Jumbo German/English version, Rockpommel's Land, Solar Music -Live, Volle Molle, Die Grobschnitt Story Vol. 1 and Die Grobschnitt Story Vol. 3. Rockpommel's is good, if a bit more in a Genesis direction, and it has the obligatory German weird vocal section that I could do without, but it's solid. Probably a 7 out of 10 for me. I would say their best albums that I have are Ballerman and Solar Music -Live. If you like Rockpommel's Land, I would highly recommend Anyone's Daughter -Adonis , which is somewhat in the same direction, but much better, imo. As for a video, the DVD-R of Rockpalast 1978 is a must. A scorching performance, plus all the Rock Theater, makes it pretty impressive.
    It appears that Rockpalast did get a DVD release as part of the Solar Movie Box Set in 2016, but that includes DVD, CDs, and LPs. It's on the pricey side.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    , Cadogan has a great, mellow Christmas vibe. Pairs perfectly with a drink and smoke of something, or tea or whatever.
    So you could wear a cardigan while watching Cadogan and it would be perfectly fine?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's so well filmed that you'll be fine with the DVD! I originally had the DVD, then upgraded to the Blu-Ray which I think came out later, but honestly it's hard to improve on the image quality. Like h's recent h Natural livestream and Marillion's earlier "Christmas in the Chapel" DVD, Cadogan has a great, mellow Christmas vibe. Pairs perfectly with a drink and smoke of something, or tea or whatever. And you can't beat $10 with a stick!
    Great! I was able to buy the Blue Ray version. I'll have to hunt down Christmas In The Chapel. Last weekend I watched Marillion's show at Royal Albert Hall. I was amazed that the show looked sold out! The FEAR set was decent and I think they did well with their older material with the orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have 8 releases. Grobschnitt, Ballerman, Jumbo German/English version, Rockpommel's Land, Solar Music -Live, Volle Molle, Die Grobschnitt Story Vol. 1 and Die Grobschnitt Story Vol. 3. Rockpommel's is good, if a bit more in a Genesis direction, and it has the obligatory German weird vocal section that I could do without, but it's solid. Probably a 7 out of 10 for me. I would say their best albums that I have are Ballerman and Solar Music -Live. If you like Rockpommel's Land, I would highly recommend Anyone's Daughter -Adonis , which is somewhat in the same direction, but much better, imo. As for a video, the DVD-R of Rockpalast 1978 is a must. A scorching performance, plus all the Rock Theater, makes it pretty impressive. it appears that Rockpalast did get a DVD release as part of the Solar Movie Box Set in 2016, but that includes DVD, CDs, and LPs. It's on the pricey side.
    You're definitely a fan. I'll explore further and start with Anyone's Daughter/Adonis and Solar Music. I'll also see if I can hunt down the Rockoplast DVD.

So you could wear a cardigan while watching Cadogan and it would be perfectly fine?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I believe Christmas in the Chapel is OOP and much sought after, but worth it if you can find it.

I believe Christmas in the Chapel is OOP and much sought after, but worth it if you can find it.

Okay. Did you watch the Royal Albert Hall show?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

That Marillion at Cadogen Hall show is sublime.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Okay. Did you watch the Royal Albert Hall show?
    Of course! It's very good.

You're definitely a fan. I'll explore further and start with Anyone's Daughter/Adonis and Solar Music. I'll also see if I can hunt down the Rockoplast DVD.

Just to be clear -Anyone's Daughter is a different German band, unrelated to Grobschnitt. Solar Music -Live is an instrumental album, and many would rate it Grobschnitt's best.

Just to be clear -Anyone's Daughter is a different German band, unrelated to Grobschnitt. Solar Music -Live is an instrumental album, and many would rate it Grobschnitt's best.
    Doh!! I'll start with Solar Music Live.

I bought a copy off Ebay from a seller in Germany for $22 - including shipping. I'm optimistic!

It's new, a 2014 remaster.

It was the first Grobschnitt album I had copied on a cassettetape. A friend of mine didn't like it, because of the cover, where some people dressed like Ku Klux Klan people on the cover.

Most of the 70s ELO footage I've seen has been lacking. Usually the strings were out of tune or inaudible. Didn't really get a good ELO live DVD until Jeff did his ELO thing in the last decade. That of course is a different ELO than the classic one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Most of the 70s ELO footage I've seen has been lacking. Usually the strings were out of tune or inaudible. Didn't really get a good ELO live DVD until Jeff did his ELO thing in the last decade. That of course is a different ELO than the classic one.
    The cellists were always bouncing around the stage, so you get the intonation issues. I think Jeff eventually figured out he needed to have Richard Tandy cover for them on the keyboards. And then on the Out Of The Blue tour (and I imagine, the Time tour, also) they were playing along to backing tapes, which presumably went a long way toward padding out the strings, among other things.

BTW, I recall Jeff Lynne one ELO concert thing on PBS, I think, back around the time he put out the Zoom album, circa 2001, which was pretty good, but who knows how much post production there was on that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The cellists were always bouncing around the stage, so you get the intonation issues. I think Jeff eventually figured out he needed to have Richard Tandy cover for them on the keyboards. And then on the Out Of The Blue tour (and I imagine, the Time tour, also) they were playing along to backing tapes, which presumably went a long way toward padding out the strings, among other things.

BTW, I recall Jeff Lynne one ELO concert thing on PBS, I think, back around the time he put out the Zoom album, circa 2001, which was pretty good, but who knows how much post production there was on that.
    The DVD I mentioned at the start of this thread included 3 shows - one from Brunnel University from 1973 and Rockaplast in 1975 and then a 1976 show. The 73 show was only 4 songs (unfortunately) but the cellists weren't jumping around as they did subsequently in the 1975 show. The sound quality was an issue as the Brunnel show was recorded so long ago. I also appreciated that Mik Kaminski on violin had time in the band to solo (later shows were more focused on Lynn). The cellist, if I recall correctly, were more focused on playing music and jumping around in this embroyotic (sp) stage in their approach.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-31-2020 at 02:51 PM.

The DVD I mentioned at the start of this thread included 3 shows - one from Brunnel University from 1973 and Rockaplast in 1975 and then a 1976 show. The 73 show was only 4 songs (unfortunately) but the cellists weren't jumping around as they did subsequently in the 1975 show. The sound quality was an issue as the Brunnel show was recorded so long ago. I also appreciated that Mik Kaminski on violin had time in the band to solo (later shows were more focused on Lynn). The cellist, if I recall correctly, were more focused on playing music and jumping around in this embroyotic (sp) stage in their approach.
    I'll have to see if that footage is on Youtube. The one I remember seeing, I think it was from Midnight Special, they were doing Hall Of The Mountain King. I think Mike Edwards was still one of the cellists at that point, and him and Hugh McDowell are doing this dancing thing, not really bouncing around, but they're sort of doing stuff that I think makes it really difficult to play in tune. They probably couldn't hear themselves too well either, so that probably was also a contributing factor.

I think by the time of the Out Of The Blue tour, I think Hugh McDowell and Melvin Gale were mostly there "for show", except for maybe on something like Showdown, where they actualy more stay in spot for more or less the entire song, or some of the ballads. But the uptempo numbers, they're doing all these Chuck Berry style maneuvers.