Thread: David Stern dies after agonizing, haunted last few days

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

David Stern dies after agonizing, haunted last few days

I'm shocked no one's posted about this yet. It probably shouldn't be a Seattle area sports fan starting a post about the expiration of one David Stern. But to give the devil his due, his manipulation of the 1980 NBA draft lottery that sent Magic Johnson to LA and Larry Bird to Boston was a master stroke. The NBA wouldn't be what it is today, nay, basketball the world over, wouldn't be what it is today without David Stern.

If only Seattle City council had kissed David Stern's ring when they had the chance, we'd still be talking about Seattle Sonics basketball. Instead, we've been waiting for this day as most Seattle sports fans believe it would take Stern's passing before his influence would cease and we'd get another NBA team. (The NBA, while Stern was still alive, has been doing some crazy ass s*** like keeping weak franchises like the Pelicans and the Hornets afloat while leaving money on the table in Seattle)
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

There's kind of a love/hate relationship with him, here in the Phoenix area. On the one hand, he suspended two of the Suns' best players during a playoff run, arguably for flimsy reasons. On the other hand, he brought 2 all star games to the Phoenix area.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He certainly did a huge amount for the global growth of basketball while still being the villain of the piece quite frequently. RIP.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    But to give the devil his due, his manipulation of the 1980 NBA draft lottery that sent Magic Johnson to LA and Larry Bird to Boston was a master stroke.
    That was before his time. He didn't take over until 1984.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    That was before his time. He didn't take over until 1984.
    His involvement with the NBA started in the late '70s and 1980 was in charge of marketing, public relations and business affairs. It has long been rumored that he had a hand in the draft I mentioned. He denied it of course.

No!!

The year is starting out just like 2016.

Of all the commissioners across the 4 major sports in my lifetime, he was probably the best.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    No!!

The year is starting out just like 2016.
    🤔

Sam Wyche and David Stern?

I hope that's ironic humor

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Of all the commissioners across the 4 major sports in my lifetime, he was probably the best.
    To be fair, that bar is rather low.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    To be fair, that bar is rather low.
    That is true.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm shocked no one's posted about this yet. It probably shouldn't be a Seattle area sports fan starting a post about the expiration of one David Stern. But to give the devil his due, his manipulation of the 1980 NBA draft lottery that sent Magic Johnson to LA and Larry Bird to Boston was a master stroke. The NBA wouldn't be what it is today, nay, basketball the world over, wouldn't be what it is today without David Stern.
    As someone said, that was before his time. But he did rig the draft so the Knicks would get Patrick Ewing.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    As someone said, that was before his time. But he did rig the draft so the Knicks would get Patrick Ewing.
    And I explained, he was head of marketing and business affairs at the time and pretty much was given carte blanche by existing commissioner Larry O'Brien. The idea that Stern orchestrated the '80 trade is a story that has floated around sports talk for years. Its not something I came up with on my own. There was even a big dustup twixt Stern and Jim Rome because Rome asked him straight up about it in an interview (8-9 years ago).