Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Dysfunctional Rock Band Report: Joey Kramer Sues Aerosmith

Today's Dysfunctional Rock Band Report: Joey Kramer Sues Aerosmith

Next album may be titled: Bag o' Dicks

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/joey...smith-lawsuit/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw them in 1975, when they put on a good show. They have since evolved into a bickering bag of dicks. If a band can't get along with their lifetime drummer, what good are they?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Wow.........

I don’t like Aerosmith on ANY level at all, but even so, this makes me sad....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Aerosmith - In its day, we called their music "Butt-Rock" or "skank rock" - all the skanks (ie.. girls we could never get) liked Aerosmith. I wasnt a fan until the 90's when Rock went to hell, and I got into some of their 70's stuff, just to fill the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Aerosmith - In its day, we called their music "Butt-Rock" or "skank rock" - all the skanks (ie.. girls we could never get) liked Aerosmith. I wasnt a fan until the 90's when Rock went to hell, and I got into some of their 70's stuff, just to fill the time.
    I have also heard them referred to as "a poor mans Rolling Stones"; however that's better than they deserve. Never understood the overwhelming popularity for the band though, especially all of the accolades for Joe Perry (frequently near the top of best rock guitarist lists) and for Tyler (best vocalist in Rock). It completely misses the mark with me, but that's how the old argument goes about taste in music.

Wikipedia even goes so far to say that they are often referred to as the "Greatest American Rock Band of All Time".

I have Rocks and Get Your Wings. I got these sometime after their original release of course but I thought Rocks was alright and GYW was a new sound. Couldn't stomach anything else that I heard. And of course I have to ask, who is the greatest American rock band?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Gotta love that Rock ‘n’ Roll spirit.

“Yeah, yeah baby, better give me some lovin’ tonight, or my lawyers will be in touch!”

Aeromsith: We're not getting along with our drummer
    Van Halen: Hold my beer

Aerosmith's peak was only a few albums and while they packed them in while on the road, they're well past their sell date. Greatest American band - that's a tossup. CCR certainly cranked out a ton of quality singles and were both critically acclaimed and quite popular. The Eagles sold more albums than anyone (though without Joe Walsh, can you call them a rock band). CSN leans more to folk than rock. The Band certainly could be considered a contender even though the quality drop off was steep. The Byrds had a nice but short run. The initial and the final lineup of the Allman Brothers Band could wipe the floor with Aerosmith. Then there's the Dead but that's an acquired taste. I don't know if there's a definitive answer. Then's there's a ton of alternative/punk/new wave bands that were far more influential or chart dominating than the bad boys from Boston. Speaking of which, J. Geils Band in their prime could have blown them out of the theater.

Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, and Rocks were as solid hard rock albums as you could get, very little filler and tons of attitude. I prefer Rocks because it's just relentlessly HARD until the power ballad at the end. Toys in the Attic set the formula but Rocks perfected it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I used to have "Rocks" and "Toys in the Attic" on 8-track. Never bought anything since then.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I used to have "Rocks" and "Toys in the Attic" on 8-track. Never bought anything since then.
    That's the two I own. Both excellent. Too bad they sucked when I saw them perform in the 1970s.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's the two I own. Both excellent. Too bad they sucked when I saw them perform in the 1970s.
    I had always heard how much they sucked in concert back then. Never saw them, though.

I did see the Joe Perry Project with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I am a bit surprised at the negative comments for theses guys. For me, they were a band I grew up with. I own all of their studio albums. There are some duds for sure, but some of their albums were great, especially the debut up through "Rocks". After that it gets more hit and miss, but "Night In The Ruts", "Pump", "Get A Grip" are all really good hard rock albums IMO.

Banned
    Yes, believe it or not, various sources give it to Aerosmith (primarily on the largest number of record units sold). Here's one list of the 11 Greatest American Rock Bands from TCMAG:

1) Aerosmith
    2) The Doors
    3) Guns And Roses
    4) Metallica
    5) The Ramones
    6) Nirvana
    7) Van Halen
    8) REM
    9) ZZ Top
    10) The Eagles
    11) The Allman Brothers Band

Note: No honorable mention to the Beach Boys, Kiss, Bon Jovi, etc.

Saw them once in the late 70's (part of that CBS World Tour), and they were OK, but nothing to write home about. Maybe I had high expectations, as I grew up with them from Get Your Wings until I dropped them with Ruts.
    Actually, Aerosmith was one of my earliest hard rock band: I think only Sab, Purple and Zep were there before.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I wasnt a fan until the 90's when Rock went to hell, and I got into some of their 70's stuff, just to fill the time.
    The opposite for me: Could never get back on the train in the late 80's/90's

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Aerosmith's peak was only a few albums and while they packed them in while on the road, they're well past their sell date.

Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, and Rocks were as solid hard rock albums as you could get, very little filler and tons of attitude. I prefer Rocks because it's just relentlessly HARD until the power ballad at the end. Toys in the Attic set the formula but Rocks perfected it.
    Those are the main three of course, but GYW gets my nod with Rocks second... Toys I find riddled with weaker tracks, but the two hits are tops. I even thend to prefer Draw The Line, where they try to go a tiny bit prog on two or three tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am a bit surprised at the negative comments for theses guys. For me, they were a band I grew up with. I own all of their studio albums. There are some duds for sure, but some of their albums were great, especially the debut up through "Rocks". After that it gets more hit and miss, but "Night In The Ruts", "Pump", "Get A Grip" are all really good hard rock albums IMO.
    yup, also surprised by the negative comms. All I own is Live Bootleg and GYW, the rest is condensed on a CDr compilation. Never cared with their second heyday era, though.

Sure, these guys are a bunch of dicks (well the toxic twitts are, anyways), but the current crisis sucks shit. Even if Kramer was playing from a wheelchair, they should stick with him, especially on these hi-profile thingies
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Count me as a one-time fan. I saw them in concert twice in the '80s. I saw Tyler and Perry... (hmm, Tyler Perry) sit in with the Canuckian band Rock 'N Hyde at the Club Sode in Vancouver BC (afterward Bruce Dickinson and one of IM's guitarists did the same). I burnt out on them after Pump though. Tyler has been the poster child for dysfunction since Get A Grip. Plus, they've sold out on so many levels. I don't think they've written any of their own music since Pump. They went from being bad boys of rock to central casting for "bad boy rock" but haven't really been that for decades.

But by the same token, they're no different than the Stones in the "sell out/farm out" department. I stopped giving a shit a about them long before I jumped off the Aerosmith band wagon.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm not surprised by anything of this nature anymore. If Greg Allman can run off Dicky Betts for trumped up reasons anything is possible.

What shit, after friends and partners have been together so long, to let...whatever the hell it actually is, get in the way.

They haven't been much of a band since Permanent Vacation. Just an industry clone of a band. Kramer deserves to be with the band. The band doesn't deserve him.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm not surprised by anything of this nature anymore. If Greg Allman can run off Dicky Betts for trumped up reasons anything is possible.
    Gregg Allman did an excellent job of leading ABB after Dickey's departure. What did Dicky do? The ABB last album, Hittin' The Note, is as good as anything they did with Duane, Barry, and Dicky. The BB is one of my all time favourite bands.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

From what I heard about the band's reasons for ditching Dickey, it was a long time comin'. His drinking and temper were out of control. Warren didn't rejoin the band until Betts left - that says something right there. Not that Gregg was any kind of saint in the addictive behavior department but he did eventually get cleaned up, especially after that embarrassing award show appearance. Where's guitargeek, he'll know the details.

This looks sorta the same as the whole fiasco with Bill Ward/Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    would've Zep and Who done the same with Bonhamm & Loon, though?

I mean Caravan stuck with Coughlan until the end.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Or Blackmore and Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I had always heard how much they sucked in concert back then. Never saw them, though.

Their double live album (in comparison to the studio versions) is a solid testimony of your argument.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    After that it gets more hit and miss, but "Night In The Ruts", "Pump", "Get A Grip" are all really good hard rock albums IMO.
    "Rock In A Hard Place", "Done With Mirrors" and "Permanent Vacation" are solid hard rock albums. Better than "Pump" to my ears. Their real bad ones are "Draw The Line", this laughable live thing and everything post 1989.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS